Glenn unfazed by job debate

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder today swept aside talk that he could be replaced as manager of Newcastle United by insisting: "I am focusing on the job in hand."

The bookies say that Roeder is 5-6 on to still be manager of United at the start of next season with Sam Allardyce, who walked out on Bolton Wanderers, a 3-1 shot.

Roeder told me today: "Newcastle United is a massive club and we are always going to be an easy target as far as managers and players are concerned.

"And as a result I have to say that all this speculation does not surprise me. But I have not given it a moment's thought or consideration - it has all gone over the top of my head.

"Really, I have more important things to deal with, especially Blackburn Rovers at St James' Park tomorrow.

"This is what I have been focusing on since Reading on Monday night, and nobody knows more than me just how important it is for us to win our last home game of the season.

"Yes, it has been a difficult season because there have been so many twists and turns.

"I don't know of any manager - in or out of the game - who could have coped with the amount of injuries we have had. But at least tomorrow our fans will see both Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi back at St James' Park.

"We are looking for them to score us some goals, and over a full season we could have expected 35 goals from them. How many more points would this have given us?"

Roeder is already working on his targets for next season and has had several meetings with his chairman Freddy Shepherd on this score.

There are more meetings planned, and it would not surprise me if they met again in the next 24 hours as United are determined to bring in new players sooner rather than later.

The current crop of United players know that they should have done better this season and there will be no lap of honour after tomorrow's game.

Roeder hopes to have both his key midfielders Nicky Butt and Scott Parker back in action but Shay Given again misses out.

The United boss said: "I will assess both Nicky and Scott after training today, but Shay is still building up to full fitness and will not be involved.

"But I have to say that Steve Harper has done nothing wrong as his deputy.

"Antoine Sibierski will not be ready again until the start of next season because of his broken arm and Emre's ankle injury is one which will keep him out for six weeks."

The number of fans who will have watched United this season will go over the two million mark tomorrow.

They go in against Rovers having played in front of 1,978,585 fans at an average of over 35,000 per game.

And there is the injury excuse again...

Unfortunately the manager rumours aren't the only things that seem to go over his head...

It is an excuse, but it is also a reason.

We've often had very bad injury spells, and on several occasions must have topped the league on injuries over the years (why I'm not quite sure a "curse", a bad training pitch, or just bad luck who knows), but this season has been exceptional even for us.

If Man U had had our number, length and consistency of injuries this year there's no way they'd be above 7th, even with more quality and strength in depth than us.

That's not to say they excuse Roeder completely or anything like that, but the legitimate criticism of him has to be tempered with the reality that anyone would have struggled with our injuries this year, that much is true.

I agree with you to an extent FOP, but look at Arsenal who have lost Henry, Gallas, Ljungberg and Van Persie for extended periods of the season. They've still managed to finish top 4, and have good runs in the cups. All while playing great football. I can't remember injuries being trotted out too often by Wenger.

I agree with you to an extent FOP, but look at Arsenal who have lost Henry, Gallas, Ljungberg and Van Persie for extended periods of the season. They've still managed to finish top 4, and have good runs in the cups. All while playing great football. I can't remember injuries being trotted out too often by Wenger.

Aye but they've still had less (in number, duration and consistency) than us, and I'd say their squad is a fair bit stronger, and frankly Wenger is a much better manager (but all things being equal, if he'd swapped jobs with Roeder for this year I couldn't see him getting us much better than 7-8th ish with thing how they have been, although it's arguable he'd have bought better in the summer and maybe found decent backup in January).

Unfortunately the manager rumours aren't the only things that seem to go over his head...

We've often had very bad injury spells, and on several occasions must have topped the league on injuries over the years (why I'm not quite sure a "curse", a bad training pitch, or just bad luck who knows), but this season has been exceptional even for us.

If Man U had had our number, length and consistency of injuries this year there's no way they'd be above 7th, even with more quality and strength in depth than us.

That's not to say they excuse Roeder completely or anything like that, but the legitimate criticism of him has to be tempered with the reality that anyone would have struggled with our injuries this year, that much is true.

It is a reason to a certain extent. But what makes it a piss poor excuse is for someone saying he won't use it as an excuse and then babbling about it again and again.

And the other thing is that I don't look at who was injured (and of course there were a lot injuries), but who was available for selection. In most games we could still field a strong team that should have been able to play better football and get more points.

Stat Attack!

Our worst seasons in the prem are 97/98 where we won only 11 games and 04/05 with 10 and our points tally was each time 44 points.

So far this season we have 42 points (2 games left) and have won 11 games.

We have also lost 16 games so far this season which equals the worst of 97/98 with the two games left.

As far as entertainment goes how about this. In our first season in the prem we scored 82 goals and let in 41. This season we have managed 37 goals conceding 44.

Guest alex

It's not so much whether or not it's a valid excuse. It's more that Roeder claimed he wouldn't use it as an excuse.

It's not so much whether or not it's a valid excuse. It's more that Roeder claimed he wouldn't use it as an excuse.

Aye he's been a bit hypocritical, but then that was much earlier in the season, and to completely ignore the injures we had would be a bit insane (just look at our current list even, much smaller than it has been, but still fairly nasty).

Frankly if say Gullit had had this years injury list we'd have seen him running about the place in a nuns habit screaming for the evil injury spirits to be gone.

Guest alex

Aye he's been a bit hypocritical, but then that was much earlier in the season, and to completely ignore the injures we had would be a bit insane (just look at our current list even, much smaller than it has been, but still fairly nasty).

Frankly if say Gullit had had this years injury list we'd have seen him running about the place in a nuns habit screaming for the evil injury spirits to be gone.

Aye, he just made a rod for his own back with those initial comments. Not the first time either :panic:

Its not really a "debate" is it! Its all NUFC fans wanting him out and Roeder and perhaps Fat Fred thinking he should stay!

As for the injuries, they are a totally valid excuse when you have the freakish level of players out that we've had, but only so far. He has every right not to have challenged to break into the top 4 with these injuries, he even has a slight reason for not getting 5th, but that's the end of it.

We've all seen the absolute shower of shit the prem is beyond the top 4, the teams i've watched us lose to at St. James have been the worst in years and with all the injuries a decent manager would have taken most of them apart, not drawn with and lost to them.

Away from home even with the injuries there is no excusing the gutless, clueless and pointless performances we turn in.

And his masterplan during games when we are beyond shite of sitting there doing fuck all, changing fuck all at halftime and then waiting till its too late and still usually cocking up the changes means he has no right to be whinging about excuses. If he can't even be arsed to do everything within his power to try and win games (change tactics, formation, use subs, try something different, not play ludicrous long ball football with short strikers etc.) then he can quit crying about injuries!

How about this little Gem:

GLENN ROEDER could not care less about anyone trying to nick his job at Newcastle.

When the Toon boss recalls the brain tumour which left him fighting for his life four years ago, no battle is too great.

Roeder came out fighting last night after Sam Allardyce was targeted to replace him following a season of discontent on Tyneside.

The heat is on to produce a winning end to the season, starting today against Blackburn, with Allardyce waiting in the wings and the Toon Army growing restless.

Newcastle have failed to score at St James’ Park since February 10 and are set to end a season of mediocrity in mid-table.

But Roeder said: “Do you not think we’re despondent? I think it was Alan Ball coined the phrase ‘I pick the players up but who picks the manager up?’.

“Four years ago, when I was on the canvas, I could’ve curled up and died but I got up and fought on.

“The one thing I learned from West Ham was it wasn’t personal, it goes with being the holder of the job.

“I’ve had praise and a few slaps up here so it really doesn’t bother me. I thought what Roy Keane said about football not being the most important thing in his life was right.”

Free agent Allardyce is the man wanted to replace Roeder but the current boss added: “This club, for whatever reason, is a soft easy target for speculation — whether it be players or managers.

“It was Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness and now me.

“The good thing with my personality is that I’ve slept very well, it’s gone right over my head, I’ve only focused on winning this last home game.

“That’s my nature, my personality. There are other issues in my life that don’t compare with speculation about my job.

“I’ve had several meetings with the chairman recently and there’s more planned. All we’ve discussed is what we’re looking to do next year — that’s all topics, not just players.

We’ve had Owen and Ameobi out and, conservatively, there’s 35 goals between them in a full season.

“Anybody, I don’t care who it is — be it a manager in work or a manager out of work — would have struggled with Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi out. You can’t get away from that fact.

“It’s not been a great season but no one’s trying to make out it is.

“I’ve never brushed things under the carpet, I won’t try to deceive, con or cheat people.

“We’ve not done anywhere near as well as we could have done but there are strong reasons for that.”

England striker Owen will make his first appearance at St James’ Park since December 2005 but the row over drafting him into the national side continues to rumble on.

The hitman has been pencilled in for the England B international against Albania on May 25 at Burnley.

But Roeder rapped: “Does Michael Owen need to play for England B before he puts on the England shirt again? I would say no.

“That would not be my decision but I would be surprised and I would not want him to play an England B game.

“I do not think it is necessary for him to have to play in the B game, personally. Training sessions will be more than enough.”

OK Glenn, where's the evidence of that ?

Erm Glen, are you not forgetting that if you add in those two you have to take two players out. Probably Martins and Sib, so you kinda loose their goals. Then judging by todays play, having Owen isnt going to change thing when those around him dont play to his strengths...