Sam - a view

Craig

How ridiculous. How much better off do you think Bolton would have been with a fit Owen on their side, not to mention the other tens of millions our managers, including Roeder, have wasted?

:panic:

Owen isn't a Bolton player.

Roeder's the first manager we've had in a while that's been too reluctant to spend our money.

Digging up quotes from the past proves nothing btw, as things have changed, massively. Notice you didn't get a quote from me there btw. :panic:

How have things changed massively? We're higher in the league and whoever comes in will have a full close season to prepare. But for some reason we'll now accept a manager most of us never wanted when Souness was dragging us down the pan and we desperately needed a quick fix.

Owen isn't a "Roeder" player either though, is he? If Allerdyce was manager here, why would he not benefit from Owen as much or if not more? How long will Owen be happy playing in this shite team? Can he play with Martins anyway? There's too many hypotheticals, your point is unproven and plain daft imo.

As for Roeder not spending money, I reckon he's probably spent close to what Allerdyce has in ten years (net). If anyone has the figures, I'd be interested. We'll see where we finish in the league, it could still be our worst ever finish, but I'll tell you one thing, I don't think anyone has felt this negative about the club since the bad old days.

Well done Roeder. :panic:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And just so you don't feel left out...

Renton,

Please tell me what Bruce, O'Leary, Curbishley, Allardyce, Roeder and Burley have WON and then we can agree that I'm right.

You don't like Souness? Fine, that's completely your right, but some alternatives have won fuck all.

Winning is sometimes a lucky habit beyond any reason.

36077[/snapback]

So you list a bunch of managers who have won nothing, what does that prove? I wouldn't want any of them here anyway.

Sep 20 2005.

All the candidates I did want are unavailable now btw, Allerdyce was probably about 5th on my list. He's also just had his best season.

I felt worse under Souness

I feel much worse now, as I have completely lost faith in Shepherd to appoint a decent manager. He had the perfect opportunity to get the right man last summer, but blew it, again.

How ridiculous. How much better off do you think Bolton would have been with a fit Owen on their side, not to mention the other tens of millions our managers, including Roeder, have wasted?

Roeder's the first manager we've had in a while that's been too reluctant to spend our money.

Digging up quotes from the past proves nothing btw, as things have changed, massively. Notice you didn't get a quote from me there btw. :panic:

How have things changed massively? We're higher in the league and whoever comes in will have a full close season to prepare. But for some reason we'll now accept a manager most of us never wanted when Souness was dragging us down the pan and we desperately needed a quick fix.

Owen isn't a "Roeder" player either though, is he? If Allerdyce was manager here, why would he not benefit from Owen as much or if not more? How long will Owen be happy playing in this shite team? Can he play with Martins anyway? There's too many hypotheticals, your point is unproven and plain daft imo.

As for Roeder not spending money, I reckon he's probably spent close to what Allerdyce has in ten years (net). If anyone has the figures, I'd be interested. We'll see where we finish in the league, it could still be our worst ever finish, but I'll tell you one thing, I don't think anyone has felt this negative about the club since the bad old days.

Owen has been missing from Roeders team though, not from Allardyces. That's not hypothetical.

Roeder's spent £15M and recouped £7M+ in a year and a half. Not exactly free and easy with the cash.

Couldn't tell you Allardyce's total spend (half of it went in his own pocket) but he paid £12.5M for Anelka and Diouff, which I'll concede has to be regarded as better business than Martins and Duff at least in the short term.

My point still stands though. His transfer record would shit in Souness's mouth, but no-one wanted him then.

Edited by Happy Face

I feel much worse now, as I have completely lost faith in Shepherd to appoint a decent manager. He had the perfect opportunity to get the right man last summer, but blew it, again.

Who?

Typical response, is it my job to have an in depth knowledge of club managers around the world? Am I paid £700k a year salary and (formerly) several million quid in dividends? As it happens, I always wanted O'Neill, and I am nearly certain he would have moved the club forward. But one thing I did know last summer, is that Roeder was a shit choice. There isn't a manager in the premiership with a worse record, is there?

The guy is a clueless yes man with no charisma or inspirational qualities at all. His signings have been on the main shit or inappropriate, or non-existent. He doesn't have the first knowledge of tactics, and his support staff are even more clueless than him (Pearson possibly excepted). Most people on this forum are aware of this, some I suspect are still in denial. Why wasn't the fat man who's paid a fortune aware of it?

I'm literally amazed anyone can prefer Roeder to Allerdyce. :panic:

Who?

Typical response, is it my job to have an in depth knowledge of club managers around the world? Am I paid £700k a year salary and (formerly) several million quid in dividends? As it happens, I always wanted O'Neill, and I am nearly certain he would have moved the club forward. But one thing I did know last summer, is that Roeder was a shit choice. There isn't a manager in the premiership with a worse record, is there?

The guy is a clueless yes man with no charisma or inspirational qualities at all. His signings have been on the main shit or inappropriate, or non-existent. He doesn't have the first knowledge of tactics, and his support staff are even more clueless than him (Pearson possibly excepted). Most people on this forum are aware of this, some I suspect are still in denial. Why wasn't the fat man who's paid a fortune aware of it?

If we'd appointed Allardyce a year ago and the debate was "Should we get Roeder?" I'd be saying "No we shouldn't". I just see it as change for the sake of change that takes the pressure of Shepherd for a while.

Owen has been missing from Roeders team though, not from Allardyces. That's not hypothetical.

Roeder's spent £15M and recouped £7M+ in a year and a half. Not exactly free and easy with the cash.

Couldn't tell you Allardyce's total spend (half of it went in his own pocket) but he paid £12.5M for Anelka and Diouff, which I'll concede has to be regarded as better business than Martins and Duff at least in the short term.

My point still stands though. His transfer record would shit in Souness's mouth, but no-one wanted him then.

That outgoing money you mention, how big a loss does that represent? Is losing money on a player now a bonus? Also, does the quality of the team Roeder inherited not count for anything (even taking into account injuries)?

This is daft, we both clearly agree you can't compare the situations of Roeder and Allerdyce, their respective clubs are too different. Personally I think you're living in cuckoo land, and I suspect few other people share your views on Roeder, as will become apparent by the attendance next year if Roeder stays on.

Who?

If we'd appointed Allardyce a year ago and the debate was "Should we get Roeder?" I'd be saying "No we shouldn't". I just see it as change for the sake of change that takes the pressure of Shepherd for a while.

You're making the assumption an Allerdyce NUFC team would fare as badly as Roeder's. We're not going to agree on that.

That outgoing money you mention, how big a loss does that represent? Is losing money on a player now a bonus? Also, does the quality of the team Roeder inherited not count for anything (even taking into account injuries)?

This is daft, we both clearly agree you can't compare the situations of Roeder and Allerdyce, their respective clubs are too different. Personally I think you're living in cuckoo land, and I suspect few other people share your views on Roeder, as will become apparent by the attendance next year if Roeder stays on.

My view on Roeder is he's not good enough. It's the same as my view on Allardyce.

My view on Roeder is he's not good enough. It's the same as my view on Allardyce.

Your solution seems to be do nothing then, and see what happens. That's the worst course imo. Allerdyce has a much better record and there is at least a chance with him.

Who?

:panic: I only asked as you phrased it like you meant a specific person.

Your solution seems to be do nothing then, and see what happens. That's the worst course imo. Allerdyce has a much better record and there is at least a chance with him.

Maybe you're right, none of us have the answers.

But it means paying off the remaining year of Roeder's contract plus whatever Bolton chase when he takes over elsewhere, him coming without the backroom staff that have helped him get Bolton where they are and starting from scratch again.

It might be worth it. Maybe I've just become as old and cynical as the .com boys.

Might not have been war years then, he played in a few friendlies for them though, just assumed it was during the war years. Mind, in them days, the rivalry wasn't so strong or even existed, on a football level that is. Not by much anyway.

Don't agree with that.

Somewhere I've got a video on Jackie Milburn and it starts with him stood on the old Gallowgate Terrace quoting the following:

Round here you're born either black and white or red and white. I was fortunate to get to play for this time and, to be honest, I wish I was just starting.