3 year old girl gone missing in portugal

Smooth Operator

Nice to see they didn't have to queue for 30 mins this morning to check in with the rest of us. ;)

your choice - next time just put

"possible Child murderer" on your passport................

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portuguese police say they have found firm DNA evidence that the body of Madeleine McCann was in the family's hire car five weeks after she went missing, sources have told Sky News.

Sky crime correspondent Martin Brunt, speaking from Portimao, said police felt the find was "damning" evidence yet.

He said the sample of blood sent to the Forensic Science Service in Birmingham carried three matches of Madeleine's DNA.

"The samples that came back last week produced three matches to Madeleine's DNA," Brunt said.

"In the apartment police found one full match on a windowsill. That perhaps is not so important as Madeleine had been staying in the apartment for two weeks.

"In the hire car, five weeks after Madeleine's disappearance, police found a partial match.

"That might be explained by transfer onto clothes.

"But the crucial thing is that police have also found a second full match.

"Police say that is the most damning evidence that has been returned by the tests.

"It shows, as far as they are concerned, the presence of Madeleine's body in the car five weeks after she disappeared."

Brunt said the DNA was found in the boot of the hire car.

A partial match of DNA could be explained by particles of hair or skin from Madeleine's toys being put in the car, Brunt said.

But he said the full DNA match that had been found was more difficult for the McCanns to explain.

"According to police, the sample could not have come from a transfer. Blood on a body that was five weeks old would not have produced such a confident and full match," he said.

Meanwhile, papers outlining any evidence against Gerry and Kate McCann will be passed to the Public Prosecutor in Portugal, probably on Tuesday.

With the couple back in their home in Rothley, Leicestershire, the prosecutor will consider whether to lay any charges.

He will be considering the circumstances surrounding Madeleine's disappearance on May 3, Portuguese police spokesman Olegario Sousa added.

Brunt said the prosecutor had a number of options and may call for more evidence or advise on the investigation.

Family spokesman Brian Kennedy, who is Madeleine's great uncle, said of the family: "They are holding up extremely well."

The Portimao-based prosecutor, Jose Cunha de Magalhaes e Meneses, will look at the DNA evidence as well as the statements given by the McCanns to see if there is a case against the couple.

Chief Inspector Sousa said Portuguese police decided to pass the file on to the prosecutor despite not having all the results from forensic tests being carried out in Birmingham.

The samples were taken from the McCanns' holiday apartment and hire car.

The McCanns have been told they could be called back to Portugal "at any time".

Under Portuguese law the couple could keep their arguido - suspect - status for up to eight months, although the prosecutor could decide to extend that to a year.

Portuguese detectives appear to be working on the theory that Mrs McCann killed her daughter by accident and covered up the death by claiming she was abducted.

According to reports in Portugal, police are to make new searches as part of the investigation.

Thats fucking sick to be fair. (if true)

Everyone loves a witch hunt especially our oh so righteous papers...

What right do the Sun / Mirror /NOTW to be so damning? (all those papers are the same to be me)

;)

Pretty damning evidence to be fair, especially since all the forensic tests were conducted by British police.

I'm not so sure, that DNA stuff is a bit vague, a partial match is very iffy given they are talking about family members, and even a full match could still occur through cross contamination (given how sensitive the test we're talking about are).

It would be pretty amazing to manage to hide the body for that long and then move it after 5 weeks without being seen by anyone given the level of press and police scrutiny or indeed leaving more trace (I would have thought a 5 week dead body in Portugal would be pretty messy).

I'm still of the opinion that the police don't really have a clue and are just flailing around looking for any conviction now.

I know its just "allegedly" but this bit about finding needles gets me - if it turns out that all else aside they were sedating their kids with injections they should be struck off at the very least - then again you've got to get to Shipman's level before the GMC act usually.

I know its just "allegedly" but this bit about finding needles gets me - if it turns out that all else aside they were sedating their kids with injections they should be struck off at the very least - then again you've got to get to Shipman's level before the GMC act usually.

That's kinda another weird bit, even if they were (which is probably pretty unlikely - for a start there'd likely to have been physical evidence), being GPs they'd not be very likely to get such a thing fatally wrong.

Unless it was intentional, which is about the only think that might explain how they managed to stay so clam, but then that's not what the police are saying.

One thing is for sure, the pressure is definitely off the Portuguese police now.

Since when did someone being a "profesional" automatically be infallible ?

Well I wouldn't say doing it in the first place would be "professional", but then there doesn't actually seem to be any evidence they were doing that in the first place (other than basically gossip).

But it still seems to be trying to concoct a story trying to fit the "evidence", rather than any evidence really pointing to these sequence of events.

If they did kill her (accidentally or purposely), to then somehow hide the body in the period of time they had, then keep it hidden for 5 weeks, then move the body under such a glare of publicity with such little trace to some where else, well it is pretty impressive in a sick way. ;)

But it is probably more likely that someone could snatch her and then lose themselves (and maybe her) in the vastness of continental europe than pull the above off.

Pretty damning evidence to be fair, especially since all the forensic tests were conducted by British police.

I'm not so sure, that DNA stuff is a bit vague, a partial match is very iffy given they are talking about family members, and even a full match could still occur through cross contamination (given how sensitive the test we're talking about are).

It would be pretty amazing to manage to hide the body for that long and then move it after 5 weeks without being seen by anyone given the level of press and police scrutiny or indeed leaving more trace (I would have thought a 5 week dead body in Portugal would be pretty messy).

I'm still of the opinion that the police don't really have a clue and are just flailing around looking for any conviction now.

The police are 99% certain it's her DNA in the boot of the car. That's much more accurate than you being 'not so sure'.

If they have had the kid's body in a rental car weeks after she went "missing", the Portuguese police want shot with shit for not finding her in all of the exhaustive searches they did in the aftermath of her first going missing. I mean Christ, where could they possibly have hidden her?!

The police are 99% certain it's her DNA in the boot of the car. That's much more accurate than you being 'not so sure'.

If it's a full match in the boot of the car it means her DNA has been found there (still not 100% but close enough not to probably matter). If it's a partial match found there given that her family and siblings may also give a partial match it means much less (DNA testing is nothing like as infallible as people assume, and when it comes to closely related people even less so - another reason why a UK mandatory DNA database is a hugely bad idea, but that is by the by).

But even in the case of a full match finding her DNA there it doesn't necessarily mean her body had to have been there to give such a match, cross contamination is also highly possible (unless it came from some source that obviously wasn't cross contamination - if they had that I would have thought they'd have charged them).

Like I say unless they have something much stronger than what has been leaked (and I would have though they'd not have let them leave Portugal if they had), it just seems to be trying to make any story fit the circumstances and what they have so far (that had been publicly released or leaked anyway) could fit a LOT of difference scenarios equally well, most of them completely innocent.

I wouldn't say they didn't do such a thing (who knows, unless she is found alive or dead to solve it), but at the moment it seems highly unlikely that they would have gotten away with it for so long and there seems to be nothing to directly suggest they did do such a thing other than a tale made up to vaguely fit a few facts.

Of course the police are gonna say its her dna in the car - they want the dna database and they want dna tests to be infallible.

The uk police (and the government) have a lot riding on the result of this case.

Of course the police are gonna say its her dna in the car - they want the dna database and they want dna tests to be infallible.

The uk police (and the government) have a lot riding on the result of this case.

All bollocks tbf.

Police do it here too...

Been doing it for years, although I'm not sure it was technically legal until about 2005.

Without getting too sick here, don't you think a doctor of his skill would know of a particular way to get rid of a body?

Yeh i think they do phones/emails/facebook/myspace/Msn and probably forums ;)

I dont know.

Depends what kind of Dr's they are but i reckon they'd be more efficient than most...

Reckon if it turns out to be them, all the money donated to them (which I now guess is paying for the legal fees) will be paid back?

Gerry is a heart surgeon is he not? Bit handy with a knife?

Apologies if that offends by the way, I'm not trying to make a joke of things.

Yeh i know...

I dont think they did though...

And if they did they should be relocated and have their names changed etc...

Society is hateful enough allready and if they did it it was obviously an accident