3 year old girl gone missing in portugal

Smooth Operator

From a parental perspective, it must be heart-wrenching for the McCanns to see this lad reunited with his family while Madelaine's whereabouts are still unanswered.

Madeline's mother knows exacty what happened. You can tell by the cold, dead eyes. imo.

:lol:

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my sisters got married in the same church as the McCanns.

Anyway, I think they have been given a lot of sympathy due to their class. Imagine if they were a working class family on holiday in Benidorm, and the parents left the kid(s) alone whilst they went out on the lash in the nightclubs. The newspapers would tear them to shreds and turn them into sausages. But because they're doctors, lawyers or whatever, everyone is offering all the help they can. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Anyway, I think they have been given a lot of sympathy due to their class. Imagine if they were a working class family on holiday in Benidorm, and the parents left the kid(s) alone whilst they went out on the lash in the nightclubs. The newspapers would tear them to shreds and turn them into sausages. But because they're doctors, lawyers or whatever, everyone is offering all the help they can. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

And rightly so. :lol:

As far as I remember, didn't they leave her in the flat when they went for a meal? Not the same as leaving her on her own all night, and my parents admit they frequently did the same to me when I was Maddy's age. Perhaps they were being naive and a bit careless but it's easy to demonise them with hindsight. No-one regrets that decision more than they do.

As far as I remember, didn't they leave her in the flat when they went for a meal? Not the same as leaving her on her own all night, and my parents admit they frequently did the same to me when I was Maddy's age. Perhaps they were being naive and a bit careless but it's easy to demonise them with hindsight. No-one regrets that decision more than they do.

Absolute bollocks.

Do you have a little girl of your own?

"A bit careless" to leave 3 small children on their own in a foreign country.......

Fuck me, what would you class as being damn right reckless?

Absolute bollocks.

"A bit careless" to leave 3 small children on their own in a foreign country.......

Like I said, it's as far as I remember, but weren't they left in a flat whilst they went for a meal? Thousands of parents will have done the same thing and thought nothing of it before, they were just desperately unlucky.

No, I don't have any children, but as I pointed out my parents admit doing the same to me and I don't consider them 'damn right reckless'.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'the foreign country' bit either, it's not as if children have never been kidnapped/murdered/etc in this country. Are foreigners somehow less trustworthy?

Absolute bollocks.

Like I said, it's as far as I remember, but weren't they left in a flat whilst they went for a meal? Thousands of parents will have done the same thing and thought nothing of it before, they were just desperately unlucky.

No, I don't have any children, but as I pointed out my parents admit doing the same to me and I don't consider them 'damn right reckless'.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'the foreign country' bit either, it's not as if children have never been kidnapped/murdered/etc in this country. Are foreigners somehow less trustworthy?

At the time and since, I have never met anyone who would do this.

I also guarantee that when / if you have a small child, you will never leave her alone in a flat in a foreign country (or this country) while you go out for the evening.

They should have been prosecuted and would have been treated much worse had they been a couple of council dwellers on benefits.

Absolute bollocks.

of course they are

they already had the muslim prisoners way of life imposed upon them

it could happen to you

Absolute bollocks.

of course they are

they already had the muslim prisoners way of life imposed upon them

it could happen to you

You are a tit of the highest order. Stick to football manager :D

Absolute bollocks.

At the time and since, I have never met anyone who would do this.

I also guarantee that when / if you have a small child, you will never leave her alone in a flat in a foreign country (or this country) while you go out for the evening.

They should have been prosecuted and would have been treated much worse had they been a couple of council dwellers on benefits.

Well I probably won't now, what WITH HAVING THE BENEFIT OF FUCKING HINDSIGHT AND ALL.

Re being prosecuted, what absolute nonsense. They should be punished for having their daughter taken away from them? Righto. And I disagree with your second sentence, seeing as the world and its dog has been decrying them as the worst parents ever.

From a parental perspective, it must be heart-wrenching for the McCanns to see this lad reunited with his family while Madelaine's whereabouts are still unanswered.

Madeline's mother knows exacty what happened. You can tell by the cold, dead eyes. imo.

It's opinion I'm afraid Dr Ken - not everyone reacts the same way and the truth is we just don't know.

But IYAM I think it's hard for a person who continues to command the media spotlight from time to time to keep the same 'story' going without cracking. My genuine belief now is that what they are guilty of is leaving their children alone while they ate and no more.

But again, that's my opinion and I could well be wrong.

She won't crack, she's made of stone that one. The husband might though.

Aye, although I was one of them in the early days, it's funny how many people are still shouting about how reckless and disgusting it was for the parents to leave her in the room whilst they ate. When I was a nipper my Dad would quite happily allow me to stand in the back of the car with my hands resting on the back of the two front seats while he drove along the motorway at 70mph. These days, we wouldn't dare allow our kids to be in the back without booster seats and being strapped in.

Likewise when I was a school, visitors were able to wander in and out of the premises without a care in the world. But that was all before Thomas Hamilton woke up in a bad mood.

Times change as does people's behaviours but the change is generally led by an event such as this.

Aye, although I was one of them in the early days, it's funny how many people are still shouting about how reckless and disgusting it was for the parents to leave her in the room whilst they ate. When I was a nipper my Dad would quite happily allow me to stand in the back of the car with my hands resting on the back of the two front seats while he drove along the motorway at 70mph. These days, we wouldn't dare allow our kids to be in the back without booster seats and being strapped in.

Likewise when I was a school, visitors were able to wander in and out of the premises without a care in the world. But that was all before Thomas Hamilton woke up in a bad mood.

Times change as does people's behaviours but the change is generally led by an event such as this.

Im sorry, but you are just wrong with regard to this.

Find me someone on here out of the 5000 or so members who will admit to going away on holiday and leaving an under five alone in an apartment while they went out for the night.

Im not being perdantic here, just as the father of three daughters I really cant stress enough how alien such an action would be to me.

Im sorry, but you are just wrong with regard to this.

Find me someone on here out of the 5000 or so members who will admit to going away on holiday and leaving an under five alone in an apartment while they went out for the night.

Im not being perdantic here, just as the father of three daughters I really cant stress enough how alien such an action would be to me.

If you're asking if I'd have done it with my kids before what happened to Madelaine, then the answer is no. However there are plenty of people who would have done - some who probably still would and think nothing of it (kids are asleep, etc).

I've known people who've left their kids in the house while they've walked to the convenience store for a pint of milk or something or other - I wouldn't dream of doing that either but some will.

It's not like they were out on the piss, they went for a meal in the apartment complex and were within a couple of hundred yards of the apartment iirc.

Not clever but hardly neglect.

not clever tho' - owt could happen

and in this case it did..............

we carried our kids with us everywhere - in one famous case even put the bairn (who was asleep) under the table in a bar in Kansas City in his carrycot............ they thought us a bit odd but .....

I'd also add those sorts of places, i.e. a tapas bar in a place like that are very 'child-friendly' anyway so I don't see why they 'had' to leave them in the room. Easy with hindsight but I agree with people who say they should never have been left alone at that age.

I know there are lots of allegations surrounding their actions but I think the one where they wouldn't pay what was for them pennies for a child minding service was pretty unchallenged.

There was also the one where they had done the same the night before and Maddy had cried which was iffy.

I know there are lots of allegations surrounding their actions but I think the one where they wouldn't pay what was for them pennies for a child minding service was pretty unchallenged.

There was also the one where they had done the same the night before and Maddy had cried which was iffy.

I'd forgotten about that as well.

not clever tho' - owt could happen

and in this case it did..............

we carried our kids with us everywhere - in one famous case even put the bairn (who was asleep) under the table in a bar in Kansas City in his carrycot............ they thought us a bit odd but .....

must ba an age thing when we went on holiday with the bairns they came everywhere with us in pushchairs sat asleep next to table, if they woke up you walked them. Like Rob says got some funny looks our James was 17 and his siter 19 :lol:

Nothing worse than seeing a distressed toddler in a restaurant/bar at 11 o'clock mind. They should have got a sitter but I hardly thin what they did was the crime of the century. Unles Dr Kenneth is right of course.

Nothing worse than seeing a distressed toddler in a restaurant/bar at 11 o'clock mind. They should have got a sitter but I hardly thin what they did was the crime of the century. Unles Dr Kenneth is right of course.

No one is saying it is, it was just irresponsible but they paid a terrible price. They'll regret it until the day they die. Re: the point about seeing kids out late at night. No one is compelled to take their children out that late, are they? That's irresponsible too.

No one is saying it is, it was just irresponsible but they paid a terrible price. They'll regret it until the day they die. Re: the point about seeing kids out late at night. No one is compelled to take their children out that late, are they? That's irresponsible too.

Completely agree mate. Obviously I wouldn't wish what happened to them on anyone. I can see why they can't let go (they should though for the sake of their other kids).

On that line you may question whether you'd totally trust an 'on site' nanny service. I know I would question it but then having kids that have gone through that age, I've ensuring that my social activities fit in around them - not the other way around.

On that line you may question whether you'd totally trust an 'on site' nanny service. I know I would question it but then having kids that have gone through that age, I've ensuring that my social activities fit in around them - not the other way around.

Aye but if they were that arsed rather than (as I suspect) just being tight, they wouldn't have left them in the first place :lol: