Roeder rules out Sol bid

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has ruled out making a bid for Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell.

The former England stopper has enjoyed an excellent season at Portsmouth, justifying Harry Redknapp's decision to sign him on a free transfer from Arsenal.

Newcastle were linked with Campbell last summer, but Roeder stressed at that time that he did not want to sign players over the age of 30.

He has made a slight amendment to this policy as he said this week that he was looking for an experienced central-defender.

This statement fuelled suggestions Roeder would lodge a summer bid for Campbell, but he has ruled out spending money on players over the age of 30.

"As far as I am aware Sol Campbell when he signed for Portsmouth signed for two years," Roeder said on Sky Sports News.

"As memory serves, he has done one of those two years which suggests he has another year to do.

"We certainly would not want to be buying any player over 30 and spending money on transfer fees because that is dead money and would be a poor policy in my view."

The former England stopper has enjoyed an excellent season at Portsmouth, justifying Harry Redknapp's decision to sign him on a free transfer from Arsenal.

Newcastle were linked with Campbell last summer, but Roeder stressed at that time that he did not want to sign players over the age of 30.

He has made a slight amendment to this policy as he said this week that he was looking for an experienced central-defender.

This statement fuelled suggestions Roeder would lodge a summer bid for Campbell, but he has ruled out spending money on players over the age of 30.

"As far as I am aware Sol Campbell when he signed for Portsmouth signed for two years," Roeder said on Sky Sports News.

"As memory serves, he has done one of those two years which suggests he has another year to do.

"We certainly would not want to be buying any player over 30 and spending money on transfer fees because that is dead money and would be a poor policy in my view."

You what?? :panic:

Why not just say he's half way through a two year deal and therefore would cost us money, you fucking mong!

Why the need for all this "if memory serves me" bollocks? :panic:

Why not just say he's half way through a two year deal and therefore would cost us money, you fucking mong!

At least he didn't say: "As far as Glenn Roeder's memory serves, Glenn Roeder thinks he has another year to do!"

Or alternatively, sign him in the first fucking place when he was available for nowt!

Subtle message "I think he's got two years but my mind's not what it was because I had a brain tumour. arent I clever to be managing a football club despite all that"

The press are setting him up for a slagging now, this is getting daft. Perhaps if people didn't believe the papers so much...

Spot on,they brainwash the media and get what they want,the turning point in all this was the Bobby Robson carry on in italia 90,since then the rags have dictated

The press are setting him up for a slagging now, this is getting daft. Perhaps if people didn't believe the papers so much...

Spot on,they brainwash the media and get what they want,the turning point in all this was the Bobby Robson carry on in italia 90,since then the rags have dictated

Eh? Who's "they" in this context?

It was Roeder's mate Oliver who was saying "Sol approached Newcastle last week because his girlfriend's from Newcastle" in response to Redknapp who talks much more sense saying there was no way Sol was leaving Portsmouth.

It was Roeder's mate Oliver who was saying "Sol approached Newcastle last week because his girlfriend's from Newcastle" in response to Redknapp who talks much more sense saying there was no way Sol was leaving Portsmouth.

:panic: