Roeder dismisses Martins talk

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has rubbished speculation linking Obafemi Martins with a move away from Newcastle.

Reports have suggested that Valencia are interested in the Nigerian striker and could make a massive bid for him if they lose David Villa this summer.

Martins insisted earlier this week that he was happy at St James' Park and Roeder has now warned Valencia not to bother pursuing him.

"The only way Oba is going to Valencia is on his holidays," said Roeder.

"He signed a five-year contract and he is here for the long haul. I would expect Oba to be here for the next four years after this one.

"He has only just started his career here. He has scored 17 goals and had enough opportunities to have scored 30.

"Why would we want to let him go already? Oba over the next two years is only going to get better and better."

Meanwhile, Roeder has reiterated that he is not overly concerned by rumours about his own future at Newcastle.

Asked if he would still be in charge at the start of next season, Roeder said: "I do not see why I shouldn't be confident.

"We have had major problems at the club this year that any manager in work or out of work would have had.

"Newcastle United has always been an easy touch for speculation. Why? That is for other people to say.

"But for me personally, my character and my personality, luckily it goes straight over the top of my head. I have not given it a second's thought."

"The only way Oba is going to Valencia is on his holidays," said Roeder.

Not trying to have a go, but that little gem must have been in the holster a while.

Up there with Freddy's cringeworthy "If you can't say something good about someone.......He's gone. Good" nugget. And who can forget the classic "I tell my wife everynight that I lover her..." line.