DVD drives have stopped working

Jimbo

Suddenly both of my DVD drives have stopped working, they appear in device manager but with an warning, when I check the properties I get this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I have tried clicking the update driver button, but it tells me that the best driver is already in use, I've also shut down and unplugged the mains but this has made no difference.

Suddenly both of my DVD drives have stopped working, they appear in device manager but with an warning, when I check the properties I get this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I have tried clicking the update driver button, but it tells me that the best driver is already in use, I've also shut down and unplugged the mains but this has made no difference.

Oh this sounds so familiar............

Let me guess, Vista still installed?

Oh this sounds so familiar............

Let me guess, Vista still installed?

The frustrating thing is they have been working fine for the past 2 months of using Vista.

* Just been given the following advice, don't know if this helps you or not Craig, I'll try it myself when I get home.

Try this.

Click Start and type regedit in the search box and hit enter on your keyboard

This will start the registry editor. Be carefull in here as you can really hose things

if you mess around. Browse to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Make sure that the right pane displays information pertaining to your CD/DVD Drive. Right click

on UpperFilters and select Delete, then do the same to LowerFilters. It is possible you will only see

one or the other and not both. Just delete wichever one is present. Once you have deleted these

entries close regedit and reboot your computer. Your DVD drive should be working now.

Whoever has told you that is a fucking genius!!

The reg key was in fact (or on my machine anyway):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

There was no key for upper filters but there was one there for lower filters. I deleted it, rebooted the PC and hey presto, a fully functioning and visible CD-ROM in Windows Explorer! :panic:

OK, I've done it, I've deleted both higher and lower filters but its no different, I've also tried uninstalling both drives in device manager, when I rebooted Vista tried to install both devices but couldn't.

** Just done a system restore and they are back and functioning, would be nice to know why it happend though.

Did you install anything or 'rejig' your system?

Nope seemed to happen all on its own accord.