Freddy rejects Big Sam rumours

khay

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has rejected reports linking Sam Allardyce with a move to St James' Park.

Reports have suggested Newcastle have sounded out Allardyce about replacing the under-fire Glenn Roeder on Tyneside.

Allardyce, who is currently out of work after leaving Bolton last weekend, has been continually linked with a move to Newcastle.

Shepherd has moved to rubbish the rumours and he insists he has not spoken to Allardyce.

"I've never spoken to Sam Allardyce and he has never spoken to me," Shepherd told the Sunday Sun.

"I don't know where all this is coming from."

Shepherd is adamant that he has made no decision on the future of Roeder and will wait until the end of the season before doing anything.

"I'm not going to comment any more on it," added Shepherd. "I had the same thing last year. It is getting crazy.

"We'll get the season out of the way, and then start saying things."

Meanwhile, Roeder has pleaded with the club to give him time to prove himself.

Roeder's position has come under threat after another disappointing season for The Magpies.

However, Roeder has vowed to stay in charge and he wants to be given until Christmas next season to turn things round.

When asked whether he expects to be in charge at Newcastle next season, Roeder said: "I believe I will. What has happened here this year has been out of my control and I believe I deserve to go into a second season.

"We're all big boys and I understand the rules of football, but things have happened to me this year that have been out of my control.

"The people with any understanding will know the problems the club has had this year, which have been out of everybody's hands.

"If, come Christmas, we're not where we ought to be - in that top six or within a point or two of the top six - and we have one or two injured and not 12 injured, I would accept the questions that are being asked now.

"I feel I deserve to go through the summer. Judge me in a normal season, without those injuries, around Christmas time."