Well I say let's all..........

Noelie

.......wish Glenn Roeder good luck in whatever lies ahead of him.

Let's be honest, he had to have tried his best despite many obstacles and sadly his best wasn't good enough to bring any success to Newcastle United.

I don't think he asked to be made caretaker-manager at a time of crisis when Shepherd sacked Souness with no new manager on the radar-screen but he was man enough, perhaps foolish enough, to take the wheel when we needed someone, anyone, on the bridge.

He certainly made many blunders in many areas, he certainly had injured player problems which we were all aware of, and he certainly wasn't given the same financial support from Shepherd that Souness was.

I don't think he can be entirely faulted for the number of times we were subjected to under-achieving so-called "stars" who were canny on occasion but rubbish more often.

SO, now that he's gone let's give him a little respect and perhaps some thanks for giving the job his best shot even though his aim was poor and way off target. It's just too bad that he didn't perform half as well for us as he did when he was our steady centre-half.

Concur totally with those sentiments - everybody makes mistakes but maybe NUFC isn't the club to make too many at - at times i thought he looked a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights which is a shame and i think he should be remembered from saving us from the post souness disaster rather than the shambles of the birmingham and AZ defeats - don't think we are any better off after as a team but at least he didn't spend a shedload of money on dross before he went

When he took over as cartaker manager he said he didn't want the job and should have stuck to that because he was never up to it. He would still have had a job at the Academy.

It is hard to feel sorry for someone taking a million pound payoff from the club.

Sick of all this Mr Nice Guy crap personally. Where's the evidence for it? The guy's a tithead of the highest order and I'm just glad we'll never have to endure another Roeder match.

When he took over as cartaker manager he said he didn't want the job and should have stuck to that because he was never up to it. He would still have had a job at the Academy.

It is hard to feel sorry for someone taking a million pound payoff from the club.

Well would you turn down the offer?

Whilst it may have been sensible to turn down THE poisoned chalice of English football, equally a chance like that doesn't come around very often.

Also if he's resigned and not been sacked, not sure he'll be getting a huge pay off (he was only on a 1 year rolling contract anyway).

Sick of all this Mr Nice Guy crap personally. Where's the evidence for it? The guy's a tithead of the highest order and I'm just glad we'll never have to endure another Roeder match.

That's more like it! :lol:

Whilst it may have been sensible to turn down THE poisoned chalice of English football, equally a chance like that doesn't come around very often.

Also if he's resigned and not been sacked, not sure he'll be getting a huge pay off (he was only on a 1 year rolling contract anyway).

Utter bollocks as usual, he was clearly sacked.

Heh I notice you don't deny the rest. :lol:

Well I wouldn't be surprise to have seen FFS saying something like "we won't be needing you next season, but you can stay on till then" and so he resigned.

But if he was just after cash (as suggested) then he surely wouldn't have done?

I agree with that sadly

I never said he was just after cash but reports are his payoff was 1 million and if he loves the club as he says he could have just refused it like Gullit.

Well I wouldn't be surprise to have seen FFS saying something like "we won't be needing you next season, but you can stay on till then" and so he resigned.

If you mean that he was asked to resign, I agree with you. I don't think the decision was his.

I agree with that sadly

Me too.

I agree with that sadly

Me too.

It's a sad sad day when the three of us agree on something :lol:

I don't agree with the poisoned chalice bit either as it happens, I'm not a fan of cliches.

The meeting yesterday will clearly have been about the monetary terms of Roeder's "resignation". He probably earned more in that meeting than you will in a lifetime, so I'd save the pity if I was you.

It'll be interesting to see if Roeder will ever get a top job again in football. As with Souness, I suspect not. It's a pity it's always us that has to prove the obvious with regards managerial capabilities.

I agree with that sadly

Me too.

It's a sad sad day when the three of us agree on something :D

:lol:

Apparently he had a clause in his contract allowing us to sack him after a season. Obviously Freddy has told him he plans to exercise that clause and given him the 'leave with your dignity intact' option.

Apparently he had a clause in his contract allowing us to sack him after a season. Obviously Freddy has told him he plans to exercise that clause and given him the 'leave with your dignity intact' option.

According to who? He only signed a 2 year contract so as not to burden the club, why would he not have just signed a 1 year one?

Heh I notice you don't deny the rest. :D

According to who? He only signed a 2 year contract so as not to burden the club, why would he not have just signed a 1 year one?

According to the bloke who's predicted this, the Rossi and Sibierski transfers. He's been spot on so far it's only fair to give him the benefit of the doubt :lol:

I'm pretty sure anything involving FFS will be murky, but still if he was just after cash he'd have not resigned.

Actually FFS may well not have realised such a thing was possible. :lol:

I'm pretty sure anything involving FFS will be murky, but still if he was just after cash he'd have not resigned.

He'll have been paid off man, stop being so naive. If not, we'll hear all about what an honourable person he is, just like we were with Gullit.

He wasn't after cash at all, read the statements when he was hired, everything was geared around not wanting to lumber the club if he failed.

I maintain that Fred would have put some kind of restriction on next year and Roeder's told him to fuck off. If this was all planned and we really did want Sam then why didn't we just go and get him last year? The whole mess of the PR around this extraordinary meeting screams of an unintended outcome.