Shearer will not be next in line

Scottish Mag

Alan Shearer will NOT be in the frame to take over from Glenn Roeder as manager of Newcastle United.

Those supporters who chanted the former United skipper's name at St James' Park on Saturday after the defeat by Blackburn Rovers do not seem to appreciate the situation regarding the greatest player to wear the black-and-white shirt.

For quite simply Shearer, who was at Saturday's game with Rovers, is not interested in managing his beloved United at this moment in time, although it would not surprise me if he took the reins one day.

When I last spoke to Shearer a fortnight ago he was in Barcelona.

And the very fact he was in Spain - in his role as a sporting ambassador for Umbro - is the reason Shearer will not be a candidate to replace Roeder.

For Shearer told me that his life at the moment could not be more pleasant than it is, and revealed just how much he enjoys his role as a pundit with the BBC's Match of the Day.

As it happens Shearer (pictured below) could not actually take a job as a manager at United, or any other club in the Premiership for that matter, on a permanent basis because he does not possess the Pro-Licence.

He is just completing his A licence and, perhaps ominously, told me from Barcelona: "I can now take my Pro-Licence - if I want to."

The betting has already started on Roeder's replacement, but the likes of Louis van Gaal, Sven-Goran Erikkson, Steve McClaren and Shearer can be quickly discounted.

Edited by Scottish Mag