Chelsea to Sign Sidwell?

ewerk

JOSE MOURINHO has hijacked Newcastle’s bid to sign Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell.

And the Chelsea boss is convinced he has got his man by offering him £50,000 a week.

Sidwell, 24, will be out of contract in a few weeks and available on a free transfer.

Newcastle were favourites to sign the ex-Arsenal trainee for months but Chelsea have stepped in and topped the Toon’s £40,000-a-week offer.

The move for playmaker Sidwell also reopens the uncertainty around midfield ace Frank Lampard’s future at Stamford Bridge.

Lampard, 28, has still not signed a new contract at Chelsea with Spanish giants Barcelona keen on the England star.

Mourinho has already put the wheels in motion to start rebuilding his team after losing his grip on the Premiership title and yet another season of disappointment in the Champions League.

Sidwell has been a key figure helping Reading consolidate in their first Premiership season and it has not gone unnoticed at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho has always insisted on having an English spine to his team.

Sidwell was born on Chelsea’s doorstep in Wandsworth — and would be a ready replacement for Lampard.

Reading have offered Sidwell £25,000 a week to sign a new deal — but the ambitious player is holding out in a bid to secure a big-money move.

Brock will be happy.

If he wants to go and sit on the sub bench at Stamford Bridge for an extra £10k then he can fuck right off, we don't need another player just interested in their pay packet at the end of the week.

There's two Reading fans at work who are pissing themselves about the whole Sidwell situation. They can't understand why Newcastle are interested, let alone Chelsea.

A mediocre player at best who has perhaps one decent game in ten was how one of them described him.

Ludicrous!

There's two Reading fans at work who are pissing themselves about the whole Sidwell situation. They can't understand why Newcastle are interested, let alone Chelsea.

A mediocre player at best who has perhaps one decent game in ten was how one of them described him.

Ludicrous!

I can kinda understand us (we have form), but Chelski.... I mean really they MUST be able to get better for less.

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

In the same way that everyone slagged Jenas off for being shit when he left yet only a few thought this when he was here.

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

In the same way that everyone slagged Jenas off for being shit when he left yet only a few thought this when he was here.

:lol: I thought Jenas (deservedly) got a lot of stick during his time here.

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

He didn't get much until Robert told the Sun he wasn't happy here, before that he was still highly rated amongst a large majority of fans who put it down to poor form.

I was genuinely pleased to get what we did for Jenas. Hes the laughing stock of his own club now and his comments this week that lampard and gerrard should be looking over their shoulders only back that up

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

He didn't get much until Robert told the Sun he wasn't happy here, before that he was still highly rated amongst a large majority of fans who put it down to poor form.

I think he got slagged for most of the season for his poor performances and his negative play (few passes forward etc.). To a far less extent he even got critizised when he won the young player of the year award. I remember a lot of people saying he was vastly overrated. :o

There's a good post on Sidwell from a Reading fan over on Newcastle-Online.

As a Reading fan and someone who has watched Sidwell week in week out for about 3 years now I can add the following to this thread.

First of all, despite what alot of Reading fans think, I personally don't think Sid is a money grabber. I think he is very ambitious and wants to play for England. I think he will move to a club that will best serve his England chances even if that club offers him a few grand per week less than another team. E.g. if Man City offered Sid £45K per week and Newcastle offered him £40K per week, I think he would choose Newcastle.

Secondly, Steve McLaren the muppet openly admitted a few weeks ago that he hadn't even watched Reading this season. What an idiot considering we have the answer to Englands Left back problems in our defence. Therefore any Reading player with serious England ambitions are gonna have to leave because we don't even come under the Muppet McLarens radar!

Thirdly, Is Sid good enough? I am not sure. He is one of the finest English Centre Midfielders that is for sure. He is definitely top 10 material. He isn't as good as Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Fabregas, Arteta........... But he is probably better than pretty much everybody else. That is why I am very surprised that Chelsea are interested in him because Sid is very good at everything but he is not outstanding in one particular area. He is not quite top 4 but he is top 10. If Newcastle are trying to be a top 4 club then you need better players than Sid, but if you wanna be top 6 then Sid is definitely a good signing. you may as well get him because you won't compete with Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in terms of glamour and financial muscle so they will always get the Gerrards ahead of the Toon anyway.

Sidwells biggest weakness is his long range shooting. He cannot score from outside the box. I can remember only 3 long range pile drivers from Sid in the time he has been with Reading. Gerrard is hitting the target at least once a month with a stunning pile driver. As does Lamps, Scholes and other top midfielders.

Sidwell is a star man, he is a very honest and honourable bloke in my opinion, he has been completely honest with RFC and has seen out the full length of his contract! He has been honest about wanting to leave and he has given honest hardworking performances despite this being the final year of his contract with Reading and also despite the risk to himself that if he gets injured he would be without a contract and without a club. Although I am sure Reading would have looked after him.

Sid has been a key player in Reading's season and if this wasn't the last year of his deal with us and if he had decided to stay he would have probably won the player of the year vote. The reason the RFC fans didn't vote for him is because half are bitter and the other half would prefer to motivate a player that will be with us next season.

I was genuinely pleased to get what we did for Jenas. Hes the laughing stock of his own club now and his comments this week that lampard and gerrard should be looking over their shoulders only back that up

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick as to what he was saying with regards to that.

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

I think he got slagged for most of the season for his poor performances and his negative play (few passes forward etc.). To a far less extent he even got critizised when he won the young player of the year award. I remember a lot of people saying he was vastly overrated. :o

Well we'll have to agree to disagree won't we.

Perhaps if HTL still posted on here he would say the same as he was slagged off on a regular basis (not on here as much tbf) for saying how shit Jenas was, then when he left everyone agreed with him.

Perhaps Wullie can add something to it as he was one of the first to point out how shit Jenas was.

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

Well we'll have to agree to disagree won't we.

Perhaps if HTL still posted on here he would say the same as he was slagged off on a regular basis (not on here as much tbf) for saying how shit Jenas was, then when he left everyone agreed with him.

Perhaps Wullie can add something to it as he was one of the first to point out how shit Jenas was.

Maybe we don't even have to disagree. I was rather thinking of the opinion of people who can be taken seriously. Of course there are always loads of people/kids who see everything through rose tinted specs © Leazes and who will change their view later.

JENAS IS DA MAN, OMG MARTINS IS MINT!!!LOL!1! , EMRE U R DA MAN 1!11! etc.

Aye, I remember being shot down for saying Parker was shit yet it seems the majority agree with me now.

I wonder if the idiots fawning over N'Zogbia will soon catch on?

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

I think Jenas was getting stick way before he left, and that possibly a majority of fans were doing it before Spurs came in. And i was one of the ones who still rated him for a while, though not towards the end so much!

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

Not bitter at all. I can't understand what Chelsea have seen in him to offer him 50k. Ludicrous. He's done nothing to warrant a 25k p/week contract (one offered by Reading), and as Craig said, he may give a great performance every once in awhile, but he's downright poor more often than not.

I hope he does go to Chelsea, he wouldn't get a game but at least the tit will have deluded himself into believing he's good enough to warrant a place in the squad. The twat was talking about his England career at one point ffs. :D

And quite a few thought Jenas was shit when he was playing.

Ludicrous!

Bitter perhaps?

Not bitter at all. I can't understand what Chelsea have seen in him to offer him 50k. Ludicrous. He's done nothing to warrant a 25k p/week contract (one offered by Reading), and as Craig said, he may give a great performance every once in awhile, but he's downright poor more often than not.

I hope he does go to Chelsea, he wouldn't get a game but at least the tit will have deluded himself into believing he's good enough to warrant a place in the squad. The twat was talking about his England career at one point ffs. :D

And quite a few thought Jenas was shit when he was playing.

Quite a few Spuds fans still think he's shit.

Don't really rate Sidwell based on what I've seen, OK player but nowt special and not an improvement on Parker or Butt and I'd prefer any new player that does come in to be bought directly for the first-team meaning that player pushes the likes of Parker et al down the pecking order thus improving not only the first-team but the overal squad too.