Toon will go to war

@yourservice

Newcastle United are determined to install Sam Allardyce as their new manager - and if necessary they will go to war with Bolton Wanderers to get him.

Allardyce is relaxing in Spain after quitting the Reebok Stadium nine days ago, while United chairman Freddy Shepherd has made no public comments on the situation.

In contrast, Shepherd's opposite number at Bolton Phil Gartside has had plenty to say, and there is every chance things could hot up in the next couple of weeks.

For whatever may or may not be said about Shepherd, he has never been afraid to fight - and indeed relishes a fight - for what he believes is right for Newcastle United.

He took on the League Managers Association over their stand to try and stop Glenn Roeder taking over as manager of Newcastle United because he did not have the Pro-Licence.

Shepherd blasted a hole in the LMA's policy, and this has since been taken advantage of by his big pal Steve Gibson down at Middlesbrough with the appointment of Gareth Southgate.

Shepherd also made sure United's resources and big guns went to help Emre answer the FA's charge of racial abuse - and the little Turk was cleared.

Now Shepherd is currently fighting the FA over the Michael Owen compensation affair - a fight which, if he wins, will be welcomed by every club in the world.

Allardyce's decision to leave Bolton before the end of the season - he had two years left on his contract - puts a question mark over any compensation.

Some administrators have told me this makes it a bit of a grey area. But from what I hear, Bolton see it as black and white and they will be demanding compensation from United for Allardyce.

And when it comes to the nitty-gritty, United will remind Bolton what happened eight years ago when they poached Allardyce from Notts County and were hauled over the coals by the FA.

Meanwhile, talk that Allardyce has already agreed to join United is simply not true, and Shepherd will not do anything about his replacement for Roeder until after the season has ended.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Big Sam will be the next manager of Newcastle United.

I have seen other names being touted for the job, but in my view there is absolutely no chance of the likes of Sven-Goran Eriksson, Louis van Gaal or Steve McClaren coming in as manager of United. And Alan Shearer is not in United's thinking, nor indeed is Shearer considering it at the moment.

I notice Birmingham boss Steve Bruce made a point on Sunday of stressing he is a Geordie and how disappointed he was at not stopping Sunderland from clinching the Championship.

But this will all fall on deaf ears at St James' Park. Bruce turned United down before and he will not be given another chance.

But Allardyce, who has said no to both United and Sunderland in the past couple of seasons, will be given the chance.

And in the eyes of the former United midfielder Neil McDonald, who spent six years as first-team coach at the Reebok Stadium, Allardyce is the "perfect man" for the job at St James' Park.

When I spoke to McDonald last night, the man who was once the youngest player in United's history and is now cutting his managerial teeth at Carlisle United, wanted to assure the Newcastle fans about the impending appointment of Allardyce.

He told me: "All this talk about Bolton relying on long-ball tactics all the time is just not true.

"How can it be when they have had players of the quality of Youri Djorkaeff, Jay-Jay Okocha and Ivan Campo playing for them in recent seasons?

"Yes, Bolton do put the ball in the right places at the right time, but surely that is playing to your strengths?

"Bolton have had some fantastic players under Sam Allardyce and he has galvanised players from all around the world and made them a top-six side.

"I keep hearing that United needed sorting out from top bottom - and Sam is just the man to do that."

Just like when Souness took over eh! :lol: Mirror image

I have seen other names being touted for the job, but in my view there is absolutely no chance of the likes of Sven-Goran Eriksson, Louis van Gaal or Steve McClaren coming in as manager of United. And Alan Shearer is not in United's thinking, nor indeed is Shearer considering it at the moment.

Fuck me where did his name come from? thats the first i've heard him mentioned

isnt allerdyce a mackam ?...if yes then y did he turn down sunderland

No, he's from Dudley and played just one season for Sunderland.

And learn how to spell, fucking cretin :lol:

isnt allerdyce a mackam ?...if yes then y did he turn down sunderland

Allardyce is a Brummy.

The hell is this Shepherd bloke? He sounds a bit like our chairman, only better, skinnier, smarter and better-looking.

I think we should look into his takeover offer, he sounds like the right man to take NUFC apart and rebuild it right from top to bottom. After all, sounds like he'll soon be welcomed by every club in the world so we better get him quick.

:D