United eager to trigger Owen's £9m escape clause

Scottish Mag

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think he'll go, but if he does, he can fuck right off.

Yes Dave if he does go that is indeed what he shall be doing. :D

Yeah, that'll learn him.

I doubt you'd even get to finish the whole "and you can fuck right off" sentence before his 911 was but a dot on the horizon.

i dont think owen is going anywhere, he is going to have week in week out football at newcastle and there is no reports saying he wants to go.

i dont think owen is going anywhere, he is going to have week in week out football at newcastle and there is no reports saying he wants to go.

You don't think anyone is going anywhere!

i hope alot of them dont go ( mainly midfield and strikers ) we got a good team (except defence) they just need to sort themselves out

i hope alot of them dont go ( mainly midfield and strikers ) we got a good team (except defence) they just need to sort themselves out

:D No we don't.

:D No we don't.

Text the Ronny Gill

Interesting to see that there has been no denial of this story from the chairman or even more surprisingly from the Chronicle given that Oliver is bound to have asked Shepherd about this supposed clause.

Interesting to see that there has been no denial of this story from the chairman or even more surprisingly from the Chronicle given that Oliver is bound to have asked Shepherd about this supposed clause.

It was denied ad-nauseum at the time.

It was denied that there was no clause stating that he could leave a year later but there was no denial that a release clause existed. Perhaps Oliver's time today may have been better spent finding the truth behind these claims than penning Roeder's eulogy.

To be honest providing a half decent figure came in for Owen, not 9 million, I wouldnt be too bothered to see him go.

At the end of next season I doubt we will have done enough to convince him to sign a contract extension which would therefore put us in a position where he would be free to walk away in another 12 months time or if we wanted to recoup any money at all we would have to sell him. If this was the case I would much rather we had money to reinvest in a frontline now that can take us forward rather than make do with Owen for 12 months and be left rebuilding once again.

I know he is, when fit, one of the top strikers. However I want to see the next manager build a "team" and if sacrificing Owen will help us do it, so be it.

To be honest providing a half decent figure came in for Owen, not 9 million, I wouldnt be too bothered to see him go.

At the end of next season I doubt we will have done enough to convince him to sign a contract extension which would therefore put us in a position where he would be free to walk away in another 12 months time or if we wanted to recoup any money at all we would have to sell him. If this was the case I would much rather we had money to reinvest in a frontline now that can take us forward rather than make do with Owen for 12 months and be left rebuilding once again.

I know he is, when fit, one of the top strikers. However I want to see the next manager build a "team" and if sacrificing Owen will help us do it, so be it.

My feelings too. Plus, even if we could guarantee he will stay, he's not the type of player you can build a team around. Not that I'm advocating that is a good thing to do, but it's likely he will always miss half the season.

Lentini was a world record transfer at the time, AC Milan bought him for £13m and Papin for £11m in the same close season iirc

Lentini was quality until that crash and Papin, what a fucking player.

"Michael has two choices: he can come out and tells our fans that he is happy here," Shepherd told the Daily Express.

"Or I tell him none of the big four are interested. Because that's the case."

"This report was a very thinly-disguised attempt to flog Owen from under our feet, sourced very close to the player or those who look after him. The information must have come from there, not from our club."

"The loyalty this club has shown him over the last two years, when he had injury problems in his first season and had missed virtually all of this season, deserves something in return."

"He has had a really serious injury and no-one, least of all one of the biggest clubs, is likely to take a risk at this stage.

"He has to prove to everyone, himself and Newcastle United included, that he is fully recovered and not about to break down again."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/6641411.stm

He's on his way.

Edited by Happy Face

Guest alex

Lentini was a world record transfer at the time, AC Milan bought him for £13m and Papin for £11m in the same close season iirc

Lentini was quality until that crash and Papin, what a fucking player.

Lentini's signing was a world record until we broke it a few years later when we signed Shearer I think.