What if we had beaten Blackburn on Saturday?

Gemmill

Been wondering where to post this thought.

I assume that when Fred gave Roeder the job at the end of last season that there was absolute no certainty over the appointment. First Roeder's reticence about the job and second the delay between Souness going and Roeder getting the job. On that basis its likely that Fred said that he had a season to prove himself, even putting a line in the sand like 50 points. The noises the other week about being given until christmas from Roeder made me think he had only been given the season to prove himself.

Upshot is i think even if we had beaten Blackburn i still think that he would have gone at the end of the season as there had been no discernible progress over the year.

Guest alex

From what I heard Daglish was pretty happy to let both Ferdinand and Asprilla go. Mind the bloke who told me didn't like KD very much.

Edited by alex

From what I heard Daglish was pretty happy to let both Ferdinand and Asprilla go. Mind the bloke who told me didn't like KD very much.

I dunno about the Asprilla deal but from what I heard at the time, Dalglish was livid that Ferdinand was going and was told by the board that £6m for a 31 year old was not going to be rejected. Of course before the deal went through, Shearer had his injury and the board tried to back-pedal but Sir Les, aware that the cash was more important to the board than his ability was having none of it...

And quite frankly, I don't blame him!

I dunno about the Asprilla deal but from what I heard at the time, Dalglish was livid that Ferdinand was going and was told by the board that £6m for a 31 year old was not going to be rejected. Of course before the deal went through, Shearer had his injury and the board tried to back-pedal but Sir Les, aware that the cash was more important to the board than his ability was having none of it...

And quite frankly, I don't blame him!

It was the same as Chopra, once the player had agreed in principle, they didn't want to break their word when circumstances changed and the club tried to get them to change their minds.

It's all a question of competence tbh. It's taken Niall Quinn 5 minutes in his first ever job in charge of a football club to identify someone who he thought could do a job, pursue them, and appoint them. It's taken Shepherd 10 years to drag us down from potential champions to also-rans by paying nothing like the attention to detail that's required in his managerial appointments.

It's another "what if", but it's terrifying if you think about where we would be if Bobby Robson hadn't fallen into our laps and spent 5 years here - imagine how many sub-standard managers we could have worked our way through in that time. And Robson was a no-brainer appointment that just came along at the right time, which I give Shepherd no credit for. But for that appointment Christ knows where we would be.

Wasn't Shepherd completely unaware of Bobby until he came out in the press and stated his interest in the job?

Very true - I'd forgotten about that too. :lol:

Something I do remember was when we were trying to replace Keegan. SJH wanted Bobby and made no secret of the fact when it was quite clear that Fred & Doug wanted Dalglish and they got their way.

How different would it have been had it been down to Sir John?

Yes you're right but Sir John didn't want Keegan in the first place,that was down to Doug and Freddie Fletcher.They persuaded SJH into appointing him.

And talking of Freddie Fletcher,never a fan of him,but didn't the wheels start to come off just after he left?