Bobby Moncur wants Big Sam to chin the players

Has he not seen the state of our injury list!!!

Crazy jock twat! Although if it's true he'll be selling Dyer I'd get Big Sam in then sack him when Dyer's gone.

I'd rather have Sven or Houllier ahead of Big Sam tbh.

Bob Moncur is backing the appointment of Sam Allardyce as the next manager of Newcastle United. And the last United skipper to lift a trophy believes Big Sam could do likewise on the managerial front.

But at the same time, Moncur has a little of sympathy for Glenn Roeder who he says was let down by his players.

In a tremendously frank interview, Moncur told me today: "After Saturday's match I said on the Century FM phone-in that something had to happen at Newcastle United.

"To tell the truth, I didn't know what, but everybody now knows just what has happened.

"And the fans who have called in seem to be split 50-50 for and against Sam Allardyce.

"Well you can mark me down as one of the 50% who are for him.

"And let me say straightaway that I respect Allardyce.

"Yes he has some baggage. But tell me a manager in the Premiership who hasn't got baggage.

"In fact, which one of us hasn't got some baggage?

"Sam Allardyce is my type of manager. He is a big lad and strong enough to chin any player who steps out of line.

"One of the concerns of the United supporters who have spoken to me is that they are convinced that Bolton Wanderers have not played good football under Allardyce.

"Well if Bolton's football has not been very good then there is a very good reason for it.

"For make no mistake about it, Sam Allardyce has done a great job at Bolton with limited resources, and this latter fact might reflect on how his side have played.

"For me, Sam never had the players to play fancy football.

"But hopefully Sam will get some money at St James' Park and Newcastle will get some players with flair.

"But as far as I am concerned, good football is not a priority for Newcastle United in their current situation.

"What we need is to have a winning team and to get up that league table.

"When we won the Fairs Cup in 1969 did we play silky football? Like hell we did.

"Some fans have mentioned the fact to me that they don't want Sam Allardyce because he used to play for Sunderland, but I cannot believe they can even say that. What's that got to do with it?

"It's like saying Steve Bruce should be the next manager of United because he is a Geordie."

While Moncur is clearly backing Allardyce for the job he has a lot of sympathy for Glenn Roeder.

Moncur, who in my own opinion should be in the top five of United's greatest ever players, adds: "There is no doubt Glenn did a super job at the end of last season.

"But I have to say that luck plays a big part in a manager's job these days and Glenn has had plenty this season but all of it has been bad.

"However, Glenn is a big boy and he knows the score.

"When a manager takes a job there are only two things that are going to happen.

"He will either get the sack or that he will better himself.

"But I was sorry to see Glenn Roeder go.

"And when he is sitting on the beach in the summer he will be thinking a lot of his players could have done much better for him."

Moncur knows that Freddy Shepherd is going to get it in the neck from some quarters regardless of who he appoints as Roeder's replacement.

The former United skipper concluded: "Graeme Souness apart, Freddy Shepherd has brought in some big and great names in the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit and Sir Bobby Robson.

"Whoever he brings in this time he should be supported and backed by the Newcastle United supporters."

Edited by Scottish Mag

"And when he is sitting on the beach in the summer he will be thinking a lot of his players could have done much better for him."

egg-fucking-sactly. Gutless pieces of shit. Yet Fat Sam will be given 5 years to replace the squad 3 times over.

And I'm sure every league manager has the 'baggage' of the impending final report of an inquiry over their heads

Guest alex

Was it not part of Roeder's remit to motivate the players, organise them properly and get them playing well for him like? :D

Was it not part of Roeder's remit to motivate the players, organise them properly and get them playing well for him like? :D

Absolve them, absolve them all, they know not what they do.

Do you think proffesional footballers need that much motviation and organistation? Have we really assembled a very expensive squad of idiots?

Guest alex

Do you think proffesional footballers need that much motviation and organistation? Have we really assembled a very expensive squad of idiots?

The players obviously take some responsibility for their performances. I never said they didn't. Is your question a piss-take btw? What do you think a manager's job is if it isn't to motivate players and organise them in terms of what to do in matches etc.? Or does Roeder get absolved of all blame in your eyes?

Edited by alex

Yes tbh. :(

I've heard all this shite before when Souness was appointed to sort out the players,big Sam actually reminds me of Souness and his style.

I wouldnt bring him within spitting distance of SJP meself

I've heard all this shite before when Souness was appointed to sort out the players,big Sam actually reminds me of Souness and his style.

Apart from the fact that Big Sam has a much better managerial record on paper.

Souness won a few trophies with very good teams that he then took on to underachieve big style. Allardyce, although lacking on the trophy front has taken Bolton from the first division to top half Premiership finishers.

Souness won a few trophies with very good teams that he then took on to underachieve big style. Allardyce, although lacking on the trophy front has taken Bolton from the first division to top half Premiership finishers.

So did Souness at Blackburn tbh

Blackburn and Bolton were two completely different situations IMO. What Allardyce did with Bolton is not comparable with what Souness did at Rovers.

Blackburn and Bolton were two completely different situations IMO. What Allardyce did with Bolton is not comparable with what Souness did at Rovers.

Liverpool, Galatasaray, Benfica, Southampton, Torino, Newcastle tbh. Souness was sacked from all of them, and was on the verge of dismissal from Blackburn until some idiot decided to employ him.

Edited by Renton

Liverpool, Galatasaray, Benfica, Southampton, Torino, Newcastle tbh. Souness was sacked from all of them, and was on the verge of dismissal from Blackburn until some idiot decided to employ him.

Exactly wheras Allardyce walked the Irish League with Limerick, left to play for Preston then became caretaker when their manager got sacked and turned their fortunes around but missed out on the job fulltime due to inexperience. Went to Blackpool and took them to 3rd place only to be sacked for not gaining promotion. Went to Notts County who were already down when he took over, took them back up the next season becoming the first side to win promotion by March since the war. Then he went to Bolton and we knew what he did there.

And that same idiot is gonna employ Big Sam,i wonder how many would be shouting from the rooftops for him to come here,if the fat one blatantly said he didn't want Sam here and there was no chance?

And that same idiot is gonna employ Big Sam,i wonder how many would be shouting from the rooftops for him to come here,if the fat one blatantly said he didn't want Sam here and there was no chance?

Probably the same amount there are now? :D What's your point?

Exactly wheras Allardyce walked the Irish League with Limerick, left to play for Preston then became caretaker when their manager got sacked and turned their fortunes around but missed out on the job fulltime due to inexperience. Went to Blackpool and took them to 3rd place only to be sacked for not gaining promotion. Went to Notts County who were already down when he took over, took them back up the next season becoming the first side to win promotion by March since the war. Then he went to Bolton and we knew what he did there.

I just simply refuse to accept the day has come that that description is enough to mark Fat Sam out as Number 1 contender for the job as manager of Newcastle United above any and all other possible candidates.

Guest alex

The players obviously take some responsibility for their performances. I never said they didn't. Is your question a piss-take btw? What do you think a manager's job is if it isn't to motivate players and organise them in terms of what to do in matches etc.? Or does Roeder get absolved of all blame in your eyes?

Answer this any time you like Stevie baby....

Answer this any time you like Stevie baby....

Put it this way. Do you accept that players perform differently when they know their manager has no authority? I'm thinking of Roeder and SBR's last season here. Do you think it is acceptable that the players can just disregard what the manager tells them because they know they are at a club where fan pressure can get him replaced before he has a chance to get rid of players who are not performing to the required standard? Do you accept that Roeder was not going to stand for the likes of Bramble et al to be here next season? Do you accept Roeder had no chance to do anything here apart from work with what was an already broken and fucked up squad. Do you accept that signing Sol Campbell should be the limit of forward planning for a new manager? Do you accept that observation of a team's performance is not an adequate reflection of a manager until that manager has total authority? Do you not afford Roeder the same excuses that Fat Sam seems to have over his stuttering end to Bolton's season?