Classic Oliver

Guest alex

Guest alex

Toon players have to take share of blame May 8 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder refuses to say it. But there is no doubt that he has been badly let down by the players of Newcastle United in the past few weeks.

But while Roeder is now currently unemployed, the United players are sitting on fat contracts and life in the fast lane still goes on for some of them.

Take Saturday night. After the defeat by Blackburn Rovers Roeder could not bring himself to take his wife Faith out for their usual meal, and stayed at home in Jesmond.

In contrast, some of his players lived it up in a Gateshead night club, apparently oblivious to the hurt their manager was suffering.

And doesn't that tell you all you need to know about Newcastle United's current situation?

Now nobody is against players letting their hair down after a match, but the word on the street is that some United players seem to like to party too much.

On Sunday morning I asked Roeder if he was taking his wife out for a traditional lunch. He said he wasn't and that he was taking the Arthur Cox approach.

That is when you win on a Saturday you mow the front lawn on the Sunday morning.

And if you lose? It is the back lawn which gets the treatment.

Now Roeder will have plenty of time to cut both his lawns at his home in Essex, and he will undoubtedly reflect on just where things went wrong in what he considered was his dream job.

I have had three long conversations with him after Saturday's defeat by Blackburn, and he is angry that he will not be in charge of United come next August.

Angry because he believes a lot of what has happened this season was outside his control, especially the injury situation, which is accepted as the worst in the club's history.

After being fantastically, if unexpectedly, successful last season things were going OK for Roeder this term - despite having no Alan Shearer and Michael Owen - until the UEFA Cup exit in Holland.

Roeder rang me at tea-time last night and told me that the defeat in AZ Alkmaar was the turning point in United's season.

Even then, United were unlucky when the referee wrongly cancelled out a late Kieron Dyer goal which would have taken them into the quarter-finals.

Since then, United have only won one of their eight Premiership games - at Sheffield United - and the reason could not be clearer.

They couldn't hit the proverbial barn door, and if you cannot score goals then you cannot win matches.

Yet what could Roeder do when his £10m man Oba Martins missed an open goal from five yards at Charlton Athletic?

Or squandered two or three easy chances at Portsmouth and Reading where, at the Madejski Stadium last Monday night, he was in good company with Dyer and Shola Ameobi getting in on the act.

Even on Saturday, Martins (pictured), Dyer, Scott Parker and even Owen must have known they had let themselves and their manager down, missing the sort of opportunities your granny could have scored.

But it's all water under the Tyne Bridge now, and with every day that passes Roeder's frustration, disappointment and anger that he will not be in charge of Newcastle United at the start of next season will recede.

I am on record as saying Sir Bobby Robson is the greatest guy I have met in football, and Roeder is in the same mould.

I cannot pay him any bigger tribute than that.

There are so many people in football you wouldn't want to take to tea with the vicar. Glenn Roeder isn't one of them.

He believes he has been unlucky in football this season.

But after what has happened to him in the past he knows he has been lucky in life.

Roeder mentioned Arthur Cox. Well to pinch one of Coxy's famous sayings, all I can say to Roeder is "we wish you well".

:D

I know it's Anal, but what exactly don't you agree with in that article?

The "?" key on your keyboard really takes some punishment doesn't it !

Possibly the fact that he has laid the blame exclusively at the players' feet while ignoring all of Roeder's obvious shortcomings? Are you really so thick you can't see that?

Roeder rang me at tea-time last night and told me that the defeat in AZ Alkmaar was the turning point in United's season.

"Hello?"

"Alan?"

"This is The Chronicle's Alan Oliver speaking, yes."

"It's me Glenn, I just wanted to let you know what the defeat in Alkmaar was the turning point of the season."

"Right. I'm having me tea Glenn."

"Sorry. Talk to you later."

Roeder mentioned Arthur Cox. Well to pinch one of Coxy's famous sayings, all I can say to Roeder is "we wish you well".

Well to pinch one *insert name of any random Geordie here*'s famous sayings...FUCK OFF ALAN YOU DICKWEED

Possibly the fact that he has laid the blame exclusively at the players' feet while ignoring all of Roeder's obvious shortcomings? Are you really so thick you can't see that?

Are you really so thick you can't read a headline?

"Toon players have to take share of blame"

Edited by Super_Steve_Howey

Hello?

-Hello Alan, it's Glenn.

I'm just about to have dinner Glenn, can I call back?

-That match in Holland...you know that was the turning point of the season don't you?

Yes I do Glenn. Talk to you later.

-Love you.

Love you too.

Who has he attributed the rest of the blame to?

Guest alex

The funniest thing is, apart from the utterly cringeworthy way it's written, that Oliver has a proper pop at Martins but lets off the bloke who signed him.

Have a vague guess considering this is an article following his sacking...

Guest alex

The content doesn't really tie in with that, does it? It's just a catalogue of excuses.

Edited by alex

Point me to an article where Oliver has been more than lightly critical of Roeder then.

The funniest thing is, apart from the utterly cringeworthy way it's written, that Oliver has a proper pop at Martins but lets off the bloke who signed him.

Now you're even having a pop at Roeder for signing Martins? He really was on a hiding to nothing basically wasn't he?

Guest alex

Now you're even having a pop at Roeder for signing Martins? He really was on a hiding to nothing basically wasn't he?

No, that's not what I'm doing. I'm saying Oliver can't have his cake and eat it. Personally I'm undecided about the signing of Martins.

Yet more evidence to show that Roeders "Resignation" wasnt so much as being pushed out of the door when he laments on his anger at not being able to take the club into next season.

This Special Olympian deserves his own forum tbh.

Guest alex

Btw, I posted this because it was such an appalling article, even by Oliver's standards, in terms of how it was written more than the point he was making.

Btw, I posted this because it was such an appalling article, even by Oliver's standards, in terms of how it was written more than the point he was making.

Alreet, Derek?

Think some of us might have picked up on that tbf. :(

Guest alex

Alreet, Derek?

Think some of us might have picked up on that tbf. <_<

:( I had hoped so.

Point me to an article where Oliver has been more than lightly critical of Roeder then.

No response? Didn't think so fuckwit.

No response? Didn't think so fuckwit.

Pathetic