Toon taunt

@yourservice

PHIL GARTSIDE has questioned whether Newcastle are a bigger club than Bolton.

Bolton’s chairman is convinced Toon target Sam Allardyce could have achieved all he wanted in management by staying at the Reebok.

Ex-Wanderers boss Allar-dyce is tipped to take over at St James’ Park. But Gartside is unconvinced by Newcastle’s pretensions.

Gartside, a friend of Toon supremo Freddy Shepherd, said: “I think you have to be careful how you define a bigger club. Newcastle have under-achieved for

some time. I agree they have a bigger fan base. But history shows Bolton and Newcastle are similar in some respects. It’s a long time since we won anything. But I think it’s the same for them.”

Newcastle’s last domestic trophy was the FA Cup in 1955. Bolton won it in 1958. United’s only other silverware was the Fairs Cup, forerunner of the UEFA Cup, which they lifted in 1969.

Gartside added: “If you define a club as bigger because they get 50,000 every game, I can’t argue with that. But there aren’t many alternatives around.

"We have seven Premiership clubs round our necks, one of which, Manchester United, is the biggest in the country if not the world.”

Allardyce, who missed out on the England job to Steve McClaren, looks to be Shepherd’s choice.

But Gartside added: “I don’t know if Freddy wants Sam or not.”

Cheerleaders, fireworks, music when they score, and an excitable mascot tell me all I need to know about who is the bigger club tbh. They've got smalltime written all over them.

Cheerleaders, fireworks, music when they score, and an excitable mascot tell me all I need to know about who is the bigger club tbh. They've got smalltime written all over them.

You missed out the incessant drumming :lol:

They hit the nail on the head this morning on Talksport....

Newcastle can fill their (bigger) stadium on a regular basis - Bolton can't.

Funding was also mentioned :lol:

Exactly. We're a football club, and they're a circus act.

Exactly. We're a football club, and they're a circus act.

With Shepherd in charge, are you sure you have that the right way round?

As I said on t'other board.

We're not a big club though, big fanbase yes, big potential yes, not a big club at the moment. The only advantage we offer over other clubs is our appalling wage structure.

As shit as we may be now. 8 out of 10 seasons in europe, 5 top 5 finishes, 52000 seat stadium, big money spent on the likes of shearer, owen, kluivert, Luque, martins, woodgate etc.

Bolton could only dream of that. However, they have outplayed us this season, but 1 season doesnt make a bigger club.

As shit as we may be now. 8 out of 10 seasons in europe, 5 top 5 finishes, 52000 seat stadium, big money spent on the likes of shearer, owen, kluivert, Luque, martins, woodgate etc.

Bolton could only dream of that. However, they have outplayed us this season, but 1 season doesnt make a bigger club.

Looks like J69 has picked up the Leazes baton.

Not really, but what do you judge who is the bigger club on?

Attendance

League Finishes

European football

Transfer fees

International Players????

No one disagrees that Bolton have done well the last couple of seasons but arguing that they are a bigger club is just plain daft.

Not really, but what do you judge who is the bigger club on?

Attendance

League Finishes

European football

Transfer fees

International Players????

No one disagrees that Bolton have done well the last couple of seasons but arguing that they are a bigger club is just plain daft.

I agree with you, I was only joking. The fifth place finishes bit just reminded me of Leazes, that's all.