Gartside on Freddie and Sam and Coppell on Sidwell

Toonpack

On talkshite:

Interviewer "Do you think Sam was tapped up by Newcastle before he left Bolton"

Gartside "I don't know and I don't care, Sam's my mate and Freddie's my mate, I wish them luck"

Coppell Reportedly on Radio Berkshire

"Sidwell is definitely leaving Reading but NOT for Chelsea"

Edited by Toonpack

Coppell saying Sidwell is definitely going, but isn't at liberty to say where apparently.

Sidwell's Reading exit confirmed

Reading boss Steve Coppell has revealed midfielder Steve Sidwell has officially left the club, but refused to say which side he has agreed to join.

Sidwell, who has been strongly linked with Chelsea, is out of contract at the Madejski Stadium having spent over four years with the Royals.

And the 24-year-old will now leave the club after rejecting an improved deal.

"Steve has gone. I know exactly where he has gone to but I am not allowed to say," said Coppell.

Newcastle and Everton have also been linked with the combative midfielder, but it is thought Chelsea now lead the race for his signature amid rumours he has undergone a medical at Stamford Bridge.

Speaking after Chelsea's final-day draw with Everton, Blues boss Jose Mourinho refused to comment on Sidwell's future, saying: "I don't think it is the time to talk about it.

"It is obvious that we need a couple of players, two or three players. That is the nature of a team like us which is trying to improve.

"We need a central defender, a midfield player to make the group stronger, especially a group that will lose Jon Obi Mikel and Michael Essien at the same time for the African Cup, and we need a striker."