Butt: Sort out the dressing room

Jimbo

Sam Allardyce is expected to be named Glenn Roeder's successor this week, and Butt indicated that the players would welcome the arrival of the former Bolton boss.

But Butt, 32, believes the new chief's first task must be to bring unity to an unsettled dressing room.

"We haven't been told anything yet, but we have heard the speculation about Sam, and everyone seems confident it is going to be him," said Butt.

"Hopefully, he will be brought into the club and sort a few things out.

"The majority of the players in the changing room work hard and are good professionals.

"But there are a few who, generally, don't want to play for the club. The sooner that is sorted out, the better.

"I am not one to criticise my team-mates, but there are genuinely one or two players who don't want to be here. There are some players who have bad spells, but they give 100% in every game.

"But when there are other people who have the ability to do well, yet don't always want to do well, that is wrong."

There were more rumours of unrest at Newcastle during the build-up to their 1-1 draw at Watford on Sunday.

Winger Charles N'Zogbia was understood to have left the ground after learning he would only be among the substitutes for the final game of the season at Vicarage Road.

Forward Obafemi Martins, meanwhile, declared himself unfit to play the day before the game with a knee injury.

While Butt stopped short of admitting that Allardyce would be appointed, the former Manchester United player spoke warmly about the 52-year-old, indicating he would be a popular choice with the Magpies squad.

Butt continued: "He is definitely a no-nonsense man. He comes across as being an honest manager, and that is all you can ask for as a player.

"I know everyone has the highest respect for him as a coach, with all the new things he has brought into the game.

"He was at Bolton for eight years and got them high up the table - maybe higher than they should have been.

"Only time will tell if he does come, but, if he does, then all well and good.

"When a new manager comes in, you have to start from scratch, and every player is in the same boat.

"Hopefully, he will come in and sort one or two out."

We need a strong manager, not a thug, Allardyce is the perfect choice in my opinion.

Given the way a lot of our players tend to act, we need a babysitter tbh, or maybe a "super-nanny". :lol:

I think many of the problems with some of our players is a lack of leadership and direction, without that any group will break down and go different ways or become disenfranchised with things. In Big Sam they will be lead and a new direction will be introduced. Those that aren't up for it will quickly be peddled, unlike under previous managers, and this in itself will make the group tighter, more focused and much more together than it has been. It won't be easy for the new man but I expect this to be one area that won't be of concern in the coming months and years, once he has his feet under the table and has assessed everything.

We need a strong manager, not a thug, Allardyce is the perfect choice in my opinion.

Given the way a lot of our players tend to act, we need a babysitter tbh, or maybe a "super-nanny". :lol:

big sam to send zoggy to the naughty step as his first act in charge?

nice to see Butt talking honestly about the dressing room. I reckon he could be a big player for us next season as its shown that he has been committed to the club in his performances over the last year.

Yep, Butt is one of our better players. The new Speed IMO (professional, still a few good seasons left).

I'd love to know who they're referring to. I'd love to set half a dozen pissed off die hard supporters on them :lol:

The problem players should have been nipped in the bud when Souness took over as it was obvious these problems were surfacing towards the end of SBR's reign. We all know what happened then but surely Roeder would have been aware of who the trouble makers were but he just didn't have the balls to stand up to them.

Whoever they are, and we all have a good idea, they should not be given another chance to prove themselves and should be peddaled straight away, new manager, clean slate or not.

Wankers to the core imo

Edited by Wacky Jnr

Butt would probably make a better captain than Parker imo.

I was thinking the new manager might want to change the captain. Think Butt would make a decent one.

I'd put money on Babarayo being one of them. prick.

I think you could put your mortgage on that one.

Well if it is Big Sam, I would like to see who goes in the summer, he doesnt seem to take any shit at all!

Come on son, let the exedous begin!

Cant see players like Babayaro, Dyer etc wanting to move. No one in their right mind would match their wages..

Well if it is Big Sam, I would like to see who goes in the summer, he doesnt seem to take any shit at all!

Come on son, let the exedous begin!

Cant see players like Babayaro, Dyer etc wanting to move. No one in their right mind would match their wages..

Aye, but hopefully, just hopefully, they might realise they will have to work for their wages or be fucked by Sam. Not literally, but he will hopefully have the licking the bogs etc. Just look what he has done with Diouf and Anelka. Yeh Diouf is a freak but doesnt disrupte the Bolton team does he?

It was highlighted taht Dyer didnt celebrate his goal against Watford. So is he looking for that move away? Many suggest Spurs. Was it some kind of mini protest at the fans reaction to him when he was subbed last week?

I think the question is whether Sam can get Dyer's pace, and make him a footballer with it. Or, is enough enough and time for boyth club and player to have a fresh start.

Babyaro & Moore should both be away, Carr Id be happy to see go also. Bramble.... Well, yes Id be happy to see him go. I keep saying to myself that he just needs a decent player next to him and he's fine and that if Sam brings someone in he could be ok and save us some cash - but how long have we been saying this....

An thats pretty much just the defence!

Butt has won me over this season like,i think he's settling in well after the shit he got.

Shame about the others.

I never really understood that about Butt, he always played quite well, his only questionable bit was that Man U game, but tbh it was understandable that he might not be at the top of his game for that (and he was far from alone that day).

Considering the shit that's come from other players here Butt got a very rough ride, I just wish we could have got him when Robson first tried for him.