Allardyce takes the poisoned chalice

Jimbo

Premiership | Newcastle United

by Phil McNulty - BBC Sport 15 May 2007

Sam Allardyce is the latest manager unable to resist the temptation to sip from the poisoned chalice that is Newcastle United.

The former Bolton boss insisted he would be taking a break from football when he resigned last month following a successful spell at The Reebok.

And some cynics might suggest he will get one by taking on the task of delivering St James' Park's first trophy since the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in 1969.

This is because Newcastle have occasionally represented the game's equivalent of the madhouse, rather than a club of standing with one of the biggest and most loyal support bases in the game.

It will take a big man to manage the huge weight of over-expectation at a club that loves to portray itself as one of the giant Premiership institutions, without actually coming close to silverware in 38 years.

And Allardyce will need all his force of personality and uncompromising approach to lift the curse that appears to have descended on Tyneside when it comes to success.

Allardyce's appointment has already divided opinion in Newcastle, based on the perceived long-ball, physical style his detractors claim he employed at Bolton.

No end of Opta statistics, or details of any number of backroom scientific experts employed at Bolton, will disabuse some fans of the notion that his approach was actually based on getting the ball to Kevin Davies and hoping for the best.

Allardyce will argue vehemently against that - and his success at Bolton suggests there is far more to his approach than meets the eye.

Big Sam may also respectfully suggest to his Newcastle critics that beggars can't be choosers, given their singular failure to land big prizes.

He must also convince certain figures in a the hugely-powerful Newcastle media, who were openly and savagely critical of Allardyce and methods during his time at Bolton.

It will be interesting to see if they change their tune now.

Throw in the fact that Sunderland have surged into the Premiership under the charismatic Roy Keane, a man who knows what is required at a big club and is ruthlessly driven, and you can see why the Toon Army are insecure about their current status in the North-East.

This is all before Allardyce actually gets down to the task of managing a football club that is always in close proximity to the self-destruct button.

Allardyce will need to rejuvenate a mediocre team that is seemingly split by discontent - and resolve the future of the England striker who still represents their best chance of achieving success.

The job was too big for Glenn Roeder. The credits were rolling for him once he produced little more than a tactically-naive surrender against AZ Alkmaar in the Uefa Cup.

And since his departure, the skeletons have come tumbling out of the cupboard, with Obefami Martins mysteriously declaring himself unfit to play at Watford.

Charles N'Zogbia was jettisoned for preferring to send texts rather than listen to a team talk, and the normally tactiturn Nicky Butt has been moved to criticise team-mates he feels would rather be elsewhere.

A happy ship to join then, Sam.

Allardyce, who has not managed a so-called big club before, first needs to inject a large dose of reality into Newcastle.

He needs to deliver a sharp reminder about the club's history and success - or more pertinently the lack of it.

Allardyce is not following some unbroken glory trail. He is following almost 40 barren years and no-one should insist he comes with a guarantee of success.

Newcastle attract big crowds and spend big money.

But a big club?

Not if you measure that particular statistic by their success in the last 38 years.

Using that yardstick, Sunderland have got the edge on their arch-rivals.

Allardyce needs to re-inforce a defence that occasionally represents the next best thing to an open goal, and rid the dressing room of the shirkers who let Roeder and Newcastle down so badly.

And then we come to Michael Owen.

Owen's time on Tyneside has been wrecked by injury and his public image has taken a bit of a pasting after his return to fitness was accompanied by rumours he may be ready to leave.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd, who for all his critics has always backed managers with cash, has demanded loyalty from Owen.

It is an understandable ploy but whether it is a wise one remains to be seen.

The bottom line is that Owen is fiercely ambitious and lives for winning medals.

He will not fill the gaps in his collection - the title and the Champions League - at Newcastle.

Allardyce will need to be at his most persuasive to keep Owen at Newcastle but my money would be on the England striker quitting, if one of the big four come in for him.

This may seem harsh on Newcastle, but when they bought Owen they did not buy sentiment and romance they bought one of the most ruthless and single-minded figures in world sport.

Newcastle put clauses in his contract to secure his services and fight off a return to Liverpool - they cannot squeal should he choose to exercise them.

So there is the task facing Allardyce.

Win over critics in the crowd and the media. Improve a mediocre team. Rebuild a broken dressing room. Convince Michael Owen to stay at Newcastle.

And win their first trophy in nearly 40 years.

Welcome to Newcastle, Sam.

Not if you measure that particular statistic by their success in the last 38 years.

Using that yardstick, Sunderland have got the edge on their arch-rivals.

Oh, yeah. Four years ffs.

When was the last time Sunderland finished inside the top six?

Quite a few digs aimed at the club and Allardyce, but he hides behind phrases like "cynics may suggest..." and "some fans say that". If you're going to be critical then at least have the balls to make it clear the words are your own.

The BBC guy sounds like a bit of a cock. But he basically got this bit right:

"Improve a mediocre team. Rebuild a broken dressing room. Convince Michael Owen to stay at Newcastle. And win their first trophy in nearly 40 years.''

If Allardyce could do all that he'd be worth his considerable weight in gold. I think he'd be doing OK if he managed just the first two.

He must also convince certain figures in a the hugely-powerful Newcastle media, who were openly and savagely critical of Allardyce and methods during his time at Bolton.

i.e. Oliver, at least he's done a bit of research.

Overall a decent appraisal, I love the way when an outsider criticises our club the way we do they automatically are accused of having an agenda.

Edited by ewerk

Southern media conspiracy - hate the fukin lot of them - the only way to shut twats like this up is for sam to do the business and ram it down their throats - big club? fuck off you twat - they are all wankin over keano already - he looks like he cud be the best thing thats happened to them for a while but nothing will piss people off quicker than these arsewipes eulogising how great he his when they haven't even kicked a ball in the Pl

Overall a decent appraisal, I love the way when an outsider criticises our club the way we do they automatically are accused of having an agenda.

There is something of a bias though, any bit of gossip is snatched up and overblown and even stats are misrepresented - such as our defence still getting slated even in seasons where it's actually been ok.

I actually think there's kinda a low grade background bitterness for how we played and how popular we were in the 90's tbh.

That's not to say he's wrong on many of the points, but broadly it kinda reminds of that match report by a bitter Spurs fan this season. :)

:) True enough.

My point still stands about how it's written though, the coward.

objectively the article is 99% correct - the bit about us worrying about the rabble S of thw river is rubbish but otherwise there is little to argue about

we ARE well supported

We DO think we're a BIG CLUB

We HAVE run through managers

We HAVEN'T won owt

Not coming close to winning any silverware?

Keegans team blew a massive lead for the PL

Dogleashs team got beat in the FA Cup Final

Gullits team got beat in the FA Cup Final

I would say theat is pretty close....TWAT!

Up until the bit about Sunderland I think he's spot on. Then he's trying to be controversial imo.

Just so long as he's not being prophetic and Sunderland win the Treble next season and we get relegated..... I'd say it was impossible, but.... :)

You watch how big sam gets rounded on by the bbc pundits etc - it'll build up to a crescendo if he loses a couple of matches - there is an agenda goin on here and its not just to do with the panorama programme - fukin southern media luvvies - i shit you not if we had fielded an ineligble player we would have been relegated

We will just have to grit our teeth and ignore it but if mickey owen goes then i wud expect a field day of epic proportions to unfold - i am really looking forward to alan green commentating on one of our games - not that he will show any bias or bitterness towards us