Michael Winner slates the North

BlueStar

I don't mind being English, but it often feels like the views that foreigners have of England and the English are characteristics of Southern English.

If there was a chance for the North to form a breakaway country - Northern England I'd take it.

Think about a Northern English Premiership. It still wouldn't be bad.

(I'm not suggesting this would be how it would look, just the teams in it.)

1 Newcastle United

2 Manchester United

3 Liverpool

4 Everton

5 Manchester City

6 Middlesbrough

7 Aston Villa

8 Bolton Wanderers

9 Birmingham City

10 Blackburn Rovers

11 West Bromwich Albion

12 Wigan Athletic

13 Sunderland

14 Sheffield United

15 Wolverhampton Wanderers

16 Leeds United

17 Stoke City

18 Derby County

19 Hull City

20 Preston North End

Or, if we ressurected Northumbria (present day North East & Cumbria), we might even stand a chance of winning something!

Northumbrian Premiership

1 Newcastle United

2 Middlesbrough

3 Sunderland

4 Hartlepool United

5 Darlington

6 Carlisle United

7 Barrow

8 Blyth Spartans

9 Gateshead

10 Kendal Town

11 Bishop Auckland

12 Whitley Bay

13 Newcastle Blue Star

14 Chester le Street

15 Durham City

16 Billingham Town

17 Dunston Federation

18 Newcastle Benfield

19 West Allotment Celtic

20 West Auckland Town

27546[/snapback]

Isn't that the trophy Boro & Sunderland fans make up whenever they are above us in the table?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we resurrected the Ancient Kingdsom of Northumbria

Northumbrian Premiership

1 Newcastle United

2 Middlesbrough

3 Sunderland

4 Hartlepool United

5 Darlington

6 Blyth Spartans

7 Gateshead

8 Bishop Auckland

9 Whitley Bay

10 Berwick Rangers

11 Hearts

12 Hibs

13 Livingston

14 York

15 Hull

16 Scarborough

17 Leeds

18 Bradford

Northumbrian Premiership

1 Newcastle United

2 Middlesbrough

3 Sunderland

4 Hartlepool United

5 Darlington

6 Blyth Spartans

7 Gateshead

8 Bishop Auckland

9 Whitley Bay

10 Berwick Rangers

11 Hearts

12 Hibs

13 Livingston

14 York

15 Hull

16 Scarborough

17 Leeds

18 Bradford

27681[/snapback]

yes, that is more accurate. Mine was more Bernicia, that one includes Deria as well, and the territory annexed by Scotland. Mind you, you did miss out Carlisle as Cumbria was in Northumbria as well.

Northumbrian Premiership

1 Newcastle United

2 Middlesbrough

3 Sunderland

4 Hartlepool United

5 Darlington

6 Blyth Spartans

7 Gateshead

8 Bishop Auckland

9 Whitley Bay

10 Berwick Rangers

11 Hearts

12 Hibs

13 Livingston

14 York

15 Hull

16 Scarborough

17 Leeds

18 Bradford

27681[/snapback]

The Sheffields can sneak in there, too.

I didn't think it went that far south west........

27869[/snapback]

Aye it did, I actually live near what was seen as the common boundary between Northumbria and Mercia in Sheffield, at the moment, Meer's Brook. It was something of a No Man's Land, but both Bramall Lane and Hillsbrough are North of it. I, unfortunately, am South of it...

From my personal experience it seems to be a generation thing with Southerners. My Mrs is half-Southern (the good side is Northern like :D ) and her Southern family side can be right snobby bastards. I've had the misfortune many times to visit darn sarf only to be treated as like I'm thick as pig shit when I get there. Jokes about 'you'll not be used to insde toilets'. 'YOU went to university *look of shock*. Thing is, it's only the older generation that act like this, the younger generation couldn't give a monkeys and if anything keep asking if they can come up to stay to sample the night life.

Winner and Sewell were way ott and perfect examples of this, the old bastards were whittering on about the 'air being full of soot' ffs :razz: . 30 years ago I dare say they were right, but they've just become stubborn old twats who know they're wrong but won't admit it.

I remember an old Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch.

Newsreader: We apologise to viewers in the North. How terrible it must be for them.

:razz:

28280[/snapback]

That was a quality show. I loved the sketch where they had all these people driving into a ferry (the pope, the queen, the old hag thatcher etc) for afew minutes. Then it cut to the other end and you saw aload of cars driving off the back of the ferry into the water... genius.

From my personal experience it seems to be a generation thing with Southerners. My Mrs is half-Southern (the good side is Northern like  :lol: ) and her Southern family side can be right snobby bastards. I've had the misfortune many times to visit darn sarf only to be treated as like I'm thick as pig shit when I get there. Jokes about 'you'll not be used to insde toilets'. 'YOU went to university *look of shock*. Thing is, it's only the older generation that act like this, the younger generation couldn't give a monkeys and if anything keep asking if they can come up to stay to sample the night life.

Winner and Sewell were way ott and perfect examples of this,  the old bastards were whittering on about the 'air being full of soot' ffs  :razz: . 30 years ago I dare say they were right, but they've just become stubborn old twats who know they're wrong but won't admit it.

28246[/snapback]

YOU went to university?! :D

From my personal experience it seems to be a generation thing with Southerners. My Mrs is half-Southern (the good side is Northern like  :lol: ) and her Southern family side can be right snobby bastards. I've had the misfortune many times to visit darn sarf only to be treated as like I'm thick as pig shit when I get there. Jokes about 'you'll not be used to insde toilets'. 'YOU went to university *look of shock*. Thing is, it's only the older generation that act like this, the younger generation couldn't give a monkeys and if anything keep asking if they can come up to stay to sample the night life.

Winner and Sewell were way ott and perfect examples of this,  the old bastards were whittering on about the 'air being full of soot' ffs  :razz: . 30 years ago I dare say they were right, but they've just become stubborn old twats who know they're wrong but won't admit it.

28246[/snapback]

YOU went to university?! :D

28290[/snapback]

To be fair, my parents say the same thing. :sing:

Sewell of course was born and raised on a council estate in Nottingham..........

and that terrible old fraud Sir Roy Strong (" as the Queen Mother said to me....") also came form a council estate I believe

Sewell of course was born and raised on a council estate in Nottingham..........

and that terrible old fraud Sir Roy Strong (" as the Queen Mother said to me....") also came form a council estate I believe

28335[/snapback]

Really? I never knew that about Sewell. I can't say I take much notice of his type, another one who seems to be controversial just for the sake of it.

Yup -its true

" Mr Sewell is shown round Newcastle and Gateshead by Viz founder Chris Donald, who takes him to the Cobra exhibition at Baltic; on to the Gateshead Millennium Bridge; to lunch in The Strawberry pub opposite St James's Park football ground; on to the Laing Art Gallery; and finally to Anthony Gormley's Angel of the North.

Mr Sewell's first comment about Newcastle as he steps off the train at Central Station is: "It's very Eastern European isn't it? Sort of the outskirts of Zagreb."

On Newcastle he says: "It's dinky. I am surprised everybody knows who I am."

During an interview with BBC Radio Newcastle's breakfast presenter Mike Parr, Mr Sewell says: "Forgive me, but I think Newcastle is pretty hideous and not getting any better."

On the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, he says: "It looks like one of those old-fashioned machines that you use for slicing eggs."

On the Angel of the North, he says: "It's a totem. It's a fetish. It's just there, but don't tell me it's a work of art.

"Don't tell me that it has become like one of those things that you can come back to over and over again and still get that wallop in your stomach that a real work of art will give you every single time. It's bad engineering."

But he does give the thumbs up to the Laing Art Gallery and Grainger Street. "

Dead Ringers did Sewell a treat on the radio - the famous

"do people still gwo wound in skins hunting mammoths there?"

" Naa pet, that's Sunderland your thinking of ..."

Yup -its true

"  Mr Sewell is shown round Newcastle and Gateshead by Viz founder Chris Donald, who takes him to the Cobra exhibition at Baltic; on to the Gateshead Millennium Bridge; to lunch in The Strawberry pub opposite St James's Park football ground; on to the Laing Art Gallery; and finally to Anthony Gormley's Angel of the North.

Mr Sewell's first comment about Newcastle as he steps off the train at Central Station is: "It's very Eastern European isn't it? Sort of the outskirts of Zagreb."

On Newcastle he says: "It's dinky. I am surprised everybody knows who I am."

During an interview with BBC Radio Newcastle's breakfast presenter Mike Parr, Mr Sewell says: "Forgive me, but I think Newcastle is pretty hideous and not getting any better."

On the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, he says: "It looks like one of those old-fashioned machines that you use for slicing eggs."

On the Angel of the North, he says: "It's a totem. It's a fetish. It's just there, but don't tell me it's a work of art.

"Don't tell me that it has become like one of those things that you can come back to over and over again and still get that wallop in your stomach that a real work of art will give you every single time. It's bad engineering."

But he does give the thumbs up to the Laing Art Gallery and Grainger Street. "

28340[/snapback]

I saw that program with Sewell. The funny thing is, before it's recent facelift (which was after this program was made/aired) the Laing was pretty dreadful IMO. Some of the points he made were valid, whereas others were just designed to casue offence. With regard to Gateshead / The Angel, his comments were along the lines of "If they really want to improve the place, they should carpet bomb it". Rather than being outraged, I found his comments utterly tedious.