What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Just bought

A long way down- Nick Hornby

Freakonomics- Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J.Dubner

A Short History Of Everything- Bill Bryson

Starting with Hornby, will let you know how it goes...

Just bought

A long way down- Nick Hornby

Freakonomics- Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J.Dubner

A Short History Of Everything- Bill Bryson

Starting with Hornby, will let you know how it goes...

128028[/snapback]

I've got that, once I put it down I couldn't pick it up again :icon_lol:

bump

127928[/snapback]

Who's that by?? Any good?

The Fall of The Roman Empire by Peter Heather.

128118[/snapback]

Should have been "bump off", the Graeme Souness story, by Craig bellamy, assisted by myself ;)

I'm reading "His Way, the Brian Clough Story" by Patrick Murphy

Gunning my way through "Slick" by Daniel Price at the moment. Very 21st century - it's all school shootings, media manipulation, news fabrication and pointed narrative so far - but I have to admit it's something of a page-turner. Not sure I like where it's heading though.

127938[/snapback]

OK, the ending was cool enough. But I hate pressings of novels where you think you've got 20 pages left then you discover it's the last page already, followed by the first chapter of the author's next book then ten pages of plugs for books you have absolutely no interest in. Totally ruins my flow, maaan.

I always have several books on the go at the same time.

Right now I'm reading the following;

Mr Gillray: The Caricaturist - Draper Hill

About the late 18th & early 19th Century Caricaturist/Cartoonist James Gillray. I'm reading it as part of my British Political Caricature module at Uni.

Sweet Land of Liberty? - Robert Cook

About the African American Freedom Struggle since 1865.

Again reading that one for Uni.

Rude Kids - Chris Donald

The Story of The Viz - Quite a good read.

The Victorious Opposition - Harry Turtledove

Part of an alternative series in which the Confederacy wins the US Civil War. The Confederacy Allies with Britain and France in another war against the US in the 1880s and wins again. The USA allies to Germany resulting in WWI being fought on American battlefields as well as in Europe. The CSA, France and Britain lose to The USA, Germany and Austria. The CSA and France suffer badly and are plunged into economic crises. Although Britain is on the losing side and is stripped of Ireland and Canada they still have a large Empire and threaten the USA. The USA occupies Canada. By the Victorious Opposition the Canadians are rebelling against the US Occupation and the Fascist Freedom Party sweep to power in the CSA and begin rearming to take their revenge on the USA. Similar events unfold in France, supported by Britain.

The Longest Day - Cornelius Ryan

Umpteenth re-read of this one. It's basically an account of D-Day and the Normandy Invasions. I'm re-reading it to put together an alternative timeline in which D-Day fails, ultimately resulting in the Atomic Bomb being dropped on Germany.

At the moment I'm reading Pointless by Jeff Connor. He was given full access to East Stirlingshire last season (including the changing room on matchdays and board meetings) - I think it's great but it might be because I have an interest in the Scottish Third Division. It's written pretty well but proofread pretty poorly.

I've also got a few other books on the go that I can't be bothered finishing at the moment.

Craig Watson's The Battle for Hearts and Minds

Ewan MacGregors's The Last Book You Read

Joseph Heller's Catch as Catch Can

Fran Beauman's The Pineapple

The Historian - decent premise but the book drones on forever, im half way through and they still havent got to the point yet.

The broker - latest John Grisham novel, canny enough but he himself admits that he has no idea about the latest government technology. Bit of a shitter when its an integral part of your story

Northern Goalfields - found it in the back page, quality history of the northern league with a few funny anecdotes thrown in

Guest alex

I don't know how people can read more than one book at once, I've never been able to manage it. Anyway, just finished 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt which was excellent.

I don't know how people can read more than one book at once, I've never been able to manage it. Anyway, just finished 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt which was excellent.

130828[/snapback]

Unfortunately it took almost 10 years for her to write the follow up and it was shite!

She was an absolute babe too when they did all the press shots for the release of The secret history.

Guest alex
Unforgivable Blackness: Biography of Jack Johnson (boxer not singer).

130854[/snapback]

Did you see the three part series 'The Fight' that was shown on the beeb about the history of boxing? It was also repeated on UK History or something recently. The first one featured Jack Johnson a lot. It was an excellent series.

Unforgivable Blackness: Biography of Jack Johnson (boxer not singer).

130854[/snapback]

Did you see the three part series 'The Fight' that was shown on the beeb about the history of boxing? It was also repeated on UK History or something recently. The first one featured Jack Johnson a lot. It was an excellent series.

130862[/snapback]

The singer or the boxer?