What are you reading?

Brock Manson

• 1 month later...

The Buried Giant by Kazuro Ishiguro 

Proper grown up novel by a proper grown up novelist which I don’t usual do.... it’s weird, quirky and mystical, and it’s simultaneously obvious & predictable yet in the same paragraph you’re left thinking “what the actual fuck is going on?” ... enjoyed it overall but I can’t help thinking I missed what it actually meant, the ending isn’t final, it just sort of drifts and you’re left wondering why really..

Shuggie Bain is a brilliantly bleak tale of poverty and alcoholism in mid-80s Glasgow. Semi-autobiographical, apparently. Highly recommended though comes with a Debbie downer warning - a jolly read it ain’t 

Hidden Valley Road. A nonfiction book about a family in America with 12 kids, fully 6 of whom end up with schizophrenia. 

It's quite liderully a MENTAL story. Do you get it? Good book dickheads, read it and thank me. 

On 14/03/2021 at 09:27, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Been on a Bourdain binge thanks to Parts Unknown so ordered Kitchen Confidential and Cooks Tour. Any of his other books worth getting?

I've only read Kitchen Confidential haven't had time to read cooks tour yet but I've got it. Is it as good? The Layover and No Reservations are both watchers as well like. 

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hidden Valley Road. A nonfiction book about a family in America with 12 kids, fully 6 of whom end up with schizophrenia. 

It's quite liderully a MENTAL story. Do you get it? Good book dickheads, read it and thank me. 

I think I get it. Valley Road isn't hidden, it's part of their schizophrenic imaginations. Right?

10 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I've only read Kitchen Confidential haven't had time to read cooks tour yet but I've got it. Is it as good? The Layover and No Reservations are both watchers as well like. 

It’s canny, aye. Impossible not to read it in the cadence and voice of his PU voiceovers though. He absolutely loved a drink, like

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, NJS said:

4 for me. 

I don't read as much as I used to but fuck there's some pretentious shit in that list. 

:lol:

5 for me. 

Wolf Hall being one, Pratchett another. 

I should find the time to read more. 

I own 5. Not read any of them. I used to read all the time before the bairn but just find myself scrolling Twitter in the bath these days instead. Need to get back into the habit.

Ive just bought Dave Grohl's autobiography to take on holiday. I'll probably buy Bob Mortimer's too. Easier to read when you don't have Netflix/Amazon Prime on tap

Edited by Kid Dynamite

I've read 8 but some of them weren't even that good. 

I'm just finishing up Pat Nevin's book. I never read footballer's books, but this one has actually been pretty decent. I've got Mortimer to come. 

@Kid DynamiteI've read some excerpts from Grohl's and they've been a bit weird. Super flowery language like a sixth former's English homework. Hopefully just a bad selection cos I'd been thinking about giving it a go - let me know what you think.

I sound like I just read celeb autobiographies ffs. :lol:

• Like 1