What are you reading?

Brock Manson

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

Just read that review. The reviewer appears to have not got the joke, at all. Seems like he was expecting an actual crime story. Which is stupid, given the title.

Nowt worse than a stupid review, I always say. 

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from holiday. read the following: 

Hamnet - an enjoyable tale but I didn't feel it quite lived up to the hype -  7/10

Remains of the day - loved this. superbly executed. I have been putting off watching the film for years and now I can having finally read the book - 9/10

Beautiful World, Where Are You - bit meh after Normal People. More of the same but this time I found the main protagonists dull and pretentious this time and was a bit of a chore to get through it - 5/10

I'm also about two thirds of the way into the Nickel Boys - gripping read so far

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

just finished reading the secret barrister's fake law.

thought it a far easier actual read than his first excellent book and truly shocking in places with regard to myths surrounding our human rights, employment law and the legal aid system. the bloke very obviously has a place reserved in hell for chris grayling.

look forward to his new book nothing but the truth coming out next month.

:)

• Like 2

On 25/11/2021 at 11:05, Gemmill said:

Any idea when Pete Townshend is releasing that book he was researching? 

He's got to wait until his girlfriends are over 16 and can sign off on him using their names.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Read a few books recently, but I am currently reading this;

Humankind

A very interesting thought provoking read.  Even for a miserable sod like me :)

Whilst on holiday I read this book. Ultra-processed people in two days.  Absolutely fascinating and scary at the same time.  I like to think I eat well.  I cook a lot and I don't eat much microwave meals.  Infact, I cannot remember the last time I did.  I eat a lot of vegetarian / vegan meals.  Mostly as I like to buy my meat from the butchers and I don't get there much.  I stopped eating fish after watching Seaspiracy, but if I am at a restaurant and I see something I fancy I will have that as a 'treat'.  I digress.  Basically I have started making my own bread again as the stuff I was buying was shite!

I'm reading:

The Power of The Dog

The Sisters Brothers

Both quality. The latter is genuinely funny. About a pair of killers in the old west making their way across the country to do some killing and the various people they meet/mishaps. Nearly finished this one.

The former I'm about a third of the way into but it's got THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY SAD written all over it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Read a few books recently, but I am currently reading this;

Humankind

A very interesting thought provoking read.  Even for a miserable sod like me :)

Whilst on holiday I read this book. Ultra-processed people in two days.  Absolutely fascinating and scary at the same time.  I like to think I eat well.  I cook a lot and I don't eat much microwave meals.  Infact, I cannot remember the last time I did.  I eat a lot of vegetarian / vegan meals.  Mostly as I like to buy my meat from the butchers and I don't get there much.  I stopped eating fish after watching Seaspiracy, but if I am at a restaurant and I see something I fancy I will have that as a 'treat'.  I digress.  Basically I have started making my own bread again as the stuff I was buying was shite!

I fucking love making sourdough. I'm a loaf a week man. This week's was a 3:2 white flour/spelt flour concoction.

I somehow still stay in ketosis despite two slices of sourdough toast a day. I'm a genuine medical marvel.

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

PS stick to your SUNBLEST, scumbags!

You got a decent pizza dough recipe?

(Who was it who didn't like pizza? I bet it was some mockery of a person, some fraction of a man)

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

(Who was it who didn't like pizza? I bet it was some mockery of a person, some fraction of a man)

Aye standard sourdough recipe and just chop it into portions once it's ready to go.

50g starter

500g white flour

350g water

7g salt.

Do the usual proving shenanigans (YouTube foodbod sourdough for the process, her method is a piece of piss and works every time. No kneading, no flour all over the fucking place. All done in a bowl) and then chop into portions and shape into base.

You can even freeze some to use another time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I do my pizza dough in my bread maker which is a cheat but love making my own pizza

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Aye standard sourdough recipe and just chop it into portions once it's ready to go.

50g starter

500g white flour

350g water

7g salt.

Do the usual proving shenanigans (YouTube foodbod sourdough for the process, her method is a piece of piss and works every time. No kneading, no flour all over the fucking place. All done in a bowl) and then chop into portions and shape into base.

You can even freeze some to use another time.

As always G-Dogg, you're an inspiration.  Will give sourdough a go.

It's good fo your gut, Yorkshire T. No more coming home on your bike and being ashamed of letting your lass clean your bib shorts.

Get any of Elaine Boddy's books off Amazon. She's class.

• 1 month later...

Right, off to Greece for two weeks in two weeks TODAY so give me some holiday recommendations.

So far I’ve got

Elmore Leonard - Riding the Rap

Glen David Gold - Carter Beats the Devil

Dorothy Hughes - In a Lonely Place

Neil Andrews - Zaire ‘74 

So, that’s the kind of thing I enjoy. Any noir, thriller/mystery set in southern American states and non fiction about football. Have at it

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Right, off to Greece for two weeks in two weeks TODAY so give me some holiday recommendations.

So far I’ve got

Neil Andrews - Zaire ‘74 

So, that’s the kind of thing I enjoy. Any noir, thriller/mystery set in southern American states and non fiction about football. Have at it

life suicide GIF by David

7 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

So far I’ve got

Neil Andrews - Zaire ‘74 

Haven't got round to them yet but have heard good things about:

Don't Know Tough by Eli Cranor

Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby

Bob Mortimer's novel is a daft easy read too but does not fall into your categories.

7 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

So far I’ve got

Neil Andrews - Zaire ‘74 

I'm going to completely ignore your genre criteria and just list some of the books I've read this year that I liked, to wit:

Gabrielle Zevin - Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow
John Darnielle - Devil House
Susanna Clarke - Piranesi
Bryan Washington - Memorial