What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Recently finished Coupland's "Jpod". Spectacularly disappointing, particularly if you've read "Microserfs".

Now busy attacking James Wood's "The Book Against God", which is heavy enough to require being approached in bite-size chunks, but despite stealing a scenario about faking male orgasm from an episode of Friends (ffs) it's pretty rewarding.

Robert Harris - Pompeii. About halfway through, tis canny

193504[/snapback]

A dective story set in Sweden (?) not sure who the author is. One of them books where you give the characters names in your head like Smith, because the Swedish names are like an explosion in a scrabble box. werdteblejer :good:

Got round to reading Catch 22.

Half way through.

Enjoying it immensely.

193385[/snapback]

Just read that myself, awesome book. Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird - can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it - and got The Leopard by di Lampudesa (sp?) next. It's got some fantastic reviews but looks like it could be a little heavy going.

Recently read 'Survivor' by Palaniuk too (as recommended by BotDum :good: ) and 'Reasons To Live' Stories by Amy Hempel (ditto) as well as 'In Watermelon Sugar' by Richard Brautigan. All 3 were class. Nearly finished the bizarre but enjoyable 'The Third Policeman' by Flann O'Brien.

Insomnia - Stephen King, about 3/4 of the way through it. The problem with King novels is that he tells a good story, his novels have an excellent build up then it always seems to go tits up at the end. Like he's written 5/6 of a good book, then go on a magic mushroom binge before finishing the final chapters. See 'IT' and 'Bag of Bones' especially. Anyway, this is basically about an old couple who've been given supernatural powers to stop a suicide bomber. Jesus wept.

Got round to reading Catch 22.

Half way through.

Enjoying it immensely.

193385[/snapback]

Just read that myself, awesome book. Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird - can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it - and got The Leopard by di Lampudesa (sp?) next. It's got some fantastic reviews but looks like it could be a little heavy going.

193567[/snapback]

2 absolutely fantastic books everyone should read at least once.

Insomnia - Stephen King, about 3/4 of the way through it. The problem with King novels is that he tells a good story, his novels have an excellent build up then it always seems to go tits up at the end. Like he's written 5/6 of a good book, then go on a magic mushroom binge before finishing the final chapters. See 'IT' and 'Bag of Bones' especially. Anyway, this is basically about an old couple who've been given supernatural powers to stop a suicide bomber. Jesus wept.

193601[/snapback]

Aye I find the same with Stephen King's books of late. Starts off with a really good idea then completely blows it by descending into utter stupidity.

I read Catch-22 for the 5th time last month. My favourite book of all time tbh.I know people slag it and say it's overated, but I think it's superb on many different levels - comic, anti-war, the individual as a number...to name but a few.

193601[/snapback]

Aye I find the same with Stephen King's books of late. Starts off with a really good idea then completely blows it by descending into utter stupidity.

193607[/snapback]

Never read his stuff now, used read all the early ones. Same applies to Dean Kuntz

Recently finished Coupland's "Jpod". Spectacularly disappointing, particularly if you've read "Microserfs".

Now busy attacking James Wood's "The Book Against God", which is heavy enough to require being approached in bite-size chunks, but despite stealing a scenario about faking male orgasm from an episode of Friends (ffs) it's pretty rewarding.

193494[/snapback]

Shame about J-Pod like, was looking forward to it. Other than 'Hey Nostradamus!' it's the only novel of his I haven't read.

193494[/snapback]

Shame about J-Pod like, was looking forward to it. Other than 'Hey Nostradamus!' it's the only novel of his I haven't read.

193665[/snapback]

It's basically the nerd-cool and visual gimmickry of Microserfs with none of the content or charm. Probably not a bad read if you're totally new to the guy, but otherwise I have to say it all feels very contractual obligation.

Definitely get your hands on Hey Nostradamus though, I reckon you'd enjoy it.

Edited by Meenzer

193494[/snapback]

193665[/snapback]

It's basically the nerd-cool and visual gimmickry of Microserfs with none of the content or charm. Probably not a bad read if you're totally new to the guy, but otherwise I have to say it all feels very contractual obligation.

Definitely get your hands on Hey Nostradamus though, I reckon you'd enjoy it.

193673[/snapback]

I hadn't read Microserfs, or any of his other books, but I quite enjoyed Jpod. Not brilliant but quite cool in a strange sort of way

• 1 month later...

Just finished 'Fahrenheit 451' which is class and in a similar vein to 'Brave New World' and '1984' in terms of raising the dangers of conformity, suppression of information and mass control of the population in the future.