What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Guest alex
Unforgivable Blackness: Biography of Jack Johnson (boxer not singer).

130854[/snapback]

Did you see the three part series 'The Fight' that was shown on the beeb about the history of boxing? It was also repeated on UK History or something recently. The first one featured Jack Johnson a lot. It was an excellent series.

130862[/snapback]

The singer or the boxer?

130864[/snapback]

:blink: Guess. Are you up for the match at the weekend btw?

Unforgivable Blackness: Biography of Jack Johnson (boxer not singer).

130854[/snapback]

Did you see the three part series 'The Fight' that was shown on the beeb about the history of boxing? It was also repeated on UK History or something recently. The first one featured Jack Johnson a lot. It was an excellent series.

130862[/snapback]

The singer or the boxer?

130864[/snapback]

:blink: Guess. Are you up for the match at the weekend btw?

130879[/snapback]

Aye. The second I heard Cath was out of the country I put the feelers out. :huh:

130862[/snapback]

Saw that series - fantastic.

It was because of Jack Johnson that the phrase 'great white hope' began iirc.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil the thread so I will just state that I am still on The Fall of The Roman Empire.

Are you bringing your lass again, or will you be allowed to talk to us this time? :blink:

130885[/snapback]

She might be there but I'll leave the papoose at home this time. :huh:

PS you cant blame her for being all over me likes fly's round shit!

Guest alex
Having read 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens, I was left bitterly disappointed.

130758[/snapback]

Great Expectations is utterly fantastic.

131406[/snapback]

Good film too.

Just launching into my umpteenth Christopher Brookmyre now.

133193[/snapback]

There's nowt like doing a day's work is there? :quotes:

I'm having another go at the Da Vinci Code. Started it once before and just stopped halfway through. Which means I'm having to re-read half the book as well. Cliche-tastic!

Just launching into my umpteenth Christopher Brookmyre now.

133193[/snapback]

I read A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away (or something similar) which was very good. I tried to start reading another of his books but I couldn't be bothered with it. He's bald. And supports a really dodgy Scottish team, but I forget who.

I'm reading Gideon Defoe's The Pirates in an Adventure With Scientists. It's superb.

Guest alex
More of a Charles Bukowski man tbh.

66204[/snapback]

Have you seen Factotum? It's canny.

132628[/snapback]

Yeah, thought Matt Dillon was good. The book is class though.

I read Glue by Irvine Welsh while on holiday - very good, enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Canny chapter about them (Hibs casuals) going into the Rangers end at a game and causing all kinds of chaos. I know Welsh was a Hibs casual in the past, and it's canny interesting to read some of the stuff he's included about that side of life that is more than likely based on fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Why I Am So Wise by Friedrich Nietzsche.

I never tried it as typical Schoodent so I thought I'd give him a go now. I thought it was going to be a general 'I', as in a look at human cognition. Then I read the other chapter headings - "Why I am So Clever" & "Why I write such Good Books" :lol: and I thought it may not be so general.

I'm only into the wise bit so far but it's funny stuff like:

"However unchristian it may seem, I am not even inimical towards myself, one may turn my life this way and that, one will only rarely, at bottom only once, discover signs that anyone has borne ill will towards me - perhaps, however, too many signs of good will...My experiences even of those whom everyone has had bad experiences speak without exception in their favour, I tame every bear, I even make buffooons mind their manners. During the seven years in which I taught Greek to the top form of the Basel Grammar school I never once had occasion to mete out a punishment; the laziest were industrious when they were with me"

or

"One would have to go back centuries to find this noblest of races that the earth has ever possessed in so instinctively pristine a degree as I present it. I have, against everything that is today called noblesse, a sovereign feeling of distinction - I wouldn't award to the young German Kaiser the honour of being my coachman".

Conceited little prick. If he put that on his CV I'd shove it straight in the bin. No wonder everyone ignored him when he was alive.

Edited by Happy Face

• 1 month later...
Why I Am So Wise by Friedrich Nietzsche.

I never tried it as typical Schoodent so I thought I'd give him a go now.  I thought it was going to be a general 'I', as in a look at human cognition.  Then I read the other chapter headings - "Why I am So Clever" & "Why I write such Good Books" :( and I thought it may not be so general. 

I'm only into the wise bit so far but it's funny stuff like:

"However unchristian it may seem, I am not even inimical towards myself, one may turn my life this way and that, one will only rarely, at bottom only once, discover signs that anyone has borne ill will towards me - perhaps, however, too many signs of good will...My experiences even of those whom everyone has had bad experiences speak without exception in their favour, I tame every bear, I even make buffooons mind their manners.  During the seven years in which I taught Greek to the top form of the Basel Grammar school I never once had occasion to mete out a punishment; the laziest were industrious when they were with me"

or

"One would have to go back centuries to find this noblest of races that the earth has ever possessed in so instinctively pristine a degree as I present it. I have, against everything that is today called noblesse, a sovereign feeling of distinction - I wouldn't award to the young German Kaiser the honour of being my coachman".

Conceited little prick.  If he put that on his CV I'd shove it straight in the bin.  No wonder everyone ignored him when he was alive.

137921[/snapback]

By the time he wrote "Ecce Homo" he had descended into madness, tbf...

• 3 weeks later...

Just coming to the end of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. One of the best books I've read. :( Has anyone seen the movie Capote? It's on my list at Screenselect, just wondering if it's any good?

Just got round to reading the last chapter of centre of the earth, on to book four of the wheel of time now, bought the 11th book nearly a year ago but could not remember what happend so i have been slowly reading them up again.

Just coming to the end of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.  One of the best books I've read. :(  Has anyone seen the movie Capote?  It's on my list at Screenselect, just wondering if it's any good?

159167[/snapback]

I've got Capote at home (Amazon Rental) and I'm probably going to watch it tonight, so I'll let you know. Keep meaning to read 'In Cold Blood'. The only book by him I've read is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' which is well worth reading a bit darker than the movie.

Lewisham Library have decided that their LGB-interest books aren't worthy of actual shelf space, so they're now sitting in a corner on a rickety old trolley. Fab. :(

Just ploughed through Stephen Fry's "The Stars' Tennis Balls" as a bit of light summer reading - the basic plot's great (not surprisingly, since it's straight from the Count of Monte Cristo) but the implementation gets really clunky towards the end. Now hoping that Michael Cunningham's "A Home At The End Of The World" hits the spot.

I'm currently through the first 2 of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. They're canny actually, although not as funny as I'd hoped they'd be. Still, canny witty.

159170[/snapback]

Only ever read one 'Mort', bit shit in all honesty.