What are you reading?

Brock Manson

I'm struggling through 'Metamorphosis and other stories' By Kafka at the minute. It's ok, just finding the style a bit staid (probably due to it being a translation). 'Metamorphosis' itself was good though. Going to read 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick next I think.

Read a lot of Kafka years ago. In the translations I have read the style is staid but I was under the impressions that was part of the whole existential writing/characters. All is bleak but there is fuck all I can do so I may as well surrender now.

IMHO his work is best read while drunk and depressed.

I'm struggling through 'Metamorphosis and other stories' By Kafka at the minute. It's ok, just finding the style a bit staid (probably due to it being a translation). 'Metamorphosis' itself was good though. Going to read 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick next I think.

Read a lot of Kafka years ago. In the translations I have read the style is staid but I was under the impressions that was part of the whole existential writing/characters. All is bleak but there is fuck all I can do so I may as well surrender now.

Just finished The adventures of Tom Sawyer and The adventures of Huckleberry Finn :o

Just finished The adventures of Tom Sawyer and The adventures of Huckleberry Finn :o

Quality aren't they?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a few books off Amazon.

Currently reading Gas Masks for Goal Posts: Football in Britain during the Second World War - Canny read about how Football continued, albeit in unsual ways during the war. Some quite fuuny anecdotes, but quite sad as well - heroes and promising young players careers and lives cut short. Wartime football is often overlooked and forgotten, but it was vital that it continued - morale and all that, so it's good to have a book like this.

Also got 'Morbo' about Spanish Football and 'Tor' about German Football as well. Haven't read them yet.

It's not about the bike - Lance Armstrong

I got that for my mum to give her some inspiration for her fight against cancer, I'll give it a go when she's read it, he's a legend.

You read this yet Jimbo?

Read 23 Days in July, another cracker by Lance :)

I got that for my mum to give her some inspiration for her fight against cancer, I'll give it a go when she's read it, he's a legend.

You read this yet Jimbo?

No I haven't, I'll look out for it, thanks.

You read this yet Jimbo?

Np

The book you got for your mum (Hope all is ok too mate) is prolly one for none cycling fans, where as 23 days in July is a bit more for people who actually follow cycling, but is still good enough for people who dont.

I am currently reading The Damned Utd by David Peace, its ok.

You read this yet Jimbo?

Np

The book you got for your mum (Hope all is ok too mate) is prolly one for none cycling fans, where as 23 days in July is a bit more for people who actually follow cycling, but is still good enough for people who dont.

I am currently reading The Damned Utd by David Peace, its ok.

That looks very good, tempted to get that myself.

Tis a good book Jimbo. Its not a biography as such but most of its based on truth, its an odd one to get started, but its good in the end.

Right then, I need a book to read

I like

King

Practhett

Koontz (Sorry Cat ;))

Biographys (mostly sport tho)

That sort of a thing

Over to you :D

Are You Dave Gorman? by Dave Gorman.

not a biography, but a chronicle of someones obsession, VERY funny, very entertaining and nicely structured so picking up and reading it cover to cover isn't a pain in the arse, nor is picking it up and putting it down at your leisure

Freakonomics- Awesome book, again neither fiction nor a biography, but it's an interesting take on statistics (for example suggesting that the legalisation of abortion has had the greatest impact on the reduction of crime in America than any tougher/more lenient laws) and the like.

The only two people I've heard mention this Dave Gorman are Lou and the Fish. I suspect I may hate him too. :D

miserable bstd ;)

he's not "wacky" so I think he'd appeal even to you... although his comedy isn't as caustic as I presume you favour, he is a genuinely engaging story teller whose stories are worth telling.

alex, genuine question, what is it about him that you dislike?

:D Why? He's not zany, madcap or kerayzee... he's not a gag-merchant, he doesn't put on stupid voices or rely on physical comedy...

he's intelligent, subtle and has a good eye for what makes people laugh