What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Guest alex

Just read 'Lord of Light' by Roger Zelazny. It's a sci-fi novel in which the original human colonists of a distant planet aka 'the first' use technology and suppress the spread of technology amongst the other people on the planet. The first have set themselves up as Hindu Gods until one of the first decides to battle against. He represents a Buddha figure.

Reading 'In the Miso Soup' by Ryu Murakami now. The narrator is a guide around the sex clubs and bars of downtown Tokyo. His client, an American, turns out to be a froot loop.

I'd recommend both like.

Guest alex

Ian McEwan - Amsterdam Decent enough, quite a short read and quite easy to get into but got slightly tiresome towards the end.

Also bought...

Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward - All The Presidents Men

Harry Pearson - The Far Corner

David Peace - The Damned United

I want to get reading but I bought them for my hols so i'm trying to hold back ;)

I thought Amsterdam was pretty dull. I just had no sympathy for any of the characters either. Not read any of his other books though. Lettuce kna what 'All The Presidents Men' is like. Quality film.

Ian McEwan - Amsterdam Decent enough, quite a short read and quite easy to get into but got slightly tiresome towards the end.

Also bought...

Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward - All The Presidents Men

Harry Pearson - The Far Corner

David Peace - The Damned United

I want to get reading but I bought them for my hols so i'm trying to hold back ;)

I thought Amsterdam was pretty dull. I just had no sympathy for any of the characters either. Not read any of his other books though. Lettuce kna what 'All The Presidents Men' is like. Quality film.

I bought it solely for the Journalistic side story. You're right about the characters, just seemed like two pathetic middle aged blokes fawning over a dead slag. Saying that it kept my attention just long enough but it wasn't a struggle to put it down.

I thought the ending was fairly obvious aswell once you put the fact they were going to Amsterdam and the story that kept cropping up in editorial interviews together.

The only other book of his i've read is Enduring Love which was slightly better IMO.

I'll keep you informed about ATPM but thats the last book on my list with it being the longest. I'm betting that if I read it really slowly I can get it to last two weeks ;)

Edited by Skol

Just finished a book on European Football Hooliganism and the origins of it in each country.

Now in the process of reading a book on the history of the Sicilian Mafia.

Guest alex

Huckleberry Finn

Class book ;)

Reading up on some american literature seeing as I'll be studying it at uni.

I'll nip down the library and pick up Tom Sawyer as well sometime. ;)

That's class as well. You can often get both in a single volume.

Guest alex

You should read Moby Dick like Brock. And some Edgar Allan Poe. Classic American literature.

You should be an English teacher really Al.

Fuck that shit

Guest alex

You should read Moby Dick like Brock. And some Edgar Allan Poe. Classic American literature.

Fuck that shit

;)

I appreciate the thought though.

Fuck that shit

;)

When am I getting my books btw ? ;)

Guest alex

Fuck that shit

;)

I'll send you Lord of Light and The Sirens of Titan if you like. It'll be next week though as I'm in Belfast so I am. Pm me your address. I want them back though. I get very attached to my books. :icon_lol:

Fuck that shit

;)

I'll send you Lord of Light and The Sirens of Titan if you like. It'll be next week though as I'm in Belfast so I am. Pm me your address. I want them back though. I get very attached to my books. :icon_lol:

Lovely you'll have it in the morn.

You're still me favourite and good thing too. :icon_lol:

On the road by Kerouac is a really classic American book. Probably my favourite ever.

I've just finished Chisel beach by Mcewan (his latest). Thought it was brilliant. If you want his best work read the innocent though imo.

Currently reading Lunar Park by Easton Ellis. Not quite finished and struggling to imagine how this will end satisfactorily, good reading anyway though.

Guest alex

On the road by Kerouac is a really classic American book. Probably my favourite ever.

I've just finished Chisel beach by Mcewan (his latest). Thought it was brilliant. If you want his best work read the innocent though imo.

Currently reading Lunar Park by Easton Ellis. Not quite finished and struggling to imagine how this will end satisfactorily, good reading anyway though.

Spot on there with Kerouac. Have you read 'Big Sur'? It's sort of a follow up to 'On The Road' only ten years or so later when he's famous and cynical as fuck (not to mention paranoid too). Quite grim but excellent nonetheless.

Spot on there with Kerouac. Have you read 'Big Sur'? It's sort of a follow up to 'On The Road' only ten years or so later when he's famous and cynical as fuck (not to mention paranoid too). Quite grim but excellent nonetheless.

I've bought it but haven't read it yet. I'm bad with books and never get round to reading them except on my hols.

I cried at the end of "On the road". ;)

And Chisel beach. ;):icon_lol: