What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Guest alex

The Dice Man - Luke Reinhart. A NY psychiatrist decides to let a roll of the dice decide his fate. Sick and funny with it. Class so far.

The Dice Man - Luke Reinhart. A NY psychiatrist decides to let a roll of the dice decide his fate. Sick and funny with it. Class so far.

Always been tempted to give that one a go.

It's awesome. But you should let the dice decide whether you read it or not.

Guest alex

Aye well, I'd heard a lot about it and despite being about 500 pages long it's one of those that would be about 300 pages if the font was the same size as a Penguin book for example so don't let that put you off. Very readable prose too. Only about 1/4 of the way through but really enjoying it.

Guest alex

It's awesome. But you should let the dice decide whether you read it or not.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Given up on reading Alan Shearer : Portrait of a Legend

so currently reading

The Devil's Breath by David Gilman

Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Only just started it, seems alright so far, bit heavy going for just skimming through on the metro though so looking forward to sitting down and reading it properly.

Only just started it, seems alright so far, bit heavy going for just skimming through on the metro though so looking forward to sitting down and reading it properly.

I think the bloke's a grade A toss pot, I'm not religious or anything, but the way he goes about insulting anyone with a modicum of faith, he's just rude. He wants to let God's love into his heart and stop being the embittered husk he seems.

I think the bloke's a grade A toss pot, I'm not religious or anything, but the way he goes about insulting anyone with a modicum of faith, he's just rude. He wants to let God's love into his heart and stop being the embittered husk he seems.

Agreed, his arrogance is his undoing, I find his arguments intreging, but his manner and plain rudness undermines his work.

Without having read it in full I can see exactly where you're coming from, I'm an atheist personally but having read a little bit more since I posted earlier, his "tone of voice" so to speak does get you off on the wrong foot, even coming into the book as someone who is not likely to disagree with most of the content.

Agreed, his arrogance is his undoing, I find his arguments intreging, but his manner and plain rudness undermines his work.

Compared with Harris and Hitchens, Dawkins is extremely friendly and "unrude" when it comes to talking to Theists. His arrogance comes from a certainty in the science which is the bedrock of his point of view, whereas the other two do have the contempt more for the irrationality of belief which I share (while also relying on the science).

Happy Face: Which one of the thousands of Gods that you do and don't believe in should Dawkins embrace?

Edited by NJS

Happy Face: Which one of the thousands of Gods that you do and don't believe in should Dawkins embrace?

I was being sarky tbh. Like when a non-smoker is whinging about me smoking I'll tell them to have a bine to chill the fuck out, I'm not fussed what brand.

I was being sarky tbh. Like when a non-smoker is whinging about me smoking I'll tell them to have a bine to chill the fuck out, I'm not fussed what brand.

:jesuswept:

Sarky I like - fair enough :jesuswept:

(Second-hand murderer)

• 2 months later...

Tim Moore - Do Not Pass Go

I really like this fella's off-beat sense of humour, dating back to my days of slavish obsession to Channel 4 Teletext's "Digitiser" pages, but all of the books I've read by him so far tend to get a little tiresome by the end (yes, even the Eurovision one), and this is no exception. I suppose you can have too much of a good thing.

He's turned being a cunt into a science. :icon_lol:

He's turned being a cunt into a science. :icon_lol:

Has he told families of people who drowned in the flood that it was because we don't hate gays enough?

Has he told south americans that prior to being invaded, massacred en masse and robbed that they were crying out for God?

Give me one Dawkins quite that matches those for cuntishness.