What are you reading?

Brock Manson

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I've read 8 but some of them weren't even that good. 

I'm just finishing up Pat Nevin's book. I never read footballer's books, but this one has actually been pretty decent. I've got Mortimer to come. 

@Kid DynamiteI've read some excerpts from Grohl's and they've been a bit weird. Super flowery language like a sixth former's English homework. Hopefully just a bad selection cos I'd been thinking about giving it a go - let me know what you think.

I sound like I just read celeb autobiographies ffs. :lol:

The boy on the shed by Paul Ferris is superb and pretty moving. The best auto-biography of a footballer I've read. 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

The boy on the shed by Paul Ferris is superb and pretty moving. The best auto-biography of a footballer I've read. 

I'll give that a go cheers. Nevin's is actually decent. Finished it this morning. He's a proper lefty. 

The bit where he claims that black blokes would see him on the tube and mouth "respect" for his stands against racism in the 80s sounded a bit much though. Alright Soul Man. :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Anyone got any autobiographies that are just full of absolute shite? Stories that aren’t just not true but stretch all boundaries of rational thoughts. 

The best autobiography is Norm MacDonald’s but that’s not really an autobiography, I suppose

'Fucking hell it's Paul Cannell' has to be exaggerated but is still funny as fuck especially the bits where he's playing in America off his tits most of the time making guest appearances on TV tripping out of his box. :lol:

• Haha 1

Jerry Stahl’s book “Permanent Midnight” about when he was a smack head but also a writer on the TV show Alf is a canny read.

He got into lots of hilarious bother and ended up working some canny Shan jobs.

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Anyone got any autobiographies that are just full of absolute shite? Stories that aren’t just not true but stretch all boundaries of rational thoughts. 

The best autobiography is Norm MacDonald’s but that’s not really an autobiography, I suppose

The Mechnic about an F1 pit crew member is utter fucking wank. Always saying how he gets so pissed all the time yet can remember every minute detail of what happened. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Jerry Stahl’s book “Permanent Midnight” about when he was a smack head but also a writer on the TV show Alf is a canny read.

He got into lots of hilarious bother and ended up working some canny Shan jobs.

Explains a lot of the dialogue too

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Once upon a crime - Fergus Craig.

It's a bit of a laugh. 

Fergus Craig? Your mate from your podcast? :lol:

"Dave, do me a favour, about the new book, this massive Newcastle United forum you say you're in charge of.....you couldn't put a word in could you?"

"Sure Fergus, wouldn't want you singing the blues! ....... singing the blues, get it? Deacon Blue? God I'm seriously wasted around here, last time I bring in the frozen grapes for Newcastle natter that's for sure."

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Fergus Craig? Your mate from your podcast? :lol:

"Dave, do me a favour, about the new book, this massive Newcastle United forum you say you're in charge of.....you couldn't put a word in could you?"

"Sure Fergus, wouldn't want you singing the blues! ....... singing the blues, get it? Deacon Blue? God I'm seriously wasted around here, last time I bring in the frozen grapes for Newcastle natter that's for sure."

Well, Fergus Craig, my mate from the podcast who's also an actual writer and actor and that, aye. I'd say on his list of achievements, being my mate and doing a podcast would be pretty low down.

Mind, I get an acknowledgement in the book, so maybe being my mate is something he's proud of. :lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, Fergus Craig, my mate from the podcast who's also an actual writer and actor and that, aye. I'd say on his list of achievements, being my mate and doing a podcast would be pretty low down.

Mind, I get an acknowledgement in the book, so maybe being my mate is something he's proud of. :lol:

I didn't say it was shit did I? :lol:

;)

On 15/10/2021 at 15:41, Ayatollah Hermione said:

A rave 2-star review on Waterstones. Get me a signed one!

Just read that review. The reviewer appears to have not got the joke, at all. Seems like he was expecting an actual crime story. Which is stupid, given the title.

9 hours ago, The Fish said:

Just read that review. The reviewer appears to have not got the joke, at all. Seems like he was expecting an actual crime story. Which is stupid, given the title.

Maybe he thought he was buying one of the 300 other books called Once Upon A Crime. 

• Haha 1