So who was 'pleasantly surprised'?

Craig

May have come 12 months after he said it would but Fat Fred has certainly surprised me.

If you'd have told me at the end of May that we'd beat Everton to the signatures of Parker and Emre and Liverpool to the signatures of Owen and Solano, i'd have laughed in your face!

I only hope to god we capitalise on a great summer's worth of transfer activity - we have in the past bombed out despuite spending well during the summer...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down for "pleasantly surprised" and also "amazed what players want to come here".

I know Nobby is a Geordie and has a soft spot for us, but I think once we signed Owen David O'Leary knew that he couldn't keep Solano, Solano knew that o'Leary knew, etc etc. And we didn't have to pay over the odds because we weren't utterly desperate and he really wanted to come here. We've had to fork out top doller for Owen, but we've put ourselves in a much stronger position when it comes to attracting players and prising them from their clubs. We've brought in international superstars, and world wide press coverage showing how ambitious we are.

With Shearer having played a big role in attracting many of our signings it could be argued his staying on at the club was the best signing for us.

26068[/snapback]

I agree, not quite the bad influence and "cancer at the club" that some people claimed he is :lol:

3 days ago I was sick as a parrot. Now I'm over the moon. Whoever takes over from Souness has a squad at least as good as the best Bobby had in his time here.

I've not been fooled though. Freddie the Hutt has found a nice big plaster to stick over the festering, pulsating wound that runs deep into the club. If he doesn't take action to modify how the club and team are run in princibal the plaster will soon drop off.

I still think I'm dreaming. Only one cock up this summer ... and we didn't even pay for Craig Moore.

Emre, Parker, Luque, Owen, Solano

It all sounds too good. :lol:

26056[/snapback]

Jesus wept?

i'm actually looking upwards now.

I know the same people are bad at the top, but c'mon... it's a strong first eleven. There's room for improvement, but you can say that about any team bar chelsea, tbh.

I say give FFS and Souness until the end of the season now - FFS has delivered for us big time this summer, despite what the negative crowd will say... Who else had bought such quality this summer? ManU? nope, Arsenal? nope, Liverpool? nope. Everton? hahahahahaha. nope.

Souness has his dream team - if we're not in europe this time next year, fine.. boot the miserable scot, but until then, get behind the players (if not the manager), and prove that playing infront of 50,000 geordies in full voice is something players should dream about.

3 days ago I was sick as a parrot.  Now I'm over the moon.  Whoever takes over from Souness has a squad at least as good as the best Bobby had in his time here.

26083[/snapback]

I think Shearers role in the majority of our signings is the clearest sign so far that he will be the next man in charge.

Put me down for "pleasantly surprised" and also "amazed what players want to come here".

I know Nobby is a Geordie and has a soft spot for us, but I think once we signed Owen David O'Leary knew that he couldn't keep Solano, Solano knew that o'Leary knew, etc etc.  And we didn't have to pay over the odds because we weren't utterly desperate and he really wanted to come here.  We've had to fork out top doller for Owen, but we've put ourselves in a much stronger position when it comes to attracting players and prising them from their clubs.  We've brought in international superstars, and world wide press coverage showing how ambitious we are.

26064[/snapback]

O'Leary's comment about how Solano was excited by the Owen signing and wanted to move to a 'bigger' club was an obvious dig at Ellis.

3 days ago I was sick as a parrot.  Now I'm over the moon.  Whoever takes over from Souness has a squad at least as good as the best Bobby had in his time here.

26083[/snapback]

I think Shearers role in the majority of our signings is the clearest sign so far that he will be the next man in charge.

26087[/snapback]

Oh aye, barring a creosote fume induced coma Shearer's a shu in. Mebeez he'll convince Ronaldinho to come then.

With Shearer having played a big role in attracting many of our signings it could be argued his staying on at the club was the best signing for us.

26068[/snapback]

I agree, not quite the bad influence and "cancer at the club" that some people claimed he is :lol:

26077[/snapback]

I'm beginning to believe that Souness was brought in deliberately to hold the reins while Shearer prepared to take over. He's been heavily involved in 2 massive transfers this summer and it's all experience.

Perhaps his 'staying on' was more a case that things weren't ready fo him to take over? :lol:

Shearer has Derren Brown style mind powers, and can convince anyone to join us.

26108[/snapback]

"Look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, don't look around the eyes......"

0186_mattlucas.jpg

26068[/snapback]

26077[/snapback]

I'm beginning to believe that Souness was brought in deliberately to hold the reins while Shearer prepared to take over. He's been heavily involved in 2 massive transfers this summer and it's all experience.

Perhaps his 'staying on' was more a case that things weren't ready fo him to take over? :lol:

26105[/snapback]

Was saying the same thing to someone the other day. Souness is in to be the 'hatchet man' and Shearer will take over at some point.

26068[/snapback]

26077[/snapback]

26105[/snapback]

I'd be amazed if shearer wasnt the next gaffer, but am i alone in wishing this doesnt happen so soon? I want it to work so much, want us to win something with shearer as our manager that im dreading it all going tits up because its too soon for Shearer. Id rather he went to a lower league club for a couple of seasons first. Purely to gain some experience. Yes, the media would focus on him anyway because of who he is, but imagine him being under the spotlight at the Toon, the pressure would be immense. I just cannot bear to think of it not working out and BigAl, our legend having to leave under a cloud :icon_lol:

Shearer has Derren Brown style mind powers, and can convince anyone to join us.

26108[/snapback]

"Look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, don't look around the eyes......"

0186_mattlucas.jpg

26119[/snapback]

:lol: