So who was 'pleasantly surprised'?

Craig

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye I know you would.  But that conveniently ignores the fact that at the time we were punching above our weight, benefitting from the poor performances of the other teams challenging for the same positions, and were a team on the slide.  I'm not about to ignore that.

26387[/snapback]

nah, the year before that we were 3rd, and before that 4th.

Souness was appointed to keep us there, at least wasn't he ?

No matter what the standard of the rest was, we were 5th best, so we should definitely not settle for less especially now that he has been backed the way he has. At the time Bobby Robson was sacked we thought we were underachieving, not overachieving, and were 4 points behind Liverpool.

He's bought himself some time now, Souness, but he's got to do it in my eyes, 6th, 7th or 8th is just not good enough. For this money, it's champions league or a trophy or both.

Aye I know you would.  But that conveniently ignores the fact that at the time we were punching above our weight, benefitting from the poor performances of the other teams challenging for the same positions, and were a team on the slide.  I'm not about to ignore that.

26387[/snapback]

nah, the year before that we were 3rd, and before that 4th.

Souness was appointed to keep us there, at least wasn't he ?

No matter what the standard of the rest was, we were 5th best, so we should definitely not settle for less especially now that he has been backed the way he has. At the time Bobby Robson was sacked we thought we were underachieving, not overachieving, and were 4 points behind Liverpool.

He's bought himself some time now, Souness, but he's got to do it in my eyes, 6th, 7th or 8th is just not good enough. For this money, it's champions league or a trophy or both.

26407[/snapback]

Fair enough. I hope he delivers on both. Time will tell.

you're probably right gemmil. i'm just feeling mindlessly optimistic  after a thoroughly depressing summer has turned on its head in 24 hours.

26350[/snapback]

Not like me to be the pessimistic one. :lol:

26358[/snapback]

Did Renton and you mix up medications? Will we see Renton posting some upbeat endorsements regarding the manager now? :lol:

26362[/snapback]

Even the finest heroin money can buy wouldn't get Renton doing that.

26368[/snapback]

You're right, I'm as happy as Larry (who the hell is Larry anyway) over the signings, but will never support Souness, unless he performs a miracle and becomes a good manager. :icon_lol:

But I see these signings as giving him more rope. He won't be here much longer, and then we really can get going. :lol:

certainly very happy with the signings and I feel that perhaps I was too harsh on Shepherd, but when you're outside the box and can't see the internal machinations you can be forgiven for making the wrong decisions.

We are still lacking the fullbacks and left winger that would balance the side nicely, but we've dramatically improved the first 11. Owen is one of the few modern players that could ever actually "replace" Shearer. He's the pace and movement of Bellamy, with the added bonus of being able to put the ball in the back of the net with unerring frequency.

Nobby not only brings natural width to the side, his style of play will compliment Dyer and Emre and with a player like Parker who seems incapable of losing the ball, we've a very impressive and stylish midfield.

Yes we still lack the width on the left and our fullbacks are poor, and we're still not strong enough at the back in my mind. However, We've two strikers who are more than capable of winning the game on their own, we've the possibility of a really dynamic partnership. Hopefully the arrival of Owen will bring the best out of the first 11.

Also the arrival of a massive, simply statospheric player will attract other names and more importantly, other talented footballers to a squad that was, up until a few days ago, seriously on their ass!

I mst doff my cap to Freddy he may still think like a 1990's chairman, but f*ck me if he isn't afraid to back the club with cash.

Yes he syphons off more than his fair share, and this could all be fruitless as we have absolutely no guarantee of European football, or silverware. He is a PR Nightmare for the club and area, but he has delivered once again.

now all we need is a good manager, a left winger and left back and a right back, maybe a couple of center backs as well..

howay man Freddy, get the cheque book out you tight bassa :lol:

certainly very happy with the signings and I feel that perhaps I was too harsh on Shepherd, but when you're outside the box and can't see the internal machinations you can be forgiven for making the wrong decisions.

We are still lacking the fullbacks and left winger that would balance the side nicely, but we've dramatically improved the first 11. Owen is one of the few modern players that could ever actually "replace" Shearer. He's the pace and movement of Bellamy, with the added bonus of being able to put the ball in the back of the net with unerring frequency.

Nobby not only brings natural width to the side, his style of play will compliment Dyer and Emre and with a player like Parker who seems incapable of losing the ball, we've a very impressive and stylish midfield.

Yes we still lack the width on the left and our fullbacks are poor, and we're still not strong enough at the back in my mind. However, We've two strikers who are more than capable of winning the game on their own, we've the possibility of a really dynamic partnership. Hopefully the arrival of Owen will bring the best out of the first 11.

Also the arrival of a massive, simply statospheric player will attract other names and more importantly, other talented footballers to a squad that was, up until a few days ago, seriously on their ass!

I mst doff my cap to Freddy he may still think like a 1990's chairman, but f*ck me if he isn't afraid to back the club with cash.

Yes he syphons off more than his fair share, and this could all be fruitless as we have absolutely no guarantee of European football, or silverware. He is a PR Nightmare for the club and area, but he has delivered once again.

now all we need is a good manager, a left winger and left back and a right back, maybe a couple of center backs as well..

howay man Freddy, get the cheque book out you tight  bassa :lol:

26480[/snapback]

We don't lack width on the left. We've got Luque.

26480[/snapback]

I stopped reading at this point :lol:

sorry Gemmil I'm not conviced that Luque is a naturally wide player.

so that would be no "left winger" at the club.

26522[/snapback]

Fair enough. I think you're wrong.

So that would be a "left winger" at the club.

Actually I don't think he's a classic winger but I think he can operate on the left, put crosses in etc. I just wanted to make my response sound as prick-ish as yours. :lol:

26522[/snapback]

Fair enough. I think you're wrong.

So that would be a "left winger" at the club.

Actually I don't think he's a classic winger but I think he can operate on the left, put crosses in etc. I just wanted to make my response sound as prick-ish as yours. :lol:

26535[/snapback]

:lol:

26522[/snapback]

We still have a left winger at the club - just not in your personal opinion! :lol:

I am absolutely delighted. Can I just say that the signing of Nobby is equally as astounding to me as the signing of Owen. We do have a cracking team at the moment!  :lol:

26557[/snapback]

To be honest, I think the capture of Owen was slightly more astounding :lol:

I am absolutely delighted. Can I just say that the signing of Nobby is equally as astounding to me as the signing of Owen. We do have a cracking team at the moment!  :lol:

26557[/snapback]

To be honest, I think the capture of Owen was slightly more astounding :lol:

26560[/snapback]

the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and all that

someone asked me at work today if i thought we had a good team now and after thinking about it for a while i think pretty much everyone would agree that we have a good starting 11 when eberyone is fit. Themost important signing the club can make now is a decent coach/physio.

In terms of our full backs being our weakest link, i garauntee that carr at least will be a much improved player now that he will have a regular right winger in front of him every game. He can go forward knowing that nobby can cover, plus it means he isnt gona be relied upon to get forward as much.

In my opinion, there is 1 thing which have made a massive difference to our squa this summer, and that is not selling hughes. If we still had hughes it would give us cover in all defensive positions at least till jan when we could have got a right back and left back in and maybe let hughes go if souness had his mind set on it. It is the only sale a cant get my head around.

But for now im ecstatic/over the moon/delerious

howay the lads

oh and a little side note; for all the female fans the purchase of owen goes someway to fill the void left by robert! well it does for me anyway :lol:

oh and a little side note; for all the female fans the purchase of owen goes someway to fill the void left by robert! well it does for me anyway :lol:

26601[/snapback]

What the hell was attractive about Robert? He looks like the bleeding village idiot. Stick him in a jester costume and get him to do that silly dance he did when he scored and he'd look the part.

26601[/snapback]

What the hell was attractive about Robert? He looks like the bleeding village idiot. Stick him in a jester costume and get him to do that silly dance he did when he scored and he'd look the part.

26603[/snapback]

ooo i loved that lttle dance. He was gorgeous, loved it when he had that cheeky little grin on his face just after he had scored. ooo that sounds quite rude, :icon_lol:

oh and a little side note; for all the female fans the purchase of owen goes someway to fill the void left by robert! well it does for me anyway :icon_lol:

26601[/snapback]

26603[/snapback]

You really don't like him, eh. :lol:

Did he turn you down or what made you so bitter?

someone asked me at work today if i thought we had a good team now and after thinking about it for a while i think pretty much everyone would agree that we have a good starting 11 when eberyone is fit. Themost important signing the club can make now is a decent coach/physio.

In terms of our full backs being our weakest link, i garauntee that carr at least will be a much improved player now that he will have a regular right winger in front of him every game. He can go forward knowing that nobby can cover, plus it means he isnt gona be relied upon to get forward as much.

In my opinion, there is 1 thing which have made a massive difference to our squa this summer, and that is not selling hughes. If we still had hughes it would give us cover in all defensive positions at least till jan when we could have got a right back and left back in and maybe let hughes go if souness had his mind set on it. It is the only sale a cant get my head around.

But for now im ecstatic/over the moon/delerious

howay the lads

26601[/snapback]

Well not for me! Owen is just a good looking lad, but sexy? hot? he seems like a kid to me :icon_lol: Robert was good looking and far more 'manly' but no, the only guy id go for in the team is the very sexy Big Al :lol:

oh and a little side note; for all the female fans the purchase of owen goes someway to fill the void left by robert! well it does for me anyway :icon_lol:

26601[/snapback]

26603[/snapback]

I don't get it either. My wife was gutted when he left. Especially when we were away on holiday when he did the striptease.

Maybe if I bang my face off the coffee table a few times, my mouth will resemble someone with Down's syndrome, and the missus will be happier.

(Maybe I just prefer men with purdy mouths :lol: )

26601[/snapback]

26603[/snapback]

I don't get it either. My wife was gutted when he left. Especially when we were away on holiday when he did the striptease.

Maybe if I bang my face off the coffee table a few times, my mouth will resemble someone with Down's syndrome, and the missus will be happier.

26624[/snapback]

He doesnt personally do anything for me, as he's too smoothy looking, but surely you can see he's good looking? :icon_lol:

26601[/snapback]

26603[/snapback]

26624[/snapback]

He doesnt personally do anything for me, as he's too smoothy looking, but surely you can see he's good looking? :icon_lol:

26626[/snapback]

mong5xk.jpg

He's good looking, in a Joey Deacon sort of way...

26601[/snapback]

26603[/snapback]

26624[/snapback]

26626[/snapback]

mong5xk.jpg

He's good looking, in a Joey Deacon sort of way...

26630[/snapback]

I agree. Look at the clip of the bloke. He looks simple. And that dopey grin where his eyes go all slitty. Duelling Banjos time every time I see it.

B000002KEL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg