No plans yet to bring Woodgate home

Scottish Mag

Jonathan Woodgate is moving closer to finally making his Real Madrid debut - but no closer to securing a return to St James's Park.

Newcastle United chairman Freddie Shepherd said he spoke yesterday with the defender he sold to La Liga giants in January 2004 - but much as he would like there to be, there are no plans to bring him back to the club.

Michael Owen's move to the Magpies has given Madrid the funds to make a new signing and, with central defenders believed to be at the top of their wish list, has cast further doubt on the future of injury-prone Woodgate.

Last night, Real completed the signing of Sevilla defender Sergio Ramos for £18.4m.

But when asked if a return for Woodgate was on the cards, Shepherd said: "No. He just keeps in touch with the lads."

That contact, however, has raised the chairman's hopes of one day bringing him back.

"Jonathan watched Owen's unveiling on telly and thought it was fantastic," Shepherd said after speaking to him yesterday.

"He still has the club at heart and I told him the No 6 shirt is still on the hook."

Woodgate came through a rigorous practice match unscathed yesterday, raising hopes he could finally make his La Liga bow.

The England international was included in Real's squad for this season's Primera Liga opener at Cadiz, but ended up watching the game from the stands. But he played against local Segunda B side Leganes. With most of the Madrid squad on international duty, Woodgate was one of only seven first-teamers who took part in the 80-minute game.

Woodgate has been dogged by thigh problems since moving to the Santiago Bernabeu.

Two weeks ago the former Magpie played 45 minutes against Real's juniors, while last Tuesday he made an emotional five-minute Bernabeu debut against the MLS Select XI, and 24 hours later he turned out for 55 minutes against a side made up entirely of 17 and 18-year-olds.

would love to see him back here, even if it was on loan during the january window. playing against 18year olds in spain wont be doing him any favours, so unless he is going to walk straight into the real 1st team (doubtful when they have just bought ramos for 18mil) it would be a good move for him. i think our central defence would be the strongest weve ever had if we added him to the list... boum, taylor, woody, bramble.

The Hook? Is that Boumsong's nickname or something?

26179[/snapback]

Don't know, I told my wife I loved her when I left this morning so you never know.

The Hook? Is that Boumsong's nickname or something?

26179[/snapback]

Don't know, I told my wife I loved her when I left this morning so you never know.

26536[/snapback]

Have I logged onto a social club turn forum by mistake?