So will we revert back to 4-4-2?

worksop_magpie

Now we have a midfiled with two attacking wide hard working players (see wingers) will we revert to 4-4-2?

This suits shearer as he gets more service, owen as he can play off alan, solano as he can cross em in all day. The predicted 4-4-2 line-up would be:

.............................Given..................................

..Carr............Boum...........Taylor.............Baba..

..Solano.........Parker.........Emre..............Luque..

.....................Owen..........Shearer....................

Bench:

Harper

Moore

Bowyer

Dyer

Ameobi

I would expect more crosses to come from the right with Luque popping up on the back peg as he showed glimpses of against manure.

Edited by worksop_magpie

Now we have a midfiled with two attacking wide hard working players (see wingers) will we revert to 4-4-2?

This suits shearer as he gets more service, owen as he can play off alan, solano as he can cross em in all day. The predicted 4-4-2 line-up would be:

.............................Given..................................

..Carr............Boum...........Taylor.............Baba..

..Solano.........Parker.........Emre..............Luque..

.....................Owen..........Shearer....................

26215[/snapback]

That looks about right to me.

And not a moment too soon, I hated the quality of football under the 4-5-1 system he's tried.

I agree, except...

Bramble > Moore

26220[/snapback]

In central defence? I think we should try this pairing in the reserves first? Seen as though both have had pretty hefty injuries. Titus was turning it around last season though...

26222[/snapback]

No I meant I think Bramble is better than Moore, hence the >, and you put Moore in the substitutes.

I agree, except...

Bramble > Moore

26220[/snapback]

In central defence? I think we should try this pairing in the reserves first? Seen as though both have had pretty hefty injuries. Titus was turning it around last season though...

26222[/snapback]

No I meant I think Bramble is better than Moore, hence the >, and you put Moore in the substitutes.

26223[/snapback]

sorry :lol: But yeah what you said!

we have to go back to 4-4-2 if shearer is playing. surely we can't sign owen then shunt him to the right of a 4-3-3.

4-4-2 will also allow nobby to get a few crosses on shearer's heed

Though, I am not sure if Luque is used best in a wide position. He is more a striker than a winger and using him as deep as last Sunday would be a great waste of his talent. On the other hand, we don't have any wide left player at all...

Can't see much point playing Shearer. Him and Owen together were ineffective for England.

If we had another striker to play along side Owen we could go 4-4-2 but with the current lot i think he'll play 4-3-3 still with a midfield of:

........Solano........Parker........Emre.......

/Bowyer

and a forward line up of:

........Dyer.........Owen..........Luque.....

Not saying it's what i'd prefer but i'm not sure Shearer's going to start regularly up front with Owen. Owen is a top forward and will not want to do Shearer's running for him the way Bellamy did.

I'd return immediately to 4-4-2, but I still believe in 4-3-3 against the big sides.

When we had our full team we were the better side against Arsenal and Man Utd using 4-3-3. We were just bloody unlucky in both games, a dodgy red card against Arsenal and 3 injuries against Man Utd. That sort of thing weakens any team.

Against everyone outside the top 3, I'd go 4-4-2.

I rate Dyer but it's important to have a consistent first 11 who can gel and get a run of games together, and for that you need players who don't keep breaking down injured. Now Solano has arrived, Dyer has to fight for his place back as far as I'm concerned. His pace would make him a very threatening substitute, we saw that when he came on for England to replace Beckham and in 10 minutes was England's most threatening player, setting up chances immediately as he skinned tired defenders. Dyer would be a great option to have on the bench.

Solano----Parker---Emre---Luque

-----------Shearer--Owen----------

Though, I am not sure if Luque is used best in a wide position. He is more a striker than a winger and using him as deep as last Sunday would be a great waste of his talent. On the other hand, we don't have any wide left player at all...

26266[/snapback]

Spanish lad that I work with (who knows his football) reckons Luque operates best on the left but can work as a striker if asked to.

I'd return immediately to 4-4-2, but I still believe in 4-3-3 against the big sides.

When we had our full team we were the better side against Arsenal and Man Utd using 4-3-3. We were just bloody unlucky in both games, a dodgy red card against Arsenal and 3 injuries against Man Utd. That sort of thing weakens any team.

Against everyone outside the top 3, I'd go 4-4-2.

I rate Dyer but it's important to have a consistent first 11 who can gel and get a run of games together, and for that you need players who don't keep breaking down injured. Now Solano has arrived, Dyer has to fight for his place back as far as I'm concerned. His pace would make him a very threatening substitute, we saw that when he came on for England to replace Beckham and in 10 minutes was England's most threatening player, setting up chances immediately as he skinned tired defenders. Dyer would be a great option to have on the bench.

Solano----Parker---Emre---Luque

-----------Shearer--Owen----------

26360[/snapback]

i agree in theory but i'm guessing dyer will be expecting to start when fit after just signing an £80k a week contract

26266[/snapback]

Spanish lad that I work with (who knows his football) reckons Luque operates best on the left but can work as a striker if asked to.

26363[/snapback]

I don't want to dispute this. From what I have seen of him (though not very much) he didn't look like an out and out winger. And he is better when going forward then when he has a burden of defensive work to do.

26266[/snapback]

26363[/snapback]

I don't want to dispute this. From what I have seen of him (though not very much) he didn't look like an out and out winger. And he is better when going forward then when he has a burden of defensive work to do.

26372[/snapback]

aye. he looks a canny player, but is he really the 'hard working wide man' souness was after? strikes me more of an attacking winger/forward from what i've seen.

Has to be 4-4-2 usin Luque and Solano as the widemen and Shearer/Owen up front. Ut will get the best out of Al and Owen and the rest of themn basically and they will know exactly what they are doing.

Dyer when finally fit can chalenge for the RW and striker positions, i imagine Zog will have to cover the left, with enough options to choose for central midfield.

Owen and Shearer didn't work too well for England so don't get your hopes up.

Talk of us matching Chelsea in other threads is premature to say the least and laughable to say the most.

26266[/snapback]

26363[/snapback]

26372[/snapback]

aye. he looks a canny player, but is he really the 'hard working wide man' souness was after? strikes me more of an attacking winger/forward from what i've seen.

26379[/snapback]

They can be one and the same as long as they continue to function when we don't have the ball. I'm sure that's all Souness meant with that comment.

A few of the Depor fans commented that they thought he was more effective up front. Isn't that where he used to play, before Depor moved him wide left? The Depor fans have cited his tendancy to be offside as his main problem up front though, they weren't surprised when they heard he'd scored an offside goal against Man Utd. Unlike Boa Morte, who I think can "do a job" up front, Luque has played much of his career there and could easily be a danger up front if we played him there, he has lightning pace, strength, he's good in the air and very dangerous shooting. They say his running isn't the most clever, but after Owen he'd be our best striker. 11 league goals from left wing tells its own story, particularly for a Depor side struggling for goals.

Shearer needs crosses but so long as we have Solano on the right side, I wouldn't mind if Luque feels the need to cut inside on the left and get more involved in play. Having different options is a good thing, and hopefully Luque and Owen's pace in tandem would cause even the best of defences problems. Besides, I'm sure I've seen Luque putting in quality crosses before, even if it's not a main part of his game. So long as he can beat his full back he will always be a danger. Carr had to foul him a few times at the Riazor to save getting skinned for pace.

It really feels quite strange to speak about attacking options, considering our first 11 has picked itself all summer. When (if) our squad gets everyone fully fit Souness will actually have some tough decisions to make. Solano vs Dyer for example, and when to rest Shearer.

Edited by ohmelads

A few of the Depor fans commented that they thought he was more effective up front. Isn't that where he used to play, before Depor moved him wide left? The Depor fans have cited his tendancy to be offside as his main problem up front though, they weren't surprised when they heard he'd scored an offside goal against Man Utd. Unlike Boa Morte, who I think can "do a job" up front, Luque has played much of his career there and could easily be a danger up front if we played him there, he has lightning pace, strength, he's good in the air and very dangerous shooting. They say his running isn't the most clever, but after Owen he'd be our best striker. 11 league goals from left wing tells its own story, particularly for a Depor side struggling for goals.

Shearer needs crosses but so long as we have Solano on the right side, I wouldn't mind if Luque feels the need to cut inside on the left and get more involved in play. Having different options is a good thing, and hopefully Luque and Owen's pace in tandem would cause even the best of defences problems. Besides, I'm sure I've seen Luque putting in quality crosses before, even if it's not a main part of his game. So long as he can beat his full back he will always be a danger. Carr had to foul him a few times at the Riazor to save getting skinned for pace.

It really feels quite strange to speak about attacking options, considering our first 11 has picked itself all summer. When (if) our squad gets everyone fully fit Souness will actually have some tough decisions to make. Solano vs Dyer for example, and when to rest Shearer.

26906[/snapback]

Thats the point i was trying to get at, our crossing threat is on the right with carr and solano. On the left i would like to see Luque working more as a deeper left sided striker (more advanced than midfielder) who will cross if need be but always look for a pass or get on the end of crosses. Of course this could become a bit 2 Dimentional. I agree, strange to talk of attacking options! :unsure: