Champions League Final

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurrah, one of the world's biggest divers, the whiningliest hardman and the priggish Milan fans celebrate yet another victory.

Preferable to the Germans winning anyway! :D

Jealousy tbh. :D

A Liverpool win would have been further to the detriment of Newcastle United, thats why I couldn't understand the support lastnight.

Guest alex

A Liverpool win would have been further to the detriment of Newcastle United, thats why I couldn't understand the support lastnight.

Aye, I don't get it for that reason either.

3 years ago, I'd have agreed with you. I don't now - they're miles ahead of us (more indicative of our decline than any ascent on their part).

They still got to a Champions League Final regardless of winning it. If winning it would strengthen their position over us, coming runners-up won't have done them much harm.

I don't think it does make much of a difference tbh. They are much ahead of Newcastle United anyway, just another victory wouldn't have made the gap between the clubs any bigger. I could understand this argument if it was a club on the arguable same level as Newcastle (Spurs, Everton etc.).

Guest alex

3 years ago, I'd have agreed with you. I don't now - they're miles ahead of us (more indicative of our decline than any ascent on their part).

They still got to a Champions League Final regardless of winning it. If winning it would strengthen their position over us, coming runners-up won't have done them much harm.

Winning it would have strengthened their posistion even more though.

Guest alex

I don't think it does make much of a difference tbh. They are much ahead of Newcastle United anyway, just another victory wouldn't have made the gap between the clubs any bigger. I could understand this argument if it was a club on the arguable same level as Newcastle (Spurs, Everton etc.).

It wasn't my motivation for wanting them to lose anyway :D

Regardless of the gap, they are our rivals along with the other 18 clubs in the Premiership, and I don't want to see any further advantage given to any of them.

I think that's the weakest argument tbh, Liverpool winning would have made no difference to us. As I said last night, it's up to Newcastle to win things on our own merits, we're a million miles from qualifying for the CL let alone winning it.

It is possible to have soft spots for other teams btw, even in the same league. Some teams I hate, others I really don't mind. I prefer Liverpool to Milan for instance; however, I prefer Barca to Liverpool. In that sense, the team's nationality has little to do with it.

As for the national team, it wasn't just a few arseholes Alex, it was probably the majority. Never experienced an atmosphere like it and never want to again. I'm completely ambivalent to the team, but then I don't really count myself as English, so why should it be any other way? Besides, England are shit and supporting one shit team is bad enough!

Unfotunately I think they've moved way ahead of at the moment - 3 or 4 years ago when it was Houllier then the gap was tiny but now with Benitez/Yanks its huge again.

On the bother I'd say the truth lies in the middle as usual- arsehole element + shite policing.

My order of prefernce btw is NUFC > infinity > any fucker else.

Winning it would have strengthened their posistion even more though.

Would you rather English teams were knocked out in the early rounds and our allocation was reduced?

Guest alex

I think that's the weakest argument tbh, Liverpool winning would have made no difference to us. As I said last night, it's up to Newcastle to win things on our own merits, we're a million miles from qualifying for the CL let alone winning it.

It is possible to have soft spots for other teams btw, even in the same league. Some teams I hate, others I really don't mind. I prefer Liverpool to Milan for instance; however, I prefer Barca to Liverpool. In that sense, the team's nationality has little to do with it.

As for the national team, it wasn't just a few arseholes Alex, it was probably the majority. Never experienced an atmosphere like it and never want to again. I'm completely ambivalent to the team, but then I don't really count myself as English, so why should it be any other way? Besides, England are shit and supporting one shit team is bad enough!

Calm down :D

Regardless of the gap, they are our rivals along with the other 18 clubs in the Premiership, and I don't want to see any further advantage given to any of them.

What further advantage does it give them over us if they'd won it? Seriously?

if they were on a par with us perhaps I'd see your point. Take away your loyalty for NUFC for one moment and ask yourself this:

You're a footballer who is being chased by two clubs, one finished 3rd in the league, qualified for the Champions League and have just finished runners up in this season's competition. The other finished 13th and have no European football next season.

Which seems the more appealing prospect?

And now ask yourself had the team who finished 3rd actually won the Champions League, would it have any significant bearing on your decision? I doubt it would.

They finished runners up in a competition we couldn't even qualify for. That's like Whitley Bay begrudging Newcastle winning the FA Cup - it's crackers.

if they were on a par with us perhaps I'd see your point. Take away your loyalty for NUFC for one moment and ask yourself this:

You're a footballer who is being chased by two clubs, one finished 3rd in the league, qualified for the Champions League and have just finished runners up in this season's competition. The other finished 13th and have no European football next season.

And now ask yourself had the team who finished 3rd actually won the Champions League, would it have any significant bearing on your decision? I doubt it would.

They finished runners up in a competition we couldn't even qualify for. That's like Whitley Bay begrudging Newcastle winning the FA Cup - it's crackers.

I cannot support another English team to win a football match that will see them gain even more financial advantage over us and make them even more attractive to players that we might also be in the market for, I cannot turn off my support for Newcastle United like the flick of a switch when the disadvantages to us are so clear.

Guest alex

They don't have to be in direct competition for the same player as us. They could get a better player who chose them over another Champions League club for example on the back of their winning.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. The scousers got beat when the opposition were there for the taking, they were given false hope at the end with a goal back, and their fans have disgraced themselves. I love it when a plan comes together.

I cannot support another English team to win a football match that will see them gain even more financial advantage over us and make them even more attractive to players that we might also be in the market for, I cannot turn off my support for Newcastle United like the flick of a switch when the disadvantages to us are so clear.

I get your points and I'm not saying your wrong. I'm not turning off my support for NUFC in my eyes because we're not involved in the competition.

As for the disadvantages, they're not clear at all to me but as I said, we all see it differently.

Guest alex

Anyway, all's well that ends well. The scousers got beat when the opposition were there for the taking, they were given false hope at the end with a goal back, and their fans have disgraced themselves. I love it when a plan comes together.

:D Result.

:D