Champions League Final

Kid Dynamite

and think it is incredibly small minded of people to not want that because the team isn't Newcastle.

The way I explained it at work today to a "football fan" who couldn't understand why I wanted them to lose was "You've obviously never seen your team play them, you've never been to Anfield to see your team play with all that involves off the pitch and most of all you don't remember what utter, utter bastards they were when they were top dogs".

I'm not sure what your point is. I've seen them play at Anfield, as a neutral and against us. Never had any problems, in defeat or victory.

I know you have a certain amount of bitterness towards Liverpool, for me the irony is I'll be the one treated as the odd one for wanting a fellow Northern team to do well, not you for preferring an Italian one to do well. Oh well, never mind, hoped you enjoyed Kaka's latin religious sentiments.

;)

God gave him the talent to play football but made him stupid enough to believe.

I've never understood an "affinity with northerners" as you suggest - to me they were just other teams - the Hartlepools and Darlos meant nothing and I always had proper reasons to hate the ones I actually encountered eg Leeds and Sheff Weds.

I know you have personal reasons for "liking" them - joking aside - and I suppose I should confess my secret as well - my brother supports them. It was actually him more than my Dad who "raised" me as a Newcastle fan but then he defected in 76 - the ultimate in treason. That is a factor but I stand by what I said - the dealings I've had with them over the years has left me not trusting them. They live the stereotype.

My boss at work is Irish and supports them (he's seen them play once a West Ham this year). His brother however goes to a lot of games and couldn't get a ticket for tonight so came over to Liverpool to watch it. My boss said he'd booked the trip until Monday because he wanted to watch the victory bus tour - summed up the bastards for me.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern over Meeelan winning is that Gabriel Marcotti's head has now expanded exponentially.

and think it is incredibly small minded of people to not want that because the team isn't Newcastle.

The way I explained it at work today to a "football fan" who couldn't understand why I wanted them to lose was "You've obviously never seen your team play them, you've never been to Anfield to see your team play with all that involves off the pitch and most of all you don't remember what utter, utter bastards they were when they were top dogs".

I'm not sure what your point is. I've seen them play at Anfield, as a neutral and against us. Never had any problems, in defeat or victory.

I know you have a certain amount of bitterness towards Liverpool, for me the irony is I'll be the one treated as the odd one for wanting a fellow Northern team to do well, not you for preferring an Italian one to do well. Oh well, never mind, hoped you enjoyed Kaka's latin religious sentiments.

:icon_lol:

:D;):lol:

Seeing the thunderous look on Souness's face on SKY at half time quickly irradicated any lingering doubts of my favouritism towards Milan.

;)

;)

I've never understood an "affinity with northerners" as you suggest - to me they were just other teams - the Hartlepools and Darlos meant nothing and I always had proper reasons to hate the ones I actually encountered eg Leeds and Sheff Weds.

I know you have personal reasons for "liking" them - joking aside - and I suppose I should confess my secret as well - my brother supports them. It was actually him more than my Dad who "raised" me as a Newcastle fan but then he defected in 76 - the ultimate in treason. That is a factor but I stand by what I said - the dealings I've had with them over the years has left me not trusting them. They live the stereotype.

My boss at work is Irish and supports them (he's seen them play once a West Ham this year). His brother however goes to a lot of games and couldn't get a ticket for tonight so came over to Liverpool to watch it. My boss said he'd booked the trip until Monday because he wanted to watch the victory bus tour - summed up the bastards for me.

I feel your pain, my brother used to support Newcastle and has defected. He is there tonight...... lol

:D

I feel your pain, my brother used to support Newcastle and has defected. He is there tonight...... lol

;) That......lol on the end is quality. Hope you've texted him to comiserate.

Almost as good as Liverpool losing is Renton getting all emotional as his scouse sympathiser tendencies get the better of him. ;)

"You're all so bitter! We're rubbish you know, have you forgotten that? OMG you want the Italians to win! Can't believe it la!"

Honestly Gemmill, I'm not bothered, I had a preference for Liverpool tonight, no more. In fact, I suspect, had Liverpool won more people would have been bothered, perhaps you included.

NJS and SpongeBob, I think you know somewhere where your own prejudices lie. I have a different life experience, that's all.

Anyway, all of this is insignificant to me now after today's real news. :D

Almost as good as Liverpool losing is Renton getting all emotional as his scouse sympathiser tendencies get the better of him. ;)

"You're all so bitter! We're rubbish you know, have you forgotten that? OMG you want the Italians to win! Can't believe it la!"

Honestly Gemmill, I'm not bothered, I had a preference for Liverpool tonight, no more. In fact, I suspect, had Liverpool won more people would have been bothered, perhaps you included.

NJS and SpongeBob, I think you know somewhere where your own prejudices lie. I have a different life experience, that's all.

Anyway, all of this is insignificant to me now after today's real news. :D

Amen brother.

Opened me miller, 20 mins later Milan score the second. :D

Eerie coincidence.

Exactly.

When sky cut to that kid bawling his eyes out, me old man and I pissed ourselves laughing. :lol:

I was the same ;)

Is everyone glad an Italian team has won it more than an English one?

Yes.

Benitez talked of as some sort of God at 7:40pm yet had become a tactical buffoon by 9:35pm. I love scousers me.

Is everyone glad an Italian team has won it more than an English one?

Yes.

Benitez talked of as some sort of God at 7:40pm yet had become a tactical buffoon by 9:35pm. I love scousers me.

Seems strange to me that there are so many fans here that have in the past said they would rather see Newcastle win a corner than see England win the world cup, but suddenly get patriotic and emotional when Liverpool play an Italian team in the European Cup final.

Frustration As Liverpool Lose Final

Updated: 22:25, Wednesday May 23, 2007

Liverpool have lost the Champions League final 2-1 to AC Milan with some supporters prevented from entering the Olympic Stadium in Athens during clashes with riot police over crowd congestion.

Down and out in Athens

After passing through an initial cordon, where they had to show their tickets, fans went through a second one where they were checked for authenticity.

Then after walking across the Olympic complex, as they neared the stadium, they were funnelled between police buses and severe bottlenecks built up as Greek police urged them to slow down.

Riot police moved in behind the bottleneck on the concourse to stop other fans joining it.

In the end at least 2,000 fans were still outside as kick-off time approached, and disorder erupted as they chased up staircases to try to get into the ground in any way possible.

Kenny Roberts, 19, from Norris Green, Liverpool, said: "I've got no chance of using my ticket now. I've been teargassed and hit on the back of the head by the police.

I've paid good money for that ticket, I'm a season ticket holder, and this is just disgraceful. It's terrible organisation."

Fans were held back on two staircases leading to an upper level outside the ground, and there were sporadic flare-ups with riot police, who used their sticks on the fans when they tried to break through.

One of the riot police officers told fans: "It's not our fault, we've been told the stadium is full."

Two Liverpool fans from Norway paid 3,000 euros each for travel packages including a match ticket but could not get in.

Rune Loholt, 35, said: "I've heard that fans without valid tickets managed to get past the authorities, and that's why genuine supporters can't get in.

"It's a real disgrace, they've done a lousy job."

There have been mixed fortunes before kick-off as demand for tickets far outstripped supply.

Officially, the club had 17,000 tickets. British police said there were 25,000 Reds in Athens - but the club says the figure was more likely to be 40,000.

When will they ever learn?

Frustration As Liverpool Lose Final

Updated: 22:25, Wednesday May 23, 2007

Liverpool have lost the Champions League final 2-1 to AC Milan with some supporters prevented from entering the Olympic Stadium in Athens during clashes with riot police over crowd congestion.

Down and out in Athens

After passing through an initial cordon, where they had to show their tickets, fans went through a second one where they were checked for authenticity.

Then after walking across the Olympic complex, as they neared the stadium, they were funnelled between police buses and severe bottlenecks built up as Greek police urged them to slow down.

Riot police moved in behind the bottleneck on the concourse to stop other fans joining it.

In the end at least 2,000 fans were still outside as kick-off time approached, and disorder erupted as they chased up staircases to try to get into the ground in any way possible.

Kenny Roberts, 19, from Norris Green, Liverpool, said: "I've got no chance of using my ticket now. I've been teargassed and hit on the back of the head by the police.

I've paid good money for that ticket, I'm a season ticket holder, and this is just disgraceful. It's terrible organisation."

Fans were held back on two staircases leading to an upper level outside the ground, and there were sporadic flare-ups with riot police, who used their sticks on the fans when they tried to break through.

One of the riot police officers told fans: "It's not our fault, we've been told the stadium is full."

Two Liverpool fans from Norway paid 3,000 euros each for travel packages including a match ticket but could not get in.

Rune Loholt, 35, said: "I've heard that fans without valid tickets managed to get past the authorities, and that's why genuine supporters can't get in.

"It's a real disgrace, they've done a lousy job."

There have been mixed fortunes before kick-off as demand for tickets far outstripped supply.

Officially, the club had 17,000 tickets. British police said there were 25,000 Reds in Athens - but the club says the figure was more likely to be 40,000.

When will they ever learn?

Look out for that slab!!! ;)

;)

I think it's lovely to see Renton, NJS etc in typical fashion being open-minded, tolerant and non-hypocritical as always.

It's a t-shirt for goodness sake. You'll get over it. Go wear a "I'm not stupid enough to believe" t-shirt down the streets in Newcastle if this issue really touches both of you so much.

I must admit I felt Milan would win and must confess I wanted them to. ;)

But why, why would I ever want a foreign team to beat an English one?

Even if I have feelings of dislike for certain home-land teams surely I should want English teams to prevail over the foreign ones, especially the Wops and the Krauts who evoke feelings that go back and way beyond football. Well at least for me they do.

It's a difficult equation to fathom but shouldn't we have feelings of patriotism when one of our own take on the foreigners?

Shouldn't we put our feelings aside and cheer the flag regardless of who is carrying it?

;)

I think it's lovely to see Renton, NJS etc in typical fashion being open-minded, tolerant and non-hypocritical as always.

It's a t-shirt for goodness sake. You'll get over it. Go wear a "I'm not stupid enough to believe" t-shirt down the streets in Newcastle if this issue really touches both of you so much.

Part of my post was deliberately an intent to re-establish common ground with NJS, I admit.

But you've raised some interesting issues.

How would you feel if Kaka had on his shirt (which you imply is meaningless, even though it might be viewed by 3 BILLION people):

There is no God

Allah is the only God

Become a Scientologist at www.................

Confuscias says...........

I bet you wouldn't be happy at the first two at least. Now, consider why in a supposed secular country I'm not chuffed at someone criticising me for making an observation about a highly paid sports star making such an overt proclamation......

I only know 2 liverpool fans, both armchair dicks, never been to anfield but got the tattoo's ;)

I know far more dedicated Man U and Everton fans who would be gutted.

Either way, it was a win win situation.

Edited by Happy Face