Breaking news: Sir John Hall sells his share

Jimbo

On 23/05/2007 at 17:06, Gemmill said:

Fucking hell, just when you thought there was no hope for this club, we sign Allardyce one week and then look like getting bought by a billionaire the next. Happy days are here again.

Oh, my - getting excited about Allardyce and Ashley in the same post. :lol:

• Haha 4

All joking aside, almost 15 years ago to the day we were almost unequivocally rejoicing at the replacement of both Roeder & Shepherd (both now sadly RIP) will Allardyce & Ashley. 

We really didn't understand what was about to hit us. :sad: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think we’ll all be guilty of something like that deep in the murky archives of toontastic :lol: 

Without a doubt. :lol:

Not sure about on here but I can remember describing Allardyce as a "grown up professional" in his early days. I think Derby away changed everything for me and opened my eyes even more than the Portsmouth game. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NJS said:

Not sure about on here but I can remember describing Allardyce as a "grown up professional" in his early days. I think Derby away changed everything for me and opened my eyes even more than the Portsmouth game. 

I think a lot of people had the wool pulled over their eyes with Allardyce due to a combo of him overachieving with Bolton and the press constantly telling everyone how great he was. Then again, not sure anyone could have predicted he’d react to having money for the first time ever by signing a finished Alan Smith for 7 million or whatever it was 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think a lot of people had the wool pulled over their eyes with Allardyce due to a combo of him overachieving with Bolton and the press constantly telling everyone how great he was. Then again, not sure anyone could have predicted he’d react to having money for the first time ever by signing a finished Alan Smith for 7 million or whatever it was 

It was £6m and I was gobsmacked he'd paid it even at the time. 

23 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Priced a fair few fans out at the beginning of the ride and a Thatcher disciple, so thanks for getting involved and starting the turnaround but don't pretend you and shepherd never made a small fortune out of NUFC. 

I think I read that, when Ashley bought the club, the debt was more of less equal to the amount the Halls and Shepherd had paid themselves during their tenure 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

£12 million for him and Barton and then god knows what Geremi was on a week. 3 players that their respective clubs couldn’t wait to get shot of

Don’t forget Barton wouldn’t come at first because of a dispute between him and Man City. It was over a £1m loyalty bonus which they claimed he was no longer due. Can’t remember if we paid the extra via the transfer or a signing on bonus but NUFC definitely footed the bill 

• Like 1

I'm mixed about Barton. At the time I thought it was a decent purchase but then during the 08/09 relegation season I think he was somewhat of a liability - both on and off the field. However the promotion season and then subsequent time he was with us I think he flourished. He certainly paired up well in midfield with Tiote & Nolan.

He was first class at shithousery / winding the Mackems up and he hated Ashley, making little effort to hide the fact. I seem to recall the consensus when he moved on was we were gutted. 

He was a far better acquisition than some of the other names that were spoken about - Alan Smith / Geremi / etc.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

He was first class at shithousery / winding the Mackems up and he hated Ashley, making little effort to hide the fact. I seem to recall the consensus when he moved on was we were gutted. 

He was a far better acquisition than some of the other names that were spoken about - Alan Smith / Geremi / etc.

smith was a parasite and geremi had forgotten how to play football by the time he rocked up at sjp - classic case of a final payday 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig said:

I'm mixed about Barton. At the time I thought it was a decent purchase but then during the 08/09 relegation season I think he was somewhat of a liability - both on and off the field. However the promotion season and then subsequent time he was with us I think he flourished. He certainly paired up well in midfield with Tiote & Nolan.

He was injured for the majority of the promotion season. Danny Guthrie made something like 5x more league starts, to put it into perspective. He had a good season the following year on the right when Tiote played so well Nolan’s lack of mobility wasn’t even noticed in a 4-4-2 (Nolan played well but Tiote allowed him a degree of freedom). Considering the transfer fee, wages and considerable hassle, I don’t think one decent season in the PL represented good value for money re: Barton. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Barton had about 1 good season and goes on like he’s Mr Newcastle whenever he’s interviewed. Can’t be doing with it

That and his attempted transformation to misunderstood intellectual :lol: 

• Haha 2

Hahah remember him on Question Time with his librarian glasses on and the first thing he comes out with is a deeply mysoginistic simile about fat women. :lol: 

• Haha 4