Buggy woman crashes through train

sweetleftpeg

An elderly woman on a mobility scooter crashed through train doors and onto the track after boarding a Metro service on South Tyneside.

She drove onto the train at Brockley Whins station with enough force to break open the opposite door's lock, according to Metro operator Nexus.

A spokesman said no door had ever been forced open on Tyne and Wear Metro and called the incident "unprecedented".

The woman suffered bruising but was not seriously hurt.

In 27 years of operating the Metro, no door has ever been forced open. It's unprecedented

Huw Lewis, Nexus spokesman

An investigation into the incident, on Monday morning, has been launched, but the initial findings indicate that there was no fault with the train door.

Nexus spokesman Huw Lewis said: "The speed at which the mobility scooter was travelling is subject to the investigation, but it was driven with enough force to crash through the doors.

"The scooter didn't actually drop onto the tracks but became wedged in the open doors, and the woman then fell out.

"A passenger on the opposite platform jumped down and partially broke her fall."

It is the first time Nexus has seen a door forced open, and there was no risk that trains were unsafe, he added.

"We've had incidents of vandals kicking doors and damaging locks and in those cases the trains have been taken out of service.

"But in 27 years of operating the Metro, no door has ever been forced open. It's unprecedented."

:D:D:rolleyes:

An elderly woman on a mobility scooter crashed through train doors and onto the track after boarding a Metro service on South Tyneside.

She drove onto the train at Brockley Whins station with enough force to break open the opposite door's lock, according to Metro operator Nexus.

A spokesman said no door had ever been forced open on Tyne and Wear Metro and called the incident "unprecedented".

The woman suffered bruising but was not seriously hurt.

In 27 years of operating the Metro, no door has ever been forced open. It's unprecedented

Huw Lewis, Nexus spokesman

An investigation into the incident, on Monday morning, has been launched, but the initial findings indicate that there was no fault with the train door.

Nexus spokesman Huw Lewis said: "The speed at which the mobility scooter was travelling is subject to the investigation, but it was driven with enough force to crash through the doors.

"The scooter didn't actually drop onto the tracks but became wedged in the open doors, and the woman then fell out.

"A passenger on the opposite platform jumped down and partially broke her fall."

It is the first time Nexus has seen a door forced open, and there was no risk that trains were unsafe, he added.

"We've had incidents of vandals kicking doors and damaging locks and in those cases the trains have been taken out of service.

"But in 27 years of operating the Metro, no door has ever been forced open. It's unprecedented."

:D:D:rolleyes:

:P

two things,

I can't wait for the CCtv footage to hit youtube and the like

How often did the phrase "no door has ever been forced open. It's unprecedented " really need to be printed?

two things,

How often did the phrase "no door has ever been forced open. It's unprecedented " really need to be printed?

You're not criticising the article for redundancy, are you?

two things,

who? me? :D

two things,

Because if you were it would be rather hypocritical.... :D

two things,

that post was a little redundant wasn't it

two things,

that post was a little redundant wasn't it

No.

Ok, ok, I should of edited it before I pasted it. My bad.

tbh

A few months back some woman fucking flew on to a metty on one of these menaces and nearly took my leg off, stotted right into the pole or she might have gone through as well. Think you've got to have a canny speed going to get over the bump, either that or you get stuck in the gap between the train and the platform, floor it to get out and as soon as you've cleared it ming into the train at full speed.

hmm, not really laughing at this one because my dad and step-mam nearly got killed in a similar incident at Monument about 5 years ago. Dad pressed "stop" on the electric wheelchair with my step-mam in, wheelchair didn't stop, both go smack onto the track. Luckily someone got on the buzzer thing and the Metro stopped in the tunnel...very lucky.