Kanye West, His 'rant' & Katrina

Happy Face

Is that true or rumours?

28497[/snapback]

A mate of mine has been working at Fox (yeah I know) over the summer...although this wasn't put out on the news, the only things they show are the stars and stripes being pulled out of the mud and other heroic propaganda.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really is reflecting badly on Bush. While 9/11 is possibly the best thing that could have happened for the Republicans from a PR point of view, this is possibly the worst.

Revenge and blowing stuff up are Bush's strengths. Sensible planning, helping the poor, using the armed forces for humanitarian aid, re-building and taking strong responsibility for things are not.

Edited by BlueStar

Someone should contact Houston and tell them to send some of the evacuees to Kanye's 'crib'. It has plenty of spare rooms, and I'm sure he'll put up a few of his 'brothers' for a few months while they get back on their feet.

28692[/snapback]

I'm sure he could front them all a few 'keys' to sell, to earn themselves a bit of cash in the meantime.

What you're suggesting is that if black people are the poorest in America, then it's their own fault, they should aspire to higher things.

No, I've already said its harder for a lot of black people and if you read my previous posts I have said it will take a few generations to get equality but yes they should aspire to higher things, I'm not saying they should all expect to become millionaires but everyone should aspire for better things. However the government isn't doing enough to help so I'm saying they need positive role models to show them what they can get if they work harder. A black person who has become a business or political success would be great to see (NOT Colin Powell, he is the whitest black man in America).

The reason black people are generally the poorest in America is the racist culture keeping black people firmly 'in their place'.  This is the reason for positive discrimination in the workplace which most white people are dead against.

I'm against positive discrimination, a job should be earned on merit. However for a white person from a decent background and a black guy from a disadvantaged background to achieve equality the black man will have to work a lot harder.

I've got lots of cousins who've listened to NWA, Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Eminem etc all their lives and all but one never touch drugs.  The one that does is black.  Now you can tell me it's him that chases that lifestyle, but I believe he's forced into it by a lack of opportunity or encouragement in any activity he chooses to pursue.

And what do these rappers talk about? Guns, women, money and drugs make up a fair percentage of their music. I listen to that sort of stuff but it doesn't have the same effect on me as it would someone growing up in a black hood in America, they can relate to that sort of thing as they've seen it. Their music glorifies the lifestyle which will lead to a lot of them either being killed or becoming druggies, as I have said all along it is the duty of rappers to act as positive role models, however that isn't considered street amongst a lot of them. Rap music doesn't cause a deprived lifestyle but it doesn't help either.

Someone should contact Houston and tell them to send some of the evacuees to Kanye's 'crib'. It has plenty of spare rooms, and I'm sure he'll put up a few of his 'brothers' for a few months while they get back on their feet.

28692[/snapback]

I'm sure he could front them all a few 'keys' to sell, to earn themselves a bit of cash in the meantime.

28695[/snapback]

Or he could just sell one of his chains and buy a family a home.

What you're suggesting is that if black people are the poorest in America, then it's their own fault, they should aspire to higher things.

No, I've already said its harder for a lot of black people and if you read my previous posts I have said it will take a few generations to get equality but yes they should aspire to higher things, I'm not saying they should all expect to become millionaires but everyone should aspire for better things. However the government isn't doing enough to help so I'm saying they need positive role models to show them what they can get if they work harder. A black person who has become a business or political success would be great to see (NOT Colin Powell, he is the whitest black man in America).

28697[/snapback]

I thought that was Condoleeza Rice?

One serious question for you, as you say poor people in underpriveleged areas face a tough struggle, if added to that any group of people is being hindered by the system, not considered for jobs, badly portrayed by the media should we not be concerned about it and do something about it?

did anyone watch the bbc news special on it last night at about 6pm? dont know if it was selective journalism but they interviewed only black people with an IQ under 17. Dot Bum saw part of the same interview with that woman screaming on about 'babies being raped and people with no legs are left behind to die!'

why again, after i had been following this hurricane on the news for a week before it hit, did these people not heed the warnings to evacuate the city? is the fact that there are only working class people left in new orleans down to the fact that everyone with more than 3 neurones understood that a grade 5 hurricane was deadly and you cant just hide under the table til its gone.

ps. im not saying that class has anything to do with intelligence before you start but you get what i mean. no one in that city can deny they knew it was coming it was in every paper, tv show and news report for a week before it hit!

Of course they should aspire to better themselves, but you made it sound like they all aspire to be dealers, pimps and hoes because Snoop Dogg glorifies it. That isn't the case, they do aspire to better things but end up as dealers, pimps or hoes as they are unable to beat the system.

I'm against positive discrimination, a job should be earned on merit. However for a white person from a decent background and a black guy from a disadvantaged background to achieve equality the black man will have to work a lot harder.

I'd go further and say it's probably also harder for black person with a good background to achieve as opposed to a white person from a disadvantaged background. Schooling is free to all Americans, but white people aren't generally refused jobs or entry to universities on the grounds of bigotry. That is why I'm for positive discrimination, if we put up with being discriminated against for a few decades (as blacks have for a few centuries) we can maybe speed up the whole process of bringing about equality and then there'll be no need for any kind of discrimination, even positive.

I've got lots of cousins who've listened to NWA, Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Eminem etc all their lives and all but one never touch drugs.  The one that does is black.  Now you can tell me it's him that chases that lifestyle, but I believe he's forced into it by a lack of opportunity or encouragement in any activity he chooses to pursue.

And what do these rappers talk about? Guns, women, money and drugs make up a fair percentage of their music. I listen to that sort of stuff but it doesn't have the same effect on me as it would someone growing up in a black hood in America, they can relate to that sort of thing as they've seen it. Their music glorifies the lifestyle which will lead to a lot of them either being killed or becoming druggies, as I have said all along it is the duty of rappers to act as positive role models, however that isn't considered street amongst a lot of them. Rap music doesn't cause a deprived lifestyle but it doesn't help either.

I'm not sure why you quoted me there. I was pointing out that black and white relatives of mine brought up in almost identical conditions have turned out quite differently, though they all listen to the same kind of music. It has nothing to do with music, a little to do with upbringing and a whole lot to do with skin colour. When you are routinely abused as you walk down the street, dumped by girls because they can't take a 'blackie' home to their dad, beaten to a pulp by morons, or get an axe through your skull, these disadvantages are not brought on by listening to Kanye, these things happen regardless of upbringing or intelligence and they can get to be too much and drugs can help you escape that kind of hurt.

Do you also believe Maralyn Manson is to blame for Collumbine?

did anyone watch the bbc news special on it last night at about 6pm? dont know if it was selective journalism but they interviewed only black people with an IQ under 17. Dot Bum saw part of the same interview with that woman screaming on about 'babies being raped and people with no legs are left behind to die!'

why again, after i had been following this hurricane on the news for a week before it hit, did these people not heed the warnings to evacuate the city? is the fact that there are only working class people left in new orleans down to the fact that everyone with more than 3 neurones understood that a grade 5 hurricane was deadly and you cant just hide under the table til its gone.

ps. im not saying that class has anything to do with intelligence before you start but you get what i mean. no one in that city can deny they knew it was coming it was in every paper, tv show and news report for a week before it hit!

28703[/snapback]

They are too poor to afford transport out of the area, not too stupid. Could you walk to London in a couple of days?

That's what this whole discussion springs from, the point that George Bush doesn't care about the poorest people in his society and left them to rot while anyone with money was able to get away.

The point that those poor people were mostly black was exacerbated by one media source pointing to blacks 'looting' but whites 'taking' groceries.

Edited by Happy Face

28703[/snapback]

They are too poor to afford transport out of the area, not too stupid. Could you walk to London in a couple of days?

That's what this whole discussion springs from, the point that George Bush doesn't care about the poorest people in his society and left them to rot while anyone with money was able to get away.

The point that those poor people were mostly black was exacerbated by one media source pointing to blacks 'looting' but whites 'taking' groceries.

28716[/snapback]

they arent to poor to buy drugs and cable though are they :blink:

One serious question for you, as you say poor people in underpriveleged areas face a tough struggle, if added to that any group of people is being hindered by the system, not considered for jobs, badly portrayed by the media should we not be concerned about it and do something about it?

28701[/snapback]

Indeed something should be done but what? I don't have the answer to that problem but I don't agree with blaming white people for it, yes the people who are to blame are white but the fact that Kanye has a pop at all white people is as racist as saying all black people are drug dealers or pimps.

Of course they should aspire to better themselves, but you made it sound like they all aspire to be dealers, pimps and hoes because Snoop Dogg glorifies it.  That isn't the case, they do aspire to better things but end up as dealers, pimps or hoes as they are unable to beat the system.

Well a lot of people aspire to be these things, because it brings money and power. Two things most people want but rappers make them think this is the only way they're going to get it. Rapping about working hard at school, staying out of trouble, going to college and getting a decent mid-level job working for the man doesn't sell quite so many records.

Rap is crap - Look, even I can do it!

Word to yo mama. Peace out

26439[/snapback]

agreed. It's just chanting - crap of the highest order.

28734[/snapback]

I hope you're not getting down on Gregorian chant now.

26439[/snapback]

28734[/snapback]

I hope you're not getting down on Gregorian chant now.

28736[/snapback]

you'll have to enlighten me on this one mate....I just turn the shite off

Well a lot of people aspire to be these things, because it brings money and power. Two things most people want but rappers make them think this is the only way they're going to get it. Rapping about working hard at school, staying out of trouble, going to college and getting a decent mid-level job working for the man doesn't sell quite so many records.

28731[/snapback]

So do you think there's a link between Maralyn Manson and Collumbine?

Personally I don't believe anyone makes important life decisions based on the lyrics of a song or the ethos of an artist. Unless Dave Gorman has started a new project.

you'll have to enlighten me on this one mate....I just turn the shite off

28737[/snapback]

Ho, ho.

Christian Monks from the middle ages onwards chanting unaccompanied.

The one I remembered from School was 'Veni Creator Spiritus' and hilariously enough I've discovered a Gregorian Chillout album. Have a listen to some of the samples on here if you like, just try not to rock too hard.

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/arti...2600337,00.html

28701[/snapback]

Indeed something should be done but what? I don't have the answer to that problem but I don't agree with blaming white people for it, yes the people who are to blame are white but the fact that Kanye has a pop at all white people is as racist as saying all black people are drug dealers or pimps.

28731[/snapback]

By informing people that there is a problem and speaking out against it.

I agree racism exists on all sides, makes it no less of a problem.

This made me laugh.

On this morning’s “Fox & Friends,” after showing a clip of Kanye West’s remarks from last night’s NBC relief special — which one Fox host described as a “tirade” — they continued:

JULIET HUDDY: A lot of folks are saying it was an inappropriate place to make those remarks, when you are asking people to help donate. It was not the time to do it regardless of whether or not you agree with his comments.

JULIAN PHILLIPS: I think you are right. It certainly wasn’t the time to do it. The focus was on trying to get money for people, but unfortunately, for better or worse, it underscores the, I guess, the animation that people have about this whole issue and race will probably be something that will be addressed down the line.

STEVE DOOCY: It understores the fact that NBC should have had a producer with a finger on the button and as soon as someone goes off the copy to go ahead and delete it.

Apparently criticism of President Bush should now be treated as an obscenity.

Source

AMERICA'S ILLS ARE NOT ALL BUSH'S FAULT by Tony Parsons

5 September 2005

THE dopey little smirk on the face of George Bush had never seemed more obscenely inappropriate.

Dead bodies were rotting in American cities. Citizens of the richest nation in the history of the world were dehydrated, desperate, on the brink of starvation.

They were overwhelmingly poor and black - like the young men who have fought America's wars for half a century.

And Bush stood in front of the cameras smirking, vomiting his cliches about better tomorrows while thousands of the kind of Americans you never see on TV or in the movies were left to watch their children raped, their loved ones starve, their old people left to die where they fell.

You can't blame George Bush for the fact that Mother Nature can be a cruel, heartless bitch.

What you can certainly blame him for, and what will haunt his presidency, is the fact that many thousands of Louisiana's National Guard watched their state descending into a waterlogged hell from their barracks in Iraq.

What you can blame Bush for is that his peanut-sized nodule did not immediately grasp the magnitude of the disaster.

What you can blame Bush for is not cancelling his guitar- strumming, fund-raising frolics the day after Katrina struck.

You can blame him for focusing on "terror" and running down Fema, the US government's disaster relief agency.

You can blame him for doing too little, too late, and for lacking both a head and a heart.

But some of the horror stories were not of Dubya's making.

There's a forgotten underclass in the USA - Americans who lacked the car that would have got them out of their doomed home town - and we have seen something of them in recent days.

Watching MTV, you would think that black Americans are the ones with the big houses, the gold chains and "bitches" galore. The reality is that there's a social apartheid in America, constructed on race and money. And the black urban poor existed long before Bush came along.

BUSH is guilty of neglecting America's forgotten people. But he didn't invent them.

They are there always, the other side of that great country, an American nightmare of unemployment, poverty, drugs, gangs, guns and absolutely nothing to lose.

We ask ourselves: could it happen here? In the face of a natural catastrophe, would we revert to anarchy as quickly as those poor Americans?

I doubt it. For a start, once Tony Blair got the troops back from Iraq it would be easier to restore order.

Because if the great floods ever hit our country, at least those who survive will not be running around with the contents of a looted gun shop.

26439[/snapback]

28734[/snapback]

Says the Scorpians fan :blink:

Edited by alex

Sean Penn was on GMTV this morning. He's in New Orleans and is going out on boats during the day to try and get to people who are stranded. He accused the Bush Administration of "criminal negligence" in their response to the problem, saying that of all the boats he saw in 9 hours out yesterday, only 3 were non-civilian, and that people were still there dying as a result of being stranded for so long.

Fair play to the bloke for actually getting down there and getting stuck in.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0905West-ON.html

NEW YORK - It was because Kanye West didn't swear that he was allowed to continue his outburst about President Bush during Friday's NBC telethon.

NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks says the person in charge of keeping the show clean was instructed to listen for a curse word and did not realize West had gone off the script.

Left to sink or swim

Tragic events in New Orleans have laid bare America's bigotry and exposed the lie of equal opportunity

Stuff happens," said the US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, when called to respond to the looting taking place in Baghdad after the American invasion. "But in terms of what's going on in that country, it is a fundamental misunderstanding to see those images over and over and over again of some boy walking out with a vase and say, 'Oh, my goodness, you didn't have a plan' ... It's untidy, and freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things. They're also free to live their lives and do wonderful things, and that's what's going to happen here."

While West's comments expressed a blatant truth for all with eyes to see, to some they were more outrageous than watching thousands of people dying live on television from neglect in the wealthiest country in the world. NBC made it clear he had stepped off the reservation. "Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks. It would be most unfortunate if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

Rest of the article: http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0905West-ON.html

Edited by BlueStar