Ashley could take Toon control without Freddy's support

Jimbo

Mike Ashley believes he will take control of Newcastle without needing to receive the backing of Freddy Shepherd. The sports shop magnate bought a near 42 per cent stake in the club from Sir John Hall on Wednesday for £55m.

Ashley has effectively offered Shepherd almost £38m to acquire his near 30 per cent stake in the club, but his advisors believe he will get the backing of enough shareholders to pass the 50 per cent ownership that will effectively signal the end of the Shepherd era anyway.

There are also suggestions he may have been buying small pockets of shares in the build up to his buy-out of the Hall family.

Shepherd, who spent Wednesday evening in hospital because of a lung infection brought on by a cracked rib, has vowed to fight Ashley in his bid for full control.

But with less than a 30 per cent holding in the club, that looks like a futile scrap for the 63-year-old.

If Ashley passes the 50 per cent mark, and he is so supremely confident of doing so he expects to do it within two months, he will take control and would then most likely sack Shepherd as chairman.

Shepherd could not have been given a much bigger vote of no confidence than that which the local Tyneside paper provided on Thursday night.

In an on-line poll, more than 96 per cent of Newcastle fans believe a takeover will be good for the club, ending Shepherd’s decade in charge at St James’ Park.

Two months seems like a long time to buy up just 8% of the shares.

Aye agreed. The offer letters are due out the back end of next week apparently, but he'll only need a couple of the financial institutions to sell up so surely it'll go through quicker than that. I just hope Shepherd sees sense, realises he's a beaten man, and gets out sharpish. This could all be done and dusted in a few weeks if he does.

Two months seems like a long time to buy up just 8% of the shares.

Aye agreed. The offer letters are due out the back end of next week apparently, but he'll only need a couple of the financial institutions to sell up so surely it'll go through quicker than that. I just hope Shepherd sees sense, realises he's a beaten man, and gets out sharpish. This could all be done and dusted in a few weeks if he does.

If the price is right he'll go

The way Freddy previously spoke about it being "impossible" to buy the club casts a weird cloud over the whole deal for me. By saying that, I assumed that Freddy had many other majority shareholders "in his pocket" so to speak, and that they would only sell to Freddy(which I reckon was his long term goal anyway), making a takeover very difficult. This could all have been trash talk by fatty though to try and dissuade potential investors.

I seriously doubt that ©Ashley* invested this much money without doing his homework first and is aware that a majority shareholding is possible, although maybe just awkward. Either way, I see papers reporting that it should be done by the start of the season, which could make bringing players in a bit messy (I'm not sure if there's a transfer kitty always made available from club profits).

*see what I did there?

Edited by Barney

The way Freddy previously spoke about it being "impossible" to buy the club casts a weird cloud over the whole deal for me. By saying that, I assumed that Freddy had many other majority shareholders "in his pocket" so to speak, and that they would only sell to Freddy(which I reckon was his long term goal anyway), making a takeover very difficult. This could all have been trash talk by fatty though to try and dissuade potential investors.

I seriously doubt that ©Ashley* invested this much money without doing his homework first and is aware that a majority shareholding is possible, although maybe just awkward. Either way, I see papers reporting that it should be done by the start of the season, which could make bringing players in a bit messy (I'm not sure if there's a transfer kitty always made available from club profits).

*see what I did there?

Any sort of institution or financial investor well sell to the highest bidder, they don't give a fuck about Ashley or Freddy, simply what money they can make.

*see what I did there?

Shepherd's "impossible" quote was refering to if him and the Hall's didn't sell, now the Hall's have sold makes his comment impotent.

*see what I did there?

Shepherd's "impossible" quote was refering to if him and the Hall's didn't sell, now the Hall's have sold makes his comment impotent.

I actually thought that he meant that even if the halls did sell, that Freddy and his mates had enough shares between them to stop any potential investor gaining majority ownership without Fatso's say-so?

*see what I did there?

I actually thought that he meant that even if the halls did sell, that Freddy and his mates had enough shares between them to stop any potential investor gaining majority ownership without Fatso's say-so?

Nah, I think the split of shares is pretty much:

Ashley - 41%

Shepherd - 29%

Fans - 8%

Financial Institutions - 22%

*see what I did there?

Ashley - 41%

Shepherd - 29%

Fans - 8%

Cheers for that. I'm sure there'll be lots of bullshit in the press from Tubso anyway over the next few months saying he'll refuse to leave etc. It'll be difficult to tell if he's being genuine or just trying to bump up the value. I can see it being drawn out anyway.

Ashley - 41%

Shepherd - 29%

Fans - 8%

And the 22% owned by the institutions will ditch their shares for the prices being bandied about by the papers, the fans will sell theirs if for no other reason than to see the back of Shepherd, giving Ashley 71%.

is that enough to force Shepherd to sell? I forget whether it's 70 or 75%. :D

Ashley - 41%

Shepherd - 29%

Fans - 8%

And the 22% owned by the institutions will ditch their shares for the prices being bandied about by the papers, the fans will sell theirs if for no other reason than to see the back of Shepherd, giving Ashley 71%.

is that enough to force Shepherd to sell? I forget whether it's 70 or 75%. :D

Just over 50% will be enough to ditch him as chairman. I beleive he will start to lose interest after that.

Surely once he has over 50% he can pretty much do whatever he wants with the clubs resources (i.e. give Sam a great big wedge to spend on players) and risk bringing the company's funds down to a level so as to make dividends impossible. The fat man would be sacked so he would lose his salary, divis and risk his share value dropping.

Or would there be some rules to prevent this?

Surely once he has over 50% he can pretty much do whatever he wants with the clubs resources (i.e. give Sam a great big wedge to spend on players) and risk bringing the company's funds down to a level so as to make dividends impossible. The fat man would be sacked so he would lose his salary, divis and risk his share value dropping.

He doesn't have to reduce profits to reduce the dividends, he can simply refuse to issue any dividends to anyof the shareholders.

We need this pushing through ASAP. When Abramovich bought Chelsea, it completed on 1st July and they had the whole summer to sort the team out.

Shepherd's got 4 weeks to sell up, then it's time to make the bastard sell :D

When freddie gets forced out whats the chances of him issueing a statement to say "Ive stepped aside and allowed Ashley to assume control'.

We need this pushing through ASAP. When Abramovich bought Chelsea, it completed on 1st July and they had the whole summer to sort the team out.

Shepherd's got 4 weeks to sell up, then it's time to make the bastard sell :D

How long before an N-O style petition gets created?

He doesn't have to reduce profits to reduce the dividends, he can simply refuse to issue any dividends to anyof the shareholders.

Of course, but I'm more thinking of him being able to allow Sam to spend big without taking complete control and investing his own money. Obviously the worry is the fat man digs his heels in and fucks up our summer. If Ashley can put him in a position where he either sells or risks losing a lot then fatty will have to make a quicker decision.

Of course, but I'm more thinking of him being able to allow Sam to spend big without taking complete control and investing his own money. Obviously the worry is the fat man digs his heels in and fucks up our summer. If Ashley can put him in a position where he either sells or risks losing a lot then fatty will have to make a quicker decision.

Well if he tries to dig his heels in then we go to Plan B. mrs_new_snipersmilie.gif

Well if he tries to dig his heels in then we go to Plan B. mrs_new_snipersmilie.gif

Do we not have a whaling harpoon smiley? :D