PC power problems

rikko

The basics of this is that my pc shuts itself down with no warning. I know its not a virus as I've reinstalled windows on it, and run it off a linux live disc and neither has solved the problem. Is there anything other then a dodgy PSU that could be causing it?

The basics of this is that my pc shuts itself down with no warning. I know its not a virus as I've reinstalled windows on it, and run it off a linux live disc and neither has solved the problem. Is there anything other then a dodgy PSU that could be causing it?

It could be many things.

have you added new ram? is it just since you reinstalled windows? have you tweaked the bios in any way?

does your pc post? does it boot to the os? at what point does it shut down?

It happened to mine, it kept on starting up and then cutting out, I just had to hoover the dust out.

That's what is probably causing it.

It runs normally for a period of time, typically about 45min, sometimes alot more, sometimes alot less. Always boots no problems does games no problems etc. Then just turns off, as if there was a power cut. It did it before i reinstalled windows, that was a reason i tried did it.

There was no reason as far as i could see for it to do it. No new components have been added since i bought it 2 years ago.

Try changing your power saving settings in Control Panel so nothing turns off, see if that makes a difference.