Scousers: Bitter or Realistic?

Tom_NUFC

Listening to and reading the comments of Liverpool fans over the last couple of days, it strikes me that they are very bitter.

Despite it being denied that there is a clause in Owen's contract which would allow him to leave next summer, many Liverpool fans still believe he is using NUFC to secure his World Cup place, and will return to Anfield following the World Cup.

I don't think that Michael Owen has anything to worry about in terms of his England place, as he has more than proved he is worthy of it. Eriksson has also said that Owen would always be involved, regardless of whether he was at Newcastle, Liverpool or opted to stay at Real Madrid.

I think that Liverpool fans believed that they were getting Owen. I think they assumed the deal would be done, one way or another, and now that it hasn't happened they are very angry and very bitter. They are also probably scared at the thought of him being at another Premiership club and scoring against them.

Shepherd has denied the get out clause exists, and reading some comments, some of them think Shepherd is bluffing and that there is really a clause. Personally, I don't see that. Freddy Shepherd has done some stupid things in his time, but if this was the case, it would rank as perhaps the most idiotic thing he's done, and despite everything, I don't think he would be stupid enough to do that. If that clause was there, I think he would have said so.

Those Liverpool fans who've kept their heads over this seem to accept that this is a genuine four year contract with Newcastle United, no get out clause.

Of course, if things didn't go well and a good offer was submitted, then he may move on. If things are going along OK, I don't think it would happen. Michael Owen has always come across as being a professional, straight-forward, honest person. Yes, of course he would have prefered a move to Liverpool. Given his previous links there and what they did last season compared to us, that is only natural, and I believe that most Newcastle supporters accept and understand that. But for whatever reasons, he didn't go to Liverpool. HE CHOSE TO LEAVE REAL MADRID AND COME TO NEWCASTLE. Maybe he wasn't first choice at Real, but he would have still been involved regularly and would get plenty goals for them, but he decided that a move to Newcastle would suit him more, because he wants to play as much as possible. He's a Newcastle player and he says he'll give 100% for us and score goals, and going on his character and his career so far, you can't argue with that. If things are going OK, he'll be here longer than a year.

There's a lot of Scousers eating their fill of sour grapes. They need to get over it and their attitude that Liverpool do not have a devine right to Owen.

Quite right, very good post. I'm not going to generalise this though, as many Liverpool fans I've seen be very peaceful and friendly about it. Some have actually said they're pleased Owen is here and this will be good for him.

What is pointless I find is that they are whining about him coming to Newcastle, saying he'd rather go to Liverpool - fair enough - but the fact is he COULDN'T, and WAS NOT GOING TO GO THERE. There was no way he'd go for that price and they just have to accept he is at a difference club, and that's a club he chose to go, as he was not forced to come here. And they find themselves being very annyoed at this, so they take it out on Newcastle United and its fans. It was Owen's decision, why not take it out on him instead?

Proffessional, straight-forward, honest person?

You forgetting the time he completely dicked Liverpool around for 18 months before he was offloaded to Real Madrid?

You forgetting the time he completely dicked Liverpool around for 18 months before he was offloaded to Real Madrid?

26532[/snapback]

Another reason why it may not have been sensible to return, I guess. Then again Gerrard is meant to fit in that category, and he had a similar transfer saga with Chelsea.

26532[/snapback]

You are Captain Contrary, aren't you? :lol:

Yeah, reduce the sig please.

I believe that there is something in the contract - or an 'understanding.'

Yes, Portly Freddie denied it but because he issued a written statement prior to the press conference I think there must be some kind of 'understanding' or implied term.

Why? Because he issued the written statement denying it, that's why. He issued the written statement in an attempt to negate any potential embarrassing questions on this subject. Notice how tetchy he got when the matter was raised? He quite cleverly deflected any further prying into the nuances of the contract by telling the reporters to read the statement.

Hope this lot makes sense? In simple terms, the written statement was a bluff.

Yes there's no written clause, but I would bet 40p (i'm not a betting man and that is a lot for me to bet) that there is an 'understanding.'

Portly Freddie is obviously a clever fellow, but not as clever as the snake!!!! :unsure:

Being a natural pessimist I still think there is a clause.

Be it C.L qualification, UEFA qualification or a loophole to walk away if a certain amount is offered for him I think a clause exists.

I'm encouraged when he says things like he might take over the No.9 when Al retires but talk is cheap.

Sorry to piss on everyones parade, I'm a wow at parties :unsure:

Being a natural pessimist I still think there is a clause.

Be it C.L qualification, UEFA qualification or a loophole to walk away if a certain amount is offered for him I think a clause exists.

I'm encouraged when he says things like he might take over the No.9 when Al retires but talk is cheap.

Sorry to piss on everyones parade, I'm a wow at parties :unsure:

26690[/snapback]

everyone has a price.

Owen may well leave after a year, but if he does I'm confident we'll get most of our money back at least.

When has a club ever agreed to a clause which says they will almost certainly lose 5 million quid in one year? 12M just sounds like a bitter rumour to be honest, is it any surprise it seems to have been started by a Liverpool journalist? There may be some sort of agreement, but there's no way we would agree to something that incredibly stupid.

Let's not forget that Owen didn't have a lot of choice in coming here, so we didn't have to agree to all his terms, we were in quite a good bargaining position considering Liverpool could never afford him anyway. In the end, he needed us nearly as much as we needed him. It was either us or the Madrid bench (if he's lucky), a straight choice, so he hardly had us by the balls at the negotiation table.

Sorry lads but looking at the way he, Freddie and him again answered the question of a release clause on 3 seperate occasions it keeps me remotely optimistic that he won't be at SJP for longer than 12 months. But who knows. He did piss us about for 18 months before leaving. Rafa is in control of this football club and hates the hype/circus surrounding players like Gerrard and Owen and wouldn't surprise me if he can't be arsed going through it again. And tbh, I think you'll have a good season and he won't want to leave anyway. Yes some of us are bitter. So what? If Shearer left 2 years ago to Real Madrid to "win trophies" and you lot went and won the fucking EUROPEAN CUP, he then is desperate to come home for whatever reason but ends up at a rival club there isn't one person who wouldn't be gutted. That's the nature of football and a football supporter. Michael will give 100% almost all the time but don't be surprised if the shoulders start to droop and he gets isolated upfront. Don't take anything he says as gospel. His main interest is Michael Owen and his family. The great thing about him is with all the media hype around him, he makes the public think they know a lot about him when infact we know fuck all.

It certainly surprised the lads I sit amongst at Anfield to find out his agent was talking to Real Madrid all the time he was saying positive things about a new contract.

Sorry lads but looking at the way he, Freddie and him again answered the question of a release clause on 3 seperate occasions it keeps me remotely optimistic that he won't be at SJP for longer than 12 months. But who knows.

26750[/snapback]

I think we're all well aware of the danger of that. But it's the fee of 12M which is frankly laughable. Have you ever heard of a businessman shaking hands on a guaranteed 5m quid loss?! It sounds like there could well be a release clause (or more likely 'agreement') but that figure seems ridiculous. Let's not forget that the reason Liverpool got shafted for only 8M was because he was entering the last year of his contract, where a players value will often more than halve as they risk losing him for nothing. We have him on a 4-year contract, so even if that is just a symbol, it will ensure we get a good price for him.

I'm not that worried. If he stays after next summer, great. If he doesn't, we'll probably get 15M+ for a world renowned striker with 3 years left on his contract (espescially if he has a good World Cup).

He might surprise us all and see out his contract. It all depends on how the team does, if we finish 4th I think he'd definitely stay (short of a ridiculous offer). If we finished 5th or 6th but won the FA Cup (for example), I think there'd be a good chance he'd stay. He's probably on bigger wages here than he would get anywhere else in the Premiership (bar Chelsea) and he wouldn't be idolised elsewhere like he would here. It's not going to be enough to change his mind, but those things could help tip the balance if he's in doubt. But if we're trophyless and mid-table again there is no question he will want out.

I don't blame the Liverpool fans for being bitter, I'd be the same if Shearer fucked us off in his prime for half of his value and then returned to play for a rival. But you can quite easily console yourselves with the Champions League trophy and knowing that we paid a bomb to bring him here while you got him for nothing.

What sort of reaction do you think Owen will get at Anfield? Mixed?

Edited by ohmelads

Hands up who would be bothered if Alan played us the way Owen supposedly did with Liverpool but we had just won the Champs League without him?

Yeah, I thought not.

The bitterness you get from the supporters of those who wear red always astounds me.

Spoiled children the lot of them.

Its the same when you hear them talk about Chelsea - you would have thought some bully just stole their lunch money.

Hands up who would be bothered if Alan played us the way Owen supposedly did with Liverpool but we had just won the Champs League without him?

Yeah, I thought not.

The bitterness you get from the supporters of those who wear red always astounds me.

Spoiled children the lot of them.

Its the same when you hear them talk about Chelsea - you would have thought some bully just stole their lunch money.

26826[/snapback]

Ah but its Liverpool's divine right to be European champions so its not as special as it would be for us.

I also like the way they've moved on from "He really wanted to sign for us" to "He'll sign next year for less" already.

Probably a bit mixed but mainly good. The whole ground got up and cheered when it was announced over that he had just scored his first goal for Real last season.

Ah but its Liverpool's divine right to be European champions so its not as special as it would be for us.

Just like Newcastle fans are the best and most deserving of a trophy in all of football eh :unsure:

Probably a bit mixed but mainly good. The whole ground got up and cheered when it was announced over that he had just scored his first goal for Real last season.

Just like Newcastle fans are the best and most deserving of a trophy in all of football eh :unsure:

27099[/snapback]

:o Of course! :D