Football Financial Analyst says NUFC doing a Leeds

Tom_NUFC

I can't quote what he said, but he was on SSN a little while ago, and he didn't have much of an argument thought. He was just saying along the lines of Newcastle have spent loads on Owen and if NUFC aren't making the Top 4 it would remind him of what happened at Leeds.

This bloke was a Scouser.

It goes against everything I've heard. There have been people in the media saying such things, but whenever I've heard this being discussed on the Radio (the last time was a few days ago on Radio 5) and they've had Football Finance experts on, the experts have said pretty much the same thing. That it isn't too much of a danger, as Newcastle's finances have been secured in entirely different, and much safer ways.

So, does this guy have a point, or is it another bitter Scouser?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are talking shite. I'd be amazed if any club will ever manage to do what Leeds did, it was remarkably bad management.

We've spent a bit, we're fine. It's not like we've spent £90m we didnt have. The Owen deal will be paid over time, just as the money from Jenas will be coming in.

Just another scouse being unnecessarily bitter.

Leeds were in the sh*t when it turned out they didn't actually own any of their highly paid players contracts and that they were in fact leasing them from some other agency.

We make a lot from season ticket sales (more than double leeds income). Plus we are making more globally. Plus I have heard we are making a few million from the "Goal" films. Plus the money put up by northern rock for the owen marketing. (heard someone say he isnt as marketable as Rooney. This is boll*cks due to Rooney being a foul mouthed granny shagging t*t.)

I have heard through a few people that Ridsdale toatlly didnt have a clue what he was doing.

I was told that Seth Johnson would be well happy with £12k a week, aparently Ridsdale walked in the room and said "£25k is my offer take it or leave it"

I dont think we will at all, Shep aint that bad

He's talking rubbish. Hard to believe that a supposed professional would go on TV and make himself look an idiot by talking shite. Maybe he's the only one Sky could find that would say this - hence providing them with something to pad their schedule out with now that the transfer window's shut. I'm sure the fact that he's a scouser is just coincidence.......

Well we've already had the story of Owen joining Newcastle and with the transfer window closed they need to fill the air with something.

This 'getting into Europe' business is just a poor generalisation for the layman. Obviously European games boost income (in the case of the CL massively so) but we've hardly been on the ragged edge over last season when we played in the UEFA to a half-empty ground. As long as turnover is solid, then we'll be fine. We don't have any super-high-interest loans like Leeds and Chelsea took out.

I was told that Seth Johnson would be well happy with £12k a week, aparently Ridsdale walked in the room and said "£25k is my offer take it or leave it"

26496[/snapback]

He still ended up on 35-40k aswell, didn't he? :lol:

Look, we're going to just have to deal with the fact that 99% of the media want this whole deal and situation to go tits up. We're far more entertaining when we get bad press, this is good press and it's confused the fuck out of them. Reading Anal Oliver is actually a bit of light relief for once.

26496[/snapback]

26511[/snapback]

I heard that after they sold fowler to the mancs part of the contract involved them paying a large percentage of his wages! :lol: Even we would struggle to do a Leeds. I think FF is far more sensble with his financial management and would never put the club at that kind of risk.

Then why was Freddie so adamant about putting the team throught the Intertoto cup, saying that this club must have European football, even when his manager didn't want to play in the competition, and didn't have the team to do so?

26577[/snapback]

I would have thought it was as much to do with the 'prestige' or being in europe and how attractive that makes Newcastle as a club. I dont think its because we couldnt afford not to be in there, but he is a business man!

26496[/snapback]

26511[/snapback]

Yes, and if the story is to believed, Seth and his agent walked out of Elland Road pissing themselves laughing :lol:

People want Newcastle to end up like Leeds eventhough we have little in common other than spending a great deal without winning trophies.

More of the same media shite.

I don't care if it was a scouser who said it - its more of the same "they're Northern therefore they're thick" rubbish. If Spurs had spent this kind of money do you think the media would be gleefully predicting them to end up like Leeds? No of course not. Did they ever say that about Chelsea - eventhough Ken Bates amassed zillions in debt?

"Don't believe the hype."

26496[/snapback]

He still ended up on 35-40k aswell, didn't he? :unsure:

26511[/snapback]

Yes, and if the story is to believed, Seth and his agent walked out of Elland Road pissing themselves laughing :o

26582[/snapback]

iirc Risdale offered him 30k. Seth Johnson was visibly flabbergasted that he'd get offered so much, Risdale interpreted this as Johnson thinking it wasn't enough so said "okay then 40k it is".

Whose opinion would you respect?

Non-entity who has probably made fuck-all from football?

Premiership chairman who has made millions from the game?

If he's such a whizz with the numbers, he'd figure this out:

Seasons 03/04, 04/05, and the current season

Sold

Cort £2 million

Lua Lua £2 million

Speed £1 million

Woodgate £14 million

Jenas £8 million

Hughes £1 million

O'Brien £2 million

Bellamy £5 million

£35 million

Bought

Boumsong £8 million

Emre £3 million

Parker £6 million

Faye £2 million

Babayaro £1 million

Butt £2 million

Milner £3.5 million

Luque £9.5 million

£35 million

Before we bought Owen, we'd spent nothing on transfers. We recouped every penny.

We've got Butt, Viana and Robert to shift in the summer, and Bowyer, Milner and Harper could go too. Shepherd will keep his powder dry next summer, and probably collect £10 million for all those. £6 million spent in 3 seasons, hey big spender!

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Marked difference to Leeds - Newcastle have significantly larger crowds, have more money coming in from shirts etc - more than anyone outside of everyone but Man U up til last year. Doubt if its changed much

So - spiteful petulant scouse twat. - not that we've seen many of those in the past 36 hours, eh ? :unsure:

Edited by Phil K

If you have the time to read this lengthy article on Leeds United you'll realise just how badly they were run and afterwards you'll laugh at the mere suggestion of us 'doing a Leeds'.

Took me ages to find this again, but I read it when it was published:

Part One http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...1164090,00.html

Part Two http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0...1164722,00.html

If you have the time to read this lengthy article on Leeds United you'll realise just how badly they were run and afterwards you'll laugh at the mere suggestion of us 'doing a Leeds'.

26689[/snapback]

Milner scored!? :unsure:

26689[/snapback]

Milner scored!? :unsure:

26703[/snapback]

:o

Basically the thrust of it is this bit:

"Securitisation deals had unlocked large tranches of new funds for several Premiership clubs, but Leeds had done two things differently. First, they had borrowed more than anyone else, and second, where others used most of this long-term cash for long-term investment, usually on new stadiums or stands*, Leeds had spent most of it on the squad."

* i.e. us.