Football Financial Analyst says NUFC doing a Leeds

Tom_NUFC

Whose opinion would you respect?

Non-entity who has probably made fuck-all from football? 

Premiership chairman who has made millions from the game?

If he's such a whizz with the numbers, he'd figure this out:

Seasons 03/04, 04/05, and the current season 

Sold

Cort £2 million

Lua Lua £2 million

Speed £1 million

Woodgate £14 million

Jenas £8 million

Hughes £1 million

O'Brien £2 million

Bellamy £5 million

Solano £1.5 million

Bernard £0.4 million

Ambrose £1 million

£37.9 million

Bought

Boumsong £8 million

Emre £3 million

Parker £6 million

Faye £2 million

Babayaro £1 million

Butt £2 million

Milner £3.5 million

Luque £9.5 million

£35 million

Before we bought Owen, we'd spent nothing on transfers. We recouped every penny.

We've got Butt, Viana and Robert to shift in the summer, and Bowyer, Milner and Harper could go too. Shepherd will keep his powder dry next summer, and probably collect £10 million for all those. £6 million spent in 3 seasons, hey big spender!

26677[/snapback]

You forgot a couple

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whose opinion would you respect?

Non-entity who has probably made fuck-all from football? 

Premiership chairman who has made millions from the game?

If he's such a whizz with the numbers, he'd figure this out:

Seasons 03/04, 04/05, and the current season 

Sold

Cort £2 million

Lua Lua £2 million

Speed £1 million

Woodgate £14 million

Jenas £8 million

Hughes £1 million

O'Brien £2 million

Bellamy £5 million

Solano £1.5 million

Bernard £0.4 million

Ambrose £1 million

£37.9 million

Bought

Boumsong £8 million

Emre £3 million

Parker £6 million

Faye £2 million

Babayaro £1 million

Butt £2 million

Milner £3.5 million

Luque £9.5 million

£35 million

Before we bought Owen, we'd spent nothing on transfers. We recouped every penny.

We've got Butt, Viana and Robert to shift in the summer, and Bowyer, Milner and Harper could go too. Shepherd will keep his powder dry next summer, and probably collect £10 million for all those. £6 million spent in 3 seasons, hey big spender!

26677[/snapback]

You forgot a couple

26713[/snapback]

Ambrose and Solano came/went for roughly the same value as the were bought/sold.

So I didn't include them as they were cancelled out. I didn't realise we got a fee for Bernard though.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Cort £2 million

Lua Lua £2 million

Speed £1 million

Woodgate £14 million

Jenas £8 million

Hughes £1 million

O'Brien £2 million

Bellamy £5 million

Solano £1.5 million

Bernard £0.4 million

Ambrose £1 million

£37.9 million

Bought

Boumsong £8 million

Emre £3 million

Parker £6 million

Faye £2 million

Babayaro £1 million

Butt £2 million

Milner £3.5 million

Luque £9.5 million

£35 million

26677[/snapback]

You forgot a couple

26713[/snapback]

Ambrose and Solano came/went for roughly the same value as the were bought/sold.

So I didn't include them as they were cancelled out. I didn't realise we got a fee for Bernard though.

26717[/snapback]

Yeah we got money off Southampton states that in .com also. Fair point though with Ambrose and Solano.

The board is really clever with it's binge/purge tactic in the transfer market. People only remember the signings.

People think of the money Keegan spent, but we recouped all the money we spent on Ferdinand, Asprilla, Ginola, Kitson, and Sellars.

We made a profit when we sold Gillespie, Batty, Beresford, Hottiger, Venison, Fox, Huckerby and Mathie.

We made £12 million from Howey, Clark, Watson and Elliott.

Dalglish didn't do too badly either. Big flops Tomasson, Guivarch and Anderson were sold for roughly the same price as they were signed. We actually made a profit on Ketsbaia! We made £5 million from Hammann.

If you have the time to read this lengthy article on Leeds United you'll realise just how badly they were run and afterwards you'll laugh at the mere suggestion of us 'doing a Leeds'.

Took me ages to find this again, but I read it when it was published:

Part One http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...1164090,00.html

Part Two http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0...1164722,00.html

26689[/snapback]

Brilliant! Eventhough it scares me a bit, since Newcastle is mentioned it the article and you never know, Freddy might do it again.

But thanks for giving the link, best thing I've read this week.

As I understand it, and as others have said, our loan was to rebuild the two stands to increase our stadium to 52,000 so the added revenue from this goes back to paying that off and then future profit. Therefore, our investment was in bricks and mortar, and not players as in Leeds' conditional upon future success.

We've also budgeted to miss out on Europe and go out of the cups at the first hurdles, so that anything above this is a bonus. These past two years we've missed out on the Champions League our profits went down, but we still made a profit.

Ultimatly I also think Shepherd is a good businessman and he knows how to balance the books. I think he's too tight to get us in serious debt and hamper his investment which NUFC is to him.

The mackems on RTG were getting excitied at this blokes bullshit as you can imagine!

One came out with the view that NUFC going bankrupt would be better than SAFC winning the CL...Jesus wept!

26774[/snapback]

It's quite literally their only hope now to bridge the gap that's openend up between the two clubs since the early 90s. It's no wonder they cling onto it like they do.

The mackems on RTG were getting excitied at this blokes bullshit as you can imagine!

One came out with the view that NUFC going bankrupt would be better than SAFC winning the CL...Jesus wept!

26774[/snapback]

It's quite literally their only hope now to bridge the gap that's openend up between the two clubs since the early 90s. It's no wonder they cling onto it like they do.

26792[/snapback]

And to be fair they do stick with it like nobody's business, for years now they've been saying its about to happen!

For all the problems people may have with freddie he isn't about to do a Ridsdale, or a Bates at Chelsea before Abramovich bailed him out.

Also, we're consistently amongst the clubs with the lowest wages/turnover ratio which shows Shepherd has that area under control.

26791[/snapback]

But you've got to go with me, that's a scary story, right? Fook, what people can do with proper and nice footballclubs. (Never liked Leeds, though, but I feel sorry for them now :unsure: ).

26774[/snapback]

26792[/snapback]

And to be fair they do stick with it like nobody's business, for years now they've been saying its about to happen!

For all the problems people may have with freddie he isn't about to do a Ridsdale, or a Bates at Chelsea before Abramovich bailed him out.

26797[/snapback]

Freddie's helped by a couple of things - he's a good businessman, but more importantly by the fact that he knows he has guaranteed gates and guaranteed season ticket sales (because of us idiots!). Most other clubs don't have that luxury and so spending big like we have leaves them susceptible to financial problems in a way that it doesn't really for us.

Freddie's helped by a couple of things - he's a good businessman, but more importantly by the fact that he knows he has guaranteed gates and guaranteed season ticket sales (because of us idiots!). Most other clubs don't have that luxury and so spending big like we have leaves them susceptible to financial problems in a way that it doesn't really for us.

Definitley, the season tickets sales are something most but the very top clubs can ever dream off and it never changes.

One of the mackems biggest problems was thinking they were filling (or near to filling) the ground but doing it on the cheap and with freebie tickets, so they never had the money we do.

Also, we're consistently amongst the clubs with the lowest wages/turnover ratio which shows Shepherd has that area under control.

26791[/snapback]

But you've got to go with me, that's a scary story, right? Fook, what people can do with proper and nice footballclubs. (Never liked Leeds, though, but I feel sorry for them now :unsure: ).

26800[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry, it's because of what happened to Leeds that leads me to believe no other club would be so reckless now.

Edited by nufc4ever

Since the 2002-03 period we have maybe balanced the books better, but going into that period ie from the Keegan era, Dalglish, Gullit and the Bobby Robson years including especially the buys of Bellamy, Robert, Cort, Robert, Jenas, Woodgate, bramble and Viana, we were significantly down. So it needed re-dressing and more good housekeeping.

Thing is, though, Shepherd is running the club well, at a far higher level than all of his predecessors before him, before 1992, and most other premiership clubs as a few of us, including me have been at pains trying to point out for a while now ........

There are many things that have pissed me off about Newcastle over the years, even in the last decade, but financial backing for managers and the level of player the club have competed for since 1992 is not one of those by a long way.

26791[/snapback]

26800[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry, it's because of what happened to Leeds that leads me to believe no other club would be so reckless now.

26807[/snapback]

Have you ever heard of the Dutch Tulip mania (it's a genuine one, happened in the 17th century), the South Sea Bubble, the Wall street crash, the 1987 crash, the dotcom bubble?

These crises happened after each other and the Leeds thing can be put right at the end. People don't learn from these things, when success is in sight they tend to forget everything.

Real sane people lost everything in the dotcom bubble, or in the Tulip mania for that matter.

It's like when your first bet would be a giant hit. Like a lad puts a fiver on Sunderland winning the League cup and they are probably rated 1.000.000 against 1. What nobody thought would ever happen (and I hope it never does), was that Hell was going to freeze over that year, and the whole world was going to be turned upside down and at the end of these catastrophes the biggest one was yet to come, all football players in England got a major weird football virus (it never reaches the Mackems, since no one ever goes there) next to that - due to the transfer window rules - no club is allowed to play other players then they had, so the grounds men and chairmen get out on the pitch to play for their teams and the Mackems (just) became League cup winner (even the grounds men and chairmen managed to keep them off the proper prices). The lad became a bloody millionaire.

What will he do with is 5 mil, he'll go betting again, I reckon. He'll be predicting Blunderland to win the Uefa Cup, be champions and win the FA cup. We all know that will never happen, and this lad will probably be the only one in the world making these bets (perhaps some Germans will place the same, but never mind them). We all know they'll probably go down with less then 17 points and of course they will.

The lad loses some money and he'll go on making idiotic bets, in the end he'll lend money (and everybody will lend him, since this is the only chap in the world that predicted the Mackems winning the League cup). Nobody notices the suicidal look in his eyes, everybody is just bamboozled with him predicting. But in the end he kills himself, with a debt (he hardly couldn't do anything right but he did know how to fraud) of billions all spend on bets that never paid off.

Ok, I've got carried away there, but I hope you get my point. I truly think it will happen again, although I agree with you that it's probably not with NUFC under Freddy's rule.

26791[/snapback]

26800[/snapback]

26807[/snapback]

Have you ever heard of the Dutch Tulip mania (it's a genuine one, happened in the 17th century), the South Sea Bubble, the Wall street crash, the 1987 crash, the dotcom bubble?

These crises happened after each other and the Leeds thing can be put right at the end. People don't learn from these things, when success is in sight they tend to forget everything.

Real sane people lost everything in the dotcom bubble, or in the Tulip mania for that matter.

It's like when your first bet would be a giant hit. Like a lad puts a fiver on Sunderland winning the League cup and they are probably rated 1.000.000 against 1. What nobody thought would ever happen (and I hope it never does), was that Hell was going to freeze over that year, and the whole world was going to be turned upside down and at the end of these catastrophes the biggest one was yet to come, all football players in England got a major weird football virus (it never reaches the Mackems, since no one ever goes there) next to that - due to the transfer window rules - no club is allowed to play other players then they had, so the grounds men and chairmen get out on the pitch to play for their teams and the Mackems (just) became League cup winner (even the grounds men and chairmen managed to keep them off the proper prices). The lad became a bloody millionaire.

What will he do with is 5 mil, he'll go betting again, I reckon. He'll be predicting Blunderland to win the Uefa Cup, be champions and win the FA cup. We all know that will never happen, and this lad will probably be the only one in the world making these bets (perhaps some Germans will place the same, but never mind them). We all know they'll probably go down with less then 17 points and of course they will.

The lad loses some money and he'll go on making idiotic bets, in the end he'll lend money (and everybody will lend him, since this is the only chap in the world that predicted the Mackems winning the League cup). Nobody notices the suicidal look in his eyes, everybody is just bamboozled with him predicting. But in the end he kills himself, with a debt (he hardly couldn't do anything right but he did know how to fraud) of billions all spend on bets that never paid off.

Ok, I've got carried away there, but I hope you get my point. I truly think it will happen again, although I agree with you that it's probably not with NUFC under Freddy's rule.

26831[/snapback]

nice article cyberbats. Pleased to see your crusade against Shepherd is gathering pace in the week he has bankrolled his manager to the thick end of 30m quid.

BTW, what exactly has Shepherd done to you? Did he turn you down for sex ?

Has he run off with your missues ?

We will be successful the day we bring a manager who knows what he is doing, FULL STOP

I have heard through a few people that Ridsdale toatlly didnt have a clue what he was doing.

I was told that Seth Johnson would be well happy with £12k a week, aparently Ridsdale walked in the room and said "£25k is my offer take it or leave it"

I dont think we will at all, Shep aint that bad

26496[/snapback]

A mate of mine met johnstone and his agent after they got back from Leeds - he was on 12k and his agent told him he thought he might get him £15 at Leeds - they walked in and Ridsdale shouted "sit down and shut up" and went on & on about how he knew they'd come to talk him up to some ridiculous amount and he, Ridsdale, wasn't having any of it - "and I won't go a penny over £ 25!"

Seth and his agent sat staring at him open mouthed in shock and Ridsdale sort of argued with himself and finished around £ 31 k

They spent the night in one of the "convertaed banks" in the Lace Market buying drinks for EVERYONE.....................

26791[/snapback]

26800[/snapback]

26807[/snapback]

26831[/snapback]

dont you mean borrow?? bloody kids these days eh

The board is really clever with it's binge/purge tactic in the transfer market. People only remember the signings.

People think of the money Keegan spent, but we recouped all the money we spent on Ferdinand, Asprilla, Ginola, Kitson, and Sellars.

We made a profit when we sold Gillespie, Batty, Beresford, Hottiger, Venison, Fox, Huckerby and Mathie.

We made £12 million from Howey, Clark, Watson and Elliott.

Dalglish didn't do too badly either. Big flops Tomasson, Guivarch and Anderson were sold for roughly the same price as they were signed. We actually made a profit on Ketsbaia! We made £5 million from Hammann.

26772[/snapback]

We made a tidy profit on Andy Cole too.

26791[/snapback]

26800[/snapback]

26807[/snapback]

26831[/snapback]

dont you mean borrow?? bloody kids these days eh

27042[/snapback]

:o Sorry, I'm Dutch and here borrowing as well as lending is 'lenen' and 'he borrows' is translated as 'hij leent'.

" Sorry, I'm Dutch and here borrowing as well as lending is 'lenen' and 'he borrows' is translated as 'hij leent'."

interesting example of us keeping the words but changing the menaing -

lots of examples between US English and British English that mean exactly the opposite

pavement , teat, pants, knock off, knockup, slate...........................

lots of examples between US English and British English that mean exactly the opposite

pavement , teat, pants, knock off, knockup, slate...........................

27571[/snapback]

Fanny :unsure: