The Fulham Game

BooBoo

Simply cant wait for this game. I think the atmosphere will be red hot for once. I just encourage everyone to get in by at least 2.45pm. Im usually still draining a pint by 2.50 but will be making sure im in my seat early for this one. Gonna be great to see people ACTUALLY LOOKING FORWARD to going to the match again.

Simply cant wait for this game. I think the atmosphere will be red hot for once. I just encourage everyone to get in by at least 2.45pm. Im usually still draining a pint by 2.50 but will be making sure im in my seat early for this one. Gonna be great to see people ACTUALLY LOOKING FORWARD to going to the match again.

26709[/snapback]

This could very easily be the last game Souness is in charge for. If Fulham come and spoil the party then there's nowhere for Souness to go - lose this/fail to score and he's gone.

Sadly Souness has the talent at his disposal but is not physically or mentally capable of using that talent effectively. Being able to shout your players down is not what this bunch need or want.

Sorry, but the chance of defeat is still very real

Who is going to play on the right side?

Nobby suspended, Milner on loan, Dyer crocked. What's the latest on Dyer's injury, any chance of him making the Fulham game?

Emre is also injured, so will we see Bowyer out of position on the right and Faye and Parker in the centre?

Edited by ohmelads

Nobby suspended, Milner on loan, Dyer crocked. What's the latest on Dyer's injury, any chance of him making the Fulham game?

Emre is also injured, so will we see Bowyer out of position on the right and Faye and Parker in the centre?

26726[/snapback]

If Faye plays we'll get beat.

26726[/snapback]

If Faye plays we'll get beat.

26733[/snapback]

Unless all the other midfilders are injured and Faye plays i have serious questions over our management!

However i think with the Owen effect lifting the team, corwd and atmosphere i think we'll win regardless of who plays.

It's quite plausible we could see this:

-----------Shearer---Owen-----------

Luque-----Parker----Faye---Bowyer

That's not that strong to be honest, like all great players Owen is capable of being anonymous as is Luque, and like any striker he will need service. Bowyer is a useless right winger and Faye is seriously lacking in confidence. Luque, Parker and Owen are class acts and we will need them on top of their game. Parker has been an excellent signing, he looks very reliable but he is certainly playing a more defensive role and he and Faye might not work together.

If Dyer is back that would be great news, but he probably needs a longer break otherwise he'll just pull his hamstring again. Same goes for Emre.

Edited by ohmelads

If we have Dyer back I'll feel a lot more confident, as he and Luque will give us a threat from both flanks and it seems like a long time since we had that.

Surely Souness has to return to 4-4-2 for this game? Owen can't play as the lone striker and I wouldn't waste such an expensive player in an unfamiliar role. If we're going to play the team around anyone it should be Owen. If we play Shearer and Owen up top with Luque and Dyer bombing down the flanks we should have enough going forward to really cause Fulham problems.

The atmosphere and buildup to the game should be fantastic. Owen's debut in a toon shirt and we've hardly seen Luque either, who is another top class player.

We've got (on paper) a fairly comfortable run of games for the next two months. Let's run riot!

Edited by ohmelads

This will be a good test for us to see how far we have come.

Despite what many may think we are on par with Fulham in our style and ability.

This is a team that relies on two hard working strikers that are both past their sell by date - but they occassionally get scrappy goals through a very physical style of play.

They also have a hard working midfield that seems to have some ability to break play up a bit but is often unable to pass the ball beyond five yards (sound familiar).

And Carlos Bocanegro makes up for his lack of skill and pace by cheating (I am looking at you Stevie Carr).

The biggest difference for us will be Owen and Scotty Parker who are better than what they have.

Now lets see if Souness can make this work. I am afraid he is going to try to just physically intimidate them and beat them into submission, which will be a mistake. Everton tried this and they are the kings of this old skool type of play but they still lost 1-0. The other funny thing about Everton getting beat by them is the fact that Fulham lined up with Radzinski and McBride - you would have thought that Everton's defenders would know how to play against these two.

BTW this game will be televised in North America with a 4 hour delay.

Counting the hours...

we need to stop changing play to "combat" the opposition and concentrate on our game. (ala Keegan days) If we get the ball on the ground and get some movement we should be OK. There was nowt more frustrating than seeing Boum at the ManUre game imploring players to give him options as they stood like statues.

I can't wait.

After Bolton away my brother said he was looking forward to missing the Fulham game, as he's away to New York for a week. He's a bit gutted now though.

26824[/snapback]

Thats how it had become, i haven't enjoyed or wanted to go to the match particularly for a long time now.

But now with the players signed and the fact that Owen will just give everyone and everything such a lift i actually want to go to the match. I expect some good football, some goals (for us!) and a better atmosphere than we could have expected normally against Fulham with us second bottom and goaless!

Aye, I admit myself, going to the games have seemed like a chore for quite a while now, although when it's the summer you miss it.

But, I'm well up for this now. I just hope we come through the internationals OK.

As someone said the other day, it would be just our luck if Owen went and broke his leg or something against Northern Ireland.

I don't get to see too many games, but I couldn't have chosen a better match, I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope Nobby will come out onto the pitch before the game so that he can get a good reception. We will be down to the bare bones as far as the midfield is concerned - according to today's Chronicle, Bowyer isn't guaranteed to be fit either. In any case, I'd probably have Clarke in the team ahead of Faye...

Edited by Bombadil

I don't get to see too many games, but I couldn't have chosen a better match, I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope Nobby will come out onto the pitch before the game so that he can get a good reception. We will be down to the bare bones as far as the midfield is concerned - according to today's Chronicle, Bowyer isn't guaranteed to be fit either. In any case, I'd probably have Clarke in the team ahead of Faye...

27155[/snapback]

If Faye ever gets picked ahead of Clark its a disgrace. People forget Clark had a really good season lat year in the prem as Fulham's captain, he's far from finished and can do a good job for us. And he has to be picked ahead of Faye by anybody who has any concept of football at all.

it's typical that we sign three players that can transform our starting eleven when half the side is out injured.

with milner, jenas, viana, ambrose etc gone and bowyer, dyer and emre all injured we're going to have to put a midfield together out of faye, parker, n'zogbia, luque and clarke. fuck knows who'll play right wing...