Weird internet goings on

Ketsbaia

Over the past few days my internets been acting up. First of all, it's been redirecting me to random websites when I click on certain links via what likes some crude search engine (www-search.com, www.searchforinsurance.org.uk etc.). It's also decided to stop me from getting on here when using Firefox and I get some dodgy 'Page cannot be displayed' message which certainly isn't the standard Firefox one (It says Internet Explorer, which is a bit of a giveaway).

I don't know whether it's related either but i've been getting error messages whenever I use WMP and go into certain folders in My Documents which is highly annoying. :lol:

My first though was Spyware so i've did a few system scans with everything I can lay my hands on but nothings been picked up. I've used HijackThis! but I dunno what i'm looking for so that's not much help.

Any ideas?

Close all internet browsers down and open Task manager, make sure its sorted on CPU usage then open Firefox and watch the programs that appear, anything that appears in the list when you open Firefox check on google to see what it is, chances are you should find some dodgy program open itself.

From there you can suss how to get rid.

Tried everything and it wasn't having anything so I formatted the fucker. Now i've got two problems. First of all, the only screen resolution size I can chose is 640x480 and when I try to reinstall my broadband it says that I haven't got a network adapter meaning I have to run the internet via a USB cable and not an ethernet cable.

Any idea how to remedy these problems?

Tried everything and it wasn't having anything so I formatted the fucker. Now i've got two problems. First of all, the only screen resolution size I can chose is 640x480 and when I try to reinstall my broadband it says that I haven't got a network adapter meaning I have to run the internet via a USB cable and not an ethernet cable.

Where in the answers above did anyone say "format the fucker" ????

You daft twat! :lol:

In both cases (definitely the resolution anyway) you need to reinstall the drivers, video card drivers for the resolution and your network card drivers should sort the broadband problem.

Wot he said.

Go to your 'My Computer' icon, right mouse click, properties, Hardware tab -> Device manager. Look for the yellow exclamation marks and that'll be the drivers you need to install. If you have a Dell you can access their website and get everything you need for your machine. Some other brands are good like that as well. PC World specials however are rarely that easy.

Wot he said.

Go to your 'My Computer' icon, right mouse click, properties, Hardware tab -> Device manager. Look for the yellow exclamation marks and that'll be the drivers you need to install. If you have a Dell you can access their website and get everything you need for your machine. Some other brands are good like that as well. PC World specials however are rarely that easy.

Yep, the benefit of a buying a Dell is you throw in the Service Tag on their website and it gives you all the standard drivers for your specification.

I'm with the last two though, re-format should be the very, very last resort.

Where in the answers above did anyone say "format the fucker" ????

You daft twat! :lol:

In both cases (definitely the resolution anyway) you need to reinstall the drivers, video card drivers for the resolution and your network card drivers should sort the broadband problem.

Pud,

I really thought we'd got hrough to the great unwashed about 18 months ago when we tried to tell them that reformatting as the automatic and instant response was both idiotic and dangerous..................