Sibierski signs for Wigan

Paul

'LE SIB' IS A LATIC!

Wigan Athletic manager Chris Hutchings has completed his second signing of the day.

Following hot on the heels of the Titus Bramble signing, Wigan Athletic have confirmed that they have also signed Bramble's former Newcastle United team mate, Antoine Sibierski. Local rivals Bolton Wanderers were keen to add the vastly experienced Frenchman to their squad, but Sibierski was delighted to sign a two-year contract at Latics, rather than even enter into talks with Sammy Lee.

Speaking of his arrival in Wigan 'Le Sib' said, "I am delighted to have my future sorted. The manager impressed me hugely and this is clearly a very ambitious club."

Antoine has seen service with Lille, with whom he started his career, and then he progressed to Auxerre, Nantes and Lens before signing for Manchester City in 2003 in preference to Tottenham Hotspur. It was from the Eastlands outfit that he signed for the Magpies just a couple of hours prior to the August 2006 transfer window closing.

He had made 14+12 Premiership appearances and scored three times whilst based at St James' Park. He also played against Latics last season when he was on the losing side following a 1-0 victory for the JJB Stadium's Premier sports team.

Wigan Athletic beat off Premiership rivals to land Antoine Sibierski

Wigan Athletic are delighted to announce the signing of versatile French forward Antoine Sibierski on a free transfer from Newcastle United; the club's second signing of the day.

Sibierski was in Wigan today (Monday) to put pen to paper on a two year deal at the JJB Stadium before jetting off on holiday. He will return with the rest of the squad to begin pre-season training later this month.

Upon signing for the club, he immediately said: "I am delighted to have my future sorted. The manager impressed me hugely and this is clearly a very ambitious club. I can't wait to get started."

Latics beat off stiff competition from other Barclays Premiership clubs to land the highly experienced 32 year-old, who has played 118 times in the Barclays Premiership for Newcastle United, where he was a big hit the Geordie fans.

He previously spent three seasons at Manchester City, and has also played at Champions League and UEFA Cup level in France for Lens and Nantes.

Sibierski spent the rest of his career in the French First Division for Auxerre, Nantes and his home town club of Lille, making almost 300 appearances.

Chris Hutchings said: "Antoine is a player I have admired a lot ever since he came to England. He is strong and committed and will give everything to the cause. He is a player who can fill a number of different positions, in midfield or as a striker and I'm delighted to be able to add him to the squad."

Sibierski scored at the JJB Stadium in 2005-2006 season for Manchester City and also appeared for Newcastle at the JJB Stadium in March.

Glad he got the 2 year contract he was looking for. I can understand why he wouldn't want to up-root his family based on a one year, changing kids schools is not always a good idea on a short-term basis.

He did an 'alright' job for us at a time when we needed someone to give it his best shot, he has my thanks for his efforts and I wish him good luck at Wigan.

he played well last season scored some ok goals against to be honest poor opposition in the intertoto, i think he had a good season though but viduka is better

Just seen his interview at the JJB and he seems pretty gutted to have had to leave, and that he wasn't offered the contract he thought he deserved.

Oh well.

Just seen his interview at the JJB and he seems pretty gutted to have had to leave, and that he wasn't offered the contract he thought he deserved.

Oh well.

he was offered a year, he obviously doesnt think he is good enough for longer else he would of taken that and proved he could get another one next year

liked the bloke, he seemed honest and didn't have that ego that ruins a lot of players. Was aware of his limitations and didn't expect to be top of anyones wish list. But he worked hard and played ok for us. Ultimately not good enough and we seem to have signed a better striker already so I'm content with that.

He says that he loves the newcastle fans and will always be a Newcastle Fan now, it's just the "lack of consideration" shown by Shepherd that accellerated his departure.

like I say, nice bloke, average player and already been replaced by better.

It's a shame we couldn't keep his personality and graft it into Viduka

liked the bloke, he seemed honest and didn't have that ego that ruins a lot of players. Was aware of his limitations and didn't expect to be top of anyones wish list. But he worked hard and played ok for us. Ultimately not good enough and we seem to have signed a better striker already so I'm content with that.

He says that he loves the newcastle fans and will always be a Newcastle Fan now, it's just the "lack of consideration" shown by Shepherd that accellerated his departure.

like I say, nice bloke, average player and already been replaced by better.

It's a shame we couldn't keep his personality and graft it into Viduka

fair assesment of the player really

Agreed, he came across as a decent fella and gave his best, and I'm sure he'll get a good reception whenever he's back at SJP. Quite what Bramble will get is another matter...

Guest alex

Agreed, he came across as a decent fella and gave his best, and I'm sure he'll get a good reception whenever he's back at SJP. Quite what Bramble will get is another matter...

The theme from 'Barnum' would be my guess.