Magpies close on Rozehnal

Scottish Mag

Czech Republic defender David Rozehnal is keen for a move to Newcastle United, according to his representatives.

The 26-year-old's club Paris St Germain have yet to hold direct talks with the Magpies, having already rejected a £2.7m bid from Borussia Dortmund.

"David would love to play for Newcastle," Sport Invest spokesman Eliot Vantil told BBC Sport.

"He knows manager Sam Allardyce was also a centre-back and believes he can learn from him."

He added: "Allardyce was keen to sign David back in January for Bolton and I know he came to watch him play against Wales.

"David has played for one great club, PSG, but would love to come to the Premiership and play for another.

"PSG are holding out for the right offer for their player."

Rozehnal, who joined the French side from Club Brugge in 2005, played for the Czech Republic at Euro 2004 and at the 2006 World Cup.

He was PSG's player of the year last season and was selected in the French league's team of the year.

Edited by Scottish Mag

could be the next nemanja vidic.

that said, he could equally be the next marcelino.

unknown quantity-tastic. anyone who's seen much of him care to comment?

the fact that I've heard of him in a positive way bodes well for him but I can't comment on his suitableness for the english game

Guest Patrokles

last decent czech centreback in the premiership was?

Last decent Israeli before Ben Haim? Last decent Serbian before Vidic?

Strikers and midfielders- Last decent Ivorian before Drogba? Columbian before Asprilla? Ghanian before Essien? Peruvian before Solano? Bulgarian before Berbatov? etc.

Strikers and midfielders- Last decent Ivorian before Drogba? Columbian before Asprilla? Ghanian before Essien? Peruvian before Solano? Bulgarian before Berbatov? etc.

Think you'll find he was the first peruvian to play in England. :lol:

Newcastle United look to be closing in on the capture of Paris Saint Germain defender David Rozehnal.

The Czech Republic stopper was a target of Borussia Dortmund, but as skysports.com first revealed last week - Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce stepped in with a bid for a player who he first admired during his time with Bolton.

Now Newcastle appear to be in the driving seat and the player's representatives feel a quick deal can be done, once the two clubs have agreed terms.

Pavel Zika revealed, one of Rozehnal's agents, that Newcastle had now made an approach to PSG.

"David's move is not clear yet, but the clubs have contacted each other," Zika told MF Dnes.

"If they reach an agreement, I am convinced that we will agree to for the player.

"In my opinion, everything is a matter of if just hours or days."

Newcastle are very hot in the transfer market at the moment, with deals for Joey Barton, Mark Viduka and Tal Ben Haim all looking likely to be completed this week.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...ose+on+Rozehnal

nicked from NO

Guest alex

Think you'll find he was the first peruvian to play in England. :lol:

That proves his point :lol:

Would be a great start to the transfer window.

yes it would, two defenders a midfielder and a striker is not a bad start

And for a combined total close to which we received for Scott Parker.

yes exactly. i like the idea of strengthing the back line though and barton is also a good tackler as well which is always a help.

At the moment things are going so well, it feels untrue. We got a decent manager who (despite being on holiday) immediately started working on the future, we are already really working on our targets and it looks like we could for the first time have assembled the core of the squad ahead of pre-season training. And we get a new owner.

I hope I don't wake up too soon.

At the moment things are going so well, it feels untrue. We got a decent manager who (despite being on holiday) immediately started working on the future, we are already really working on our targets and it looks like we could for the first time have assembled the core of the squad ahead of pre-season training. And we get a new owner.

lol. i think its a proper sign of change for newcastle united

my point being that no czech centrebacks have suited the premiership. i hope i'm proved wrong. he was player of the season at psg which says something.

He was also named in the Team of the Year as well for Ligue 1.

Played in the World Cup, but can't recall how he played.

my point being that no czech centrebacks have suited the premiership. i hope i'm proved wrong. he was player of the season at psg which says something.

when you say "no Czech centrebacks have suited the premiership", I can only think of Repka... who else are you thinking about?

:lol: Was just thinking the same. I'm half delirious at the fact that we look like bringing in 3 new signings in June - JUNE FFS!? At this rate Freddy can have August 31st off, or at the very least have an early finish. :lol:

:lol: Was just thinking the same. I'm half delirious at the fact that we look like bringing in 3 new signings in June - JUNE FFS!? At this rate Freddy can have August 31st off, or at the very least have an early finish. :lol:

I know. I'm not 100% about the Barton deal, but if anyone has a track record of sorting problem players it's SA. That aside, we actually look like we have a plan this close season. The pessimist in me says 'this is NUFC, when things are going good, we f--k it up spectacularly'. So I am waiting to come down with a huge crash...... :blush: