Shepherd set to sell up

Ketsbaia

Yeah I know what you're getting at, but I don't really rate his negotiating or finalising transfers

Owen?

Okay, the fuckers been injured for most of his stay here but at the time, dragging him up to his house in Northumberland with Shearer and Souness was a pretty good idea.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know what you're getting at, but I don't really rate his negotiating or finalising transfers

Owen?

Okay, the fuckers been injured for most of his stay here but at the time, dragging him up to his house in Northumberland with Shearer and Souness was a pretty good idea.

Paying him £120k in wages and shoving clauses in his contracts for agents to exploit was super shrewd tbh.

Player-wise the only decent bit of business he has done was the sale of Woodgate.

Fantastic news this. With fatty's shares out of the way the rest will quickly fall meaning he will hve complete control and hopefully be able to pump some cash in for transfers very soon.

Fuck me the first week of June isn't over yet and we're very close to having our new owner installed and four new players on the horizon.

And Bramble has gone.

It really doesn't get much better than this!

Owen?

Paying him £120k in wages and shoving clauses in his contracts for agents to exploit was super shrewd tbh.

Player-wise the only decent bit of business he has done was the sale of Woodgate.

Aye, the obscene amount we're paying him probably swung it but at the time it seemed a better idea than negotiating in the board room.

It's a compromise, it happens. Quite happy with it tbh. Shepherd's cringworthy PR gaffes aren't his biggest problem by any means.

Aye tbh it was probably needed to get FFS to part with the shares amicably(ish).

Hopefully it'll just be short term and once things are sorted he can get rid and get someone useful in like Arsenal's ex.

Fantastic news :lol:

Shepherd is now an employee, nothing more. He messes up- he's out on his ear....he does a good job- he stays. I don't have a problem with that.

oh, and W0000t!!! :lol::blush::D

I don't think Shepherd staying on means too much in the long run, after all, Ken Bates was retained as chairman of Chelsea initially when Abramovic took over, but wasn't around for long, I see this going a similar way.

I don't think Shepherd staying on means too much in the long run, after all, Ken Bates was retained as chairman of Chelsea initially when Abramovic took over, but wasn't around for long, I see this going a similar way.

:lol: It's bound to effect his ego, not being the top boy anymore.

I'd rather have seen a clean break, but at least this way it looks like being settled relatively quickly.

Maybe Fat Fuck staying on as Chairman is just a temporary transitional thing. Hopefully he'll piss off relatively soon when he realises he's just making up numbers. Didn't Ken Bates hang around like a bd smell at Chelasea for while before going off to make Leeds even more crap?

And I know its quite different, but there was that weird thing where Roy Evans sat about on the bench with Houllier for half a season or so at Liverpool a while back.

So hopefully we'll all be able to breathe a huge collective sigh of relief in the not too distant future when Fatty packs his bags for good.

agreed. he won't hang around for long when he realises he doesn't have a say in how the club is run anymore.

unless he fancies being ashley's yes man.

it would be best for everyone if he fucked off tbh.

why does he have to stay as chairman whole idea of new start is that new fucking start not that fat prick hanging around acting like he runs the place

why does he have to stay as chairman whole idea of new start is that new fucking start not that fat prick hanging around acting like he runs the place

Where the fuck did we get you from? :lol:

Really happy with the news, cheered me up at work today!

Obviously in an ideal situation it would have been a clean break from Fat Fred, but this is still great news. It will now all be sorted really quickly allowing Ashley and the club to move on with their plans straight away and spend money on players.

Also whilst Fred is still here, as people have said he has no real authority, he answers to a boss and can find himself out on his arse if he pushes his luck!

If keeping him on as chairman got the deal sorted smoothly and quickly instead of dragging it on and hindering our dealings then it was shrewd business by Ashley to be honest.

A big plus is that we haven't got this buisness hanging over us for the close season. I know we've already started, but now we can really concentrate on rebuilding the team and getting ready for next season.

A big plus is that we haven't got this buisness hanging over us for the close season. I know we've already started, but now we can really concentrate on rebuilding the team and getting ready for next season.

It'll be really interesting to see what kind of money we spend. I don't think anyone is expecting Abramovic kind of spending, i'm certainly not, but you'd expect a healthy investment in players.

Hopefully this will allow Big Sam to bring in his freebies and cheaper deals as well as a few bigger deals to give us the squad we need. And then more quality players we can bring in, the better chance we have of being able to get rid of the likes of Babayaro and Carr etc.

leazes is seething

To quote him...

"The main point being - if Fred remains as a chairman - that people will realise that the chairman isn't the major shareholder and isn't making the big decisons on his own, but that was the case anyway.

If the club are now [more] successful, who will get the credit, the chairman or the major shareholder :D

Likewise, I'm pretty sure who will get the blame if we are not. ;)

You couldn't make it up........"

It'll be really interesting to see what kind of money we spend. I don't think anyone is expecting Abramovic kind of spending, i'm certainly not, but you'd expect a healthy investment in players.

Hopefully this will allow Big Sam to bring in his freebies and cheaper deals as well as a few bigger deals to give us the squad we need. And then more quality players we can bring in, the better chance we have of being able to get rid of the likes of Babayaro and Carr etc.

Good point. I'm glad Allardyce is our manager now - even if he's given a large transfer kitty, you'd still expect him to be interested in freebies and cheap deals to strengthen the squad, whereas a lot of other managers probably couldn't resist the temptation to blow any new investment on a small number of expensive big-name players.

Edited by Bombadil

leazes is seething

To quote him...

"The main point being - if Fred remains as a chairman - that people will realise that the chairman isn't the major shareholder and isn't making the big decisons on his own, but that was the case anyway.

If the club are now [more] successful, who will get the credit, the chairman or the major shareholder ;)

Likewise, I'm pretty sure who will get the blame if we are not. B)

You couldn't make it up........"

Freddie is a 'top boss' ?

:D

Edited by gram

If he were to get as many as 90% of the shares, he could de-list the company from the Stock Exchange making the company no longer a plc.

I thought it was 75% :D

Shepherd set to hand over shares but retain his role

The Times

Freddy Shepherd appeared yesterday to have engineered the business equivalent of having his cake and eating it after agreeing to sell his shares in Newcastle United to Mike Ashley, the billionaire businessman.

Shepherd will receive £37.2 million for his 29.8 per cent stake to pave the way for Ashley to assume control at St James’ Park in a deal that is expected to be confirmed to the Stock Exchange within the next 24 hours. However, rather than use the transaction as a natural end to his decade-long presence on the board, Shepherd is expected to remain as a salaried chairman – albeit with a reduced say in the day-to-day running of the club – alongside a team of executives handpicked by the incoming owner.

The continued involvement of Shepherd, a man who is known to split opinion on Tyneside, will dismay many supporters who expected him to slip into retirement, especially after the recent health problems encountered by the 65-year-old, who is recovering at home after a recent stay in hospital suffering from complications brought on by pneumonia.

The conclusion of the deal will result in Ashley – who met Sam Allardyce, the new manager, for the first time this week while on Tyneside to conclude negotiations with Shepherd – owning about 70 per cent of shares in the club after he paid £55 million for the Hall family’s 41.6 per cent interest a fortnight ago.

Ashley, Britain’s 25th-richest man, is worth an estimated £1.9 billion and has agreements in place to take him beyond the 75 per cent of shares required to assume full control at St James’ Park. The Hertfordshire-based sports-wear magnate is expected to push towards the 90 per cent required to delist the club from the Stock Exchange, a scenario that could prove to be the trigger for Shepherd’s departure. Ashley’s £133.1 million takeover proposals promise £1 a share to shareholders, with formal offers expected to be sent out before the end of the week.

Yesterday, Allardyce used a significant slice of the estimated £40 million transfer fund Ashley has placed at his disposal by finalising a £5.5 million bid for Joey Barton, his first signing since taking charge last month. A player whose career is littered with off-the-field mis-demeanours – the England midfield player has been bailed until next month after an alleged assault on Ousmane Dabo, a former Manchester City teammate – acknowledged the debt that he owes to Allardyce.

“Newcastle have pushed the boat out for me and made me feel wanted,” he said. “I’m not proud of some of the things I’ve done and I’ve brought a lot of problems on myself, but I want to be a winner.”

Although he can hardly be described as being on the bread-line after negotiating a five-year contract worth in excess of £55,000 a week, Barton turned down an opportunity to earn significantly more at West Ham United. “Some footballers might be about flash cars and expensive watches,” he said. “For me it’s all about winning medals because it hurts me that I haven’t any yet.”

Barton is the first of half a dozen signings Allardyce hopes to make this summer, with Mark Viduka, the Australia forward, scheduled to resume talks over a Bosman free transfer from Middlesbrough tomorrow. The move for David Rozehnal, the Czech Republic defender, has edged closer after Newcastle made an approach to Paris Saint-Germain for the player, who is valued at £3 million by the French club. The pursuit of Tal Ben Haim, the Bolton Wanderers defender, and Leighton Baines, the Wigan Athletic left back, is continuing.

Ashley to buy Newcastle chair’s stake

By Tom Braithwaite

Published: June 6 2007 20:55 | Last updated: June 6 2007 20:55

Mike Ashley, the sports wear billionaire, was on Wednesday night poised to take control of Newcastle United after winning over Freddy Shepherd, the football club’s chairman.

The £133.1m takeover appeared to be going ahead after Mr Shepherd agreed to accept the 100p-a-share offer for his 28 per cent stake. The chairman is also likely to stay on at the club in an as yet undefined role.

ADVERTISEMENT

It marks the latest in a flurry of high-profile deals by the intensely private Mr Ashley, who made £929m in February when he sold 43 per cent of his Sports Direct retail empire.

The retailer’s shares have floundered since the flotation after a breakdown in communication with investors and analysts and last month’s departure of the company’s chairman.

Mr Shepherd’s stake, worth about £37.3m, is likely to give Mr Ashley the keys to St James’ Park, Newcastle’s stadium, when combined with the 41.6 per cent acquired from Sir John Hall, the leading shareholder, last month.

It comes at the end of a painful day for one of Mr Ashley’s rivals. Tom Knight, chief executive of JJB Sports and a Newcastle supporter, is understood to hold about 0.75 per cent of the club.

Taking £1m for his shares from Mr Ashley is unlikely to cushion the blow of seeing the club pass into his rival’s control and comes after JJB shares on Wednesday suffered a sharp sell-off following a disappointing trading update.

Other fans on Tyneside have welcomed the Ashley takeover after becoming frustrated at years of under-achievement.

“People are looking for a total change in the way Newcastle United is run,” said Mark Jensen, editor of a club fanzine. “That can probably only be achieved by having totally different people at the top.”

The transaction breaks a run of foreign acquirers buying Premiership clubs. Last season saw Liverpool, West Ham United and Aston Villa bought by overseas investors.

Newcastle’s £133.1m price tag is lower than that of Liverpool, which was sold in a deal valuing it at £219m, and Manchester United, which was sold in 2005 for £809m.

The entrepreneur’s purchase of Sir John’s stake came as a shock to Mr Shepherd, who was being treated in hospital at the time. Mr Ashley has since conducted a charm offensive at the chairman’s bedside, convincing him to part with his shares.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7e0bd8b6-1463-11dc...0b5df10621.html

Freddy saves face and retires "due to ill health" within a few months.

The last couple of weeks have been sensational. The Newcastle United soap opera is truly a magnificent thing

Its its a bit like if Eastenders threw a plane crash into the plot at Albert Square. Chance to clear out the deadwood and bring decent new faces in!

Wasnt Freddie quoted at saying he's never hung about in his past businesses?

This obviously means that the Dein idea is off.