United made me feel wanted

Scottish Mag

Joey Barton will ignore late bids by both West Ham and Manchester City to sign a five-year contract for Newcastle United in the next 24 hours.

And United will pull off a double whammy by "stealing" Mark Viduka from Middlesbrough on a three-year deal tomorrow.

And speaking for the first time on his £5.5m move to St James' Park from Manchester City, which will go through once a couple of technicalities have been sorted out, Barton said today: "I have given my word to Newcastle United and that's where I hope I will be going.

"Everybody knows they are a club of great history and tradition - and this is great - but what has also been great for me is that they have pushed the boat out for me, and both Freddy Shepherd and Sam Allardyce have made me feel so wanted."

The Chronicle can reveal that after he was at St James' Park for talks yesterday with his agent Willie McKay, Barton went to Shepherd's Tyneside home, where the chairman is recuperating after illness, to thank him personally for showing such faith in him.

Barton also met major shareholder Mike Ashley at the club's training ground yesterday.

Of course, Barton's problems have been well documented, but in Allardyce United have the man to ensure these are all in the past.

Allardyce has already told Barton to do his stuff on the field and leave his off-the-field problems to the manager to sort out.

Barton's deal will be worth around £17.5m to the 24-year-old Liverpool-born midfielder over five years, and he will be looking to add to his one England cap in his time at St James'.

He added: "I am not proud of some of the things I have done and that I have brought a lot of my problems on myself. But I want to be a winner, not only for myself but for the fans.

"I have heard it said that footballers are all about flash cars and expensive watches, but for me it's all about winning medals and it hurts me that I haven't any."

One of the things Barton will give United is the bottle that was lacking at places like Fulham, Wigan Athletic, Charlton Athletic and Portsmouth at the end of last season.

He will be joined at St James' by Viduka, who returned from holiday today and will sign tomorrow.

He certainly has proved over the last few months that he can still have a lot to offer.

5th striker i think behind carroll

Carroll was meant to be going on loan for the season. Not sure what the situation is now though.

he is basically a better sibierski, better suited for likes of owen and martins

On what basis is Carroll better than Ameobi? :lol:

Jesus wept.

He's not Shola Ameobi, thats enough for some people.

From the Daily Mail

Joey Barton has given his word to Newcastle after being made to feel wanted.

The 24-year-old Manchester City midfielder is expected to complete a £5.5million move to St James' Park today once the remaining administrative details are finalised.

However, Barton admitted he knew where his future lay after meeting manager Sam Allardyce, chairman Freddy Shepherd and prospective owner Mike Ashley yesterday.

He said: "I have given my word to Newcastle United and that is where I hope I will be going.

"Everybody knows they are a club of great history and tradition - and that is great - but what has also been great for me is that they have pushed the boat out for me, and both Freddy Shepherd and Sam Allardyce have made me feel so wanted."

Barton visited Shepherd at his home, where he is recovering from illness after opening negotiations yesterday, to thank him for his attention, and quickly made up his mind.

His capture would be the first of Allardyce's reign, and could be swiftly followed by the arrival of out-of-contract Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka.

The 31-year-old is expected to formally open talks tomorrow after agreeing in principle to join the club.

Allardyce's determination to do business early - he only returned to his desk on Monday - will impress the club's fans, although he knows he will have to reassure them that the problems which have blighted Barton's career to date are behind him.

The outspoken England international knows he has made mistakes in the past, and is intent on proving himself on the pitch all over again.

He said: "I am not proud of some of the things I have done and know I have brought a lot of my problems on myself. But I want to be a winner, not only for myself, but for the fans.

"I have heard it said that footballers are all about flash cars and expensive watches, but for me, it is all about winning medals and it hurts me that I haven't any."

Nor do any of the men who have pulled on the famous black and white shirt since 1969 but, as Allardyce plans for the future, the club's fans will hope their wait for a trophy comes to an end sooner rather than later.

I hope that annoying bird doesn't ring You're on Sky Sports pleading for him to stay at Citeh. 'oh Joey kid i love you to bits i really do!' ffs!

btw, what age is Barton? 24?

Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand he's a good player; on the other hand he hates Lampard.

I'm liking this signing more and more